News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Whirlwind Hunter

Started by Wargamer, July 24, 2012, 01:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

The Whirlwind Hunter was developed to provide Astartes ground forces with a reliable anti-air platform. Based on the Whirlwind, the Hunter replaces the conventional multi-launcher with a drum-fed hunter killer platform mated to a sophisticated logic engine and targeting auger. The weapons payload is more than enough to bring down even the most heavily-armoured flyer, whilst its advanced targeting algorithms ensure that once a flyer has been locked on, there is little hope of evading the attack.

Due to the success of the Hunter, some Chapters have begun adding additional launcher platforms onto the vehicle, doubling its already lethal firepower.

Whirlwind Hunters are not designed to engage ground forces, but at a push they can be pressed into the role.

Any Black Templar, Blood Angel, Dark Angel, Space Marine or Space Wolf army may purchase a Whirlwind Hunter as a Heavy Support choice.

CostFASARABs
Whirlwind Hunter951111104
Unit Size: 1.Unit Type: Tank.
Wargear:
  • Hunter Launcher.
  • Smoke Launchers.
  • Searchlight.
Options:
  • May purchase a second Hunter Launcher at +25pts.
  • May purchase any upgrade available to the Whirlwind.

Hunter Launcher:
Range: 72" Str: 8 AP 3 Type: Ordnance 1, Twin-Linked, Skyfire, Auto-Targeting System.
Auto-Targeting System: Target units cannot claim a 'Jink' save against shots fired from a Hunter Launcher.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Railgun Convention

Wasn't there already the Hyperios pattern Whirlwind, which did pretty much the same thing? Should be in IA2.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Charistoph

That is remarkably cheap for how nasty it can be, imo.  At least it isn't AP:2 or 1.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

BigToof

Umm... Sorry to say, but the 6th rules say that blasts can't hit flyers...

Methinks this needs a special rule :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Railgun Convention

Quote from: BigToof on July 24, 2012, 02:25:39 PM
Umm... Sorry to say, but the 6th rules say that blasts can't hit flyers...
's not a blast weapon. It's just a really big missile.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Wargamer

Quote from: Charistoph on July 24, 2012, 02:24:40 PM
That is remarkably cheap for how nasty it can be, imo.  At least it isn't AP:2 or 1.
I was debating back and forth with a lot of factors... the Hydra, for example, is only 75pts and for that it gets four 72" TL autocannon shots, with the Skyfire and Advanced Targeting rules.

The Hunter is certainly scarier against tougher flyers / skimmers, but the Ork / DE flyers will likely be far more afraid of the Hydra, which as I said is cheaper.

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Lord Sotek

If this is basically a Whirlwind armed with an HK-launcher on crack (or possibly krak :P ), shouldn't its missiles have infinite range like HK's do?
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Wargamer

Quote from: Lord Sotek on July 24, 2012, 04:46:30 PM
If this is basically a Whirlwind armed with an HK-launcher on crack (or possibly krak :P ), shouldn't its missiles have infinite range like HK's do?
"infinite range" is not something I like unless the weapon blatantly deserves it (ie: it's an ICBM!). Presumably, the Whirlwind cannot maintain a lock-on beyond a certain range, and thus cannot fire beyond that range.

Tactical Genius

Sounds pretty cool to me. i think that it should probably be a rounded 100 pts but it shounds nice. not very tough but will really give flyers somthing to think about. and ofcourse if cant really be used against anything esle so if your oponent doesnt bring a flyer then its pretty wasted.
"OI, Close the skylight"
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on Today at 08:10:48 PM
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.