News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

How has 6th edition effected your armies?

Started by Brassclaw, July 18, 2012, 06:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Flamers really are wonderful, and I think will be the big question as to if you take more plasma (given that cover saves are worse now) vs flamers.  I can see melta being downgraded a bit, as you can now reliably glance light/medium vehicles to death, but you'll still need something to stop those heavy tanks from shooting at you.

Hull Points actually did that quite well in terms of separating out light tanks vs heavy tanks, as there's now no penalty to your shooting if you're glanced (no more stun-locking!), but transports are whittled down within the first two or three rounds.  You can't just sit back and wait out the five turns and then rush to win.

The whole not being able to score when in transports also makes a big difference, as it is much more hazardous to disembark now, given that you can only move 6" before getting out of your ride...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

knightperson

As a Chaos Daemons player, allow me to point out that Flamers of Tzeentch in particular, and anything else that can wield Breath of Chaos in general, are now unmitigated awesome! If the other guy brings flyers then an army heavy to B of C is going to have problems, but in the current state of the game if your opponent is bringing flyers and you aren't, you're in trouble anyway. Breath of Chaos has been a favorite ability of mine for quite a while, but with the ability to glance vehicles to death so much more easily and the automatic hits on overwatch it's right off the charts. Let's see, I could have 3 squads of Flamers, 4 Heralds, and 3 Daemon Princes with it. Up to 10 units with the Flamer Template Of Doom!

Oh, the halved chance of Death By Deepstrike Mishap doesn't hurt my feelings either. Neither does the default 5+ cover save that everybody else gets while I'm still take a 4+ invulnerable on my Tzeentch units.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

I found out on Monday that the only way my Hellions get Hammer of Wrath is if they're slowed down quite a bit the turn they charge. This makes them even more vulnerable than I'd thought they were sadly. Still, I've already dropped one unit for Beastmasters, the other 3 are staying because I like them.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on July 26, 2012, 10:23:55 AM
I found out on Monday that the only way my Hellions get Hammer of Wrath is if they're slowed down quite a bit the turn they charge. This makes them even more vulnerable than I'd thought they were sadly. Still, I've already dropped one unit for Beastmasters, the other 3 are staying because I like them.

Yeap. So until you get to that magic distance to use the Hammer of Wrath you will need to move very fast to close in on the unit you want to assault. Personally I opt not to use the Hammer of Wrath as that would often mean that I will overkill stuff, and that's always a bad thing for assaulters, unless of course you are charging terminators (but who in their rigth mind charge an uninjured terminator squad?).

Wargamer

On the subject of "light vs heavy" tanks, I lost my Land Raider due to Glancing Hits last game. I know that there's no stun-lock, but the thing is that a Russ or Land Raider (or any big scary vehicle) that is stunned for five turns on the trot has been drawing fire for five turns. If your tank dies turn 3, then that's two turns where you don't have a fire magnet.

I stand by my assessment of big tanks; they're going to die faster, but they'll do more damage before they go down.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

BigToof

Has anyone tried the "Regenerating Battlewagon" trick?
One of my mates took a Battlewagon, with Lootas and a Mek with an IC Big Mek attached to them.
Whenever the Wagon takes a glance, the Mek and Big Mek repair the lost hull point.
As Wagons have FOUR (yes, just like a Land Raider) Hull Points, it's enormously frustrating to take apart.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

crisis_vyper

Quote from: BigToof on July 26, 2012, 12:50:49 PM
Has anyone tried the "Regenerating Battlewagon" trick?
One of my mates took a Battlewagon, with Lootas and a Mek with an IC Big Mek attached to them.
Whenever the Wagon takes a glance, the Mek and Big Mek repair the lost hull point.
As Wagons have FOUR (yes, just like a Land Raider) Hull Points, it's enormously frustrating to take apart.

Best,
-BT

You could also use the Burnas for that as well.

BigToof

Gads, that sounds even more irritating as you just couldn't assault it.
Hmm, so can't shoot it.  Can't Assault it, and it has a Deffrolla...
Sounds fun :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

crisis_vyper

Quote from: BigToof on July 26, 2012, 12:54:15 PM
Gads, that sounds even more irritating as you just couldn't assault it.
Hmm, so can't shoot it.  Can't Assault it, and it has a Deffrolla...
Sounds fun :)

Best,
-BT

Yeah, sounds fun indeed. The orks have a lot of interesting combos now.

InsaneTD

BigToof

NOTHING (at least right now) is as epic as Nob Bikers in the current Look Out Sir/Spread the wounds love environment.  Making the Burnawagon neigh unstoppable (except for you know... melta) is fun, but has serious counters.  However, you now cannot do the old "Oh, I'll just shoot autocannons in the side armor until it goes away" tactic.  You actually have to use dedicated weapons to take it out, which, depending on what's inside the Wagon may be the entire point of the whole setup...
Ok, I'm gonna try one of these then.  They sound too much fun :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

El ShasOcho

Definitely going to enjoy this edition as an ork player, that is if I ever actually get some games in :P

Going to add some nob bikers for sure. Fast attack is two dakkajets and some koptas, my kans likely won't see daylight nor will my dread, grots to camp on an objective surrounded by ageis with a quad gun will definitely be featured.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

The Man They Call Jayne

Played a game against Swolve just now with my Tau. The only word for it was massacre. I lost 13 models, he was left with a single wolf scout in a 2000 point game.

His Land Raider went down turn 1 to a Railgun, his Predator followed turn 2. Massed Pulse fire and overwatch took down his Thunderwolves and Lord on wolf.

I also took a Farseer and Pathfinders as allies and Doom and Guide really helped out.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

knightperson

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 26, 2012, 02:25:25 PM
Played a game against Swolve just now with my Tau. The only word for it was massacre. I lost 13 models, he was left with a single wolf scout in a 2000 point game.

His Land Raider went down turn 1 to a Railgun, his Predator followed turn 2. Massed Pulse fire and overwatch took down his Thunderwolves and Lord on wolf.

I also took a Farseer and Pathfinders as allies and Doom and Guide really helped out.

Did the Eldar FAQ specify that you can Guide allied units? The description says that you can buff an Eldar unit, not a Friendly, so my reading is that you can't. Of course, Doom works on the enemy, so it's legal.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

The Man They Call Jayne

As Battle Brothers they can benefit can't they?

Althought I should clarify that I only gave Guide to the Pathfinder unit all game, but Dooming an enemy unit is VERY helpful when using Pulse Rifles.

I wonder if the Doom effect would work on Overwatch too. . .
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4