News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Feast of Blades [SM][Tau]

Started by Matt1785, July 24, 2012, 01:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt1785

Hey All,

I suppose this is a foolish endeavor as I am mostly a story / fun player going to a tournament.. but the tournament is the best place to meet new players and the games require people to fully paint armies which is also a great opportunity to see cool armies... Anyway, I run a list that I like but am I going to just get utterly destroyed with this list?  Any pointers on how to use Tau units I've picked effectively?  Anyway, here is the list.

Primary Force - 'The Sanctum Sons' Space Marines w/ Tau Allies

HQ: 145 Pts
Sol Korvan, Savior of Torian Prime, Captain of the 2nd
Space Marine Captain - Thunder Hammer, Artificer Armor, Melta Bombs

Elites: 215 Pts
Squad Arius - Sons of Vengeance
Sternguard Veteran Squad - 2x Combi-Meltas, Sergeant w/ Power Fist, Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Missile Launcher

Troops: 385 Pts
Tactical Squad Teracor - The Conquerers
10x Tactical Squad - Melta Gun, Missile Launcher, Sergeant w/ Power Fist
Tactical Squad Faul - The Wrathful
10x Tactical Squad - Melta Gun, Missile Launcher, Sergeant w/ Plasma Pistol, Chainsword

Heavy Support: 250 Pts
Devastator Squad Orlaq - The Linebreakers
10x Devastators - 2x Missile Launcher, 2x Plasma Cannon

Fortification: 100 Pts
Aegis Defence Line w/ Quad Gun

Allies - Tau (I could use some help with this obviously... not a real lore freak when it comes to the Tau...  Although there is a story here, I can feel it)

HQ: 190 Pts
Shas'o (Again, names escape me), Twin-Linked Plasma Rifle, HW Drone Controller, Iridium Armor, Stimulant Injector, Shield Generator, 2x Shield Drones

Elites: 222 Pts
Stalkers of Shadow
5x Stealth Suits - Shas'vre w/ Fusion Blaster, HW Drone Controller, 2x Shield Drones

Troops: 275 Pts
6x Fire Warriors, Shas'ui w/ Bonding Knife, Devilfish w/ Multi-Tracker, Targeting Array
10x Fire Warriors, Shas'ui w/ Bonding Knife

Heavy Support: 205 Pts
2x Broadsides - Shas'vre w/ Bonding Knife, HW Drone Controller, Targeting Array, w/ 2x Shield Drones Broadside w/ Targeting Array

Battle Plan - Stealth Suits I have always liked, especially with the XV-15s being released in Finecast.  I have always liked the models and stealth suits are pretty good so they can be my shock troops.. should I reserve these guys to outflank or should I infiltrate them?  The Devastators combat squad to make the most of their two weapons.  ML for small tanks, Plasma Cannons for the 2+ save majority.  Broadsides for the heavy heavies.  Marines to move up to objectives while the Tau big squad holds my home objective.  Devilfish squad I am considering reserving to come on later and move quickly to take an objective... although they are a small squad.  Aegis defense line goes forward to give me a solid line to hold an objective possibly.  Overall I really love the models, and the story I've been putting toegether for the army, but suggestions on how to use units properly would be great.  What would you conceive of strategy-wise for this army?... Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?  Thanks for all help offered.

Carrelio

Alright... so I only know as much about marines as I can get from killing them... but I do know Tau... and I know enough about 6th edition to let those Tau be of service to you. As such, I will be focusing on the Tau aspects of this army, but I will also suggest places where your marines can synthesize well with the Tau.

First off, you're Tau commander.  I think you're wasting a huge opportunity for synthesized abuse between a Tau independent character and marines.  You're clearly going for the Shield'O build, and thats fine... but realize that this build is made to soak up damage for a squad... and if you're going that route, you can make him not just soak up damage for them... but also boost them in so many ways its silly!

First off, give him an advanced stabilization system.  Why? It grants him, and any unit he is with Slow and Purposeful any movement phase he wants (so if you are close to getting charged and want to overwatch in the coming assault phase, don't use his slow and purposeful)!  Next he needs a hardwired blacksun filter.  For 3 points, he and his squad are ignoring night fight.  So... pick who you want to be slow and purposeful and night fight, and join him to that squad (I was thinking devastators myself... but then I would make all the heavy weapons the same and not combat squad... oh and change his TL-plasma to the appropriate choice to synthesize with the heavy weapon you choose).  To save some points, a Shas'El is just a little worse, but basically does the same thing.

Your stealth suits can be deployed either way they are very flexible and that makes them pretty sweet, but drop that shas'vre to team leader, and give him a hardwired black sun filter.  You don't need shield drones on this unit as they always get a 4+ cover save.

Your fire warriors do not need bonding knives, but they should take the blacksun filters instead.  The team of 6 in the devilfish (while effective in 5th) is now not a good idea. 6 fire warriors are easier to kill than running over a guardsman in a Russ, and now troops inside vehicles don't score.  The second they leave the devilfish, they die.  Likewise, don't expect that 10 man unit to do any better in the back of the board holding your objectives.  Tau got better at shooting in this edition... not better at living.  Use your marines to hold the objectives, use your Tau to take them! I'd say go for something like 10 fire warriors with a shas'ui, black sun filter, and drone controller with 2 gun drones, in a devilfish (load it out to your own preferences... I might consider a fully loaded warfish just for the shock value of a vehicle that moves 12 inches, fire 7 S5 AP5 shots at BS4, and 4 of those shots don't even need line of sight!).

Broadsides can also save 5 points by taking a teamleader instead of shas'vre.

As a fun trick you might want to try, a librarian with gate of infinity will be able to teleport your broadsides behind enemy lines, where they will be able to strike the side and rear armour of advancing tanks... don't know if that's practical, but it sure would not be something your opponent would be expecting.

That's all.

Matt1785

Excellent, so great to get some input on the list, especially for the side that I am least knowledgeable on at this point in time.  Slow and Purposeful, I know that this rule got so much better in this edition as it basically makes you relentless, but does that mean that the entire unit becomes relentless?  I did not think that the bonuses for such a thing would transfer to the unit...  If this was the case then it would be most interesting to put him with the Devastators and change his weapons load out.

Yes, I was making him a shield system to absorb fire... although I am deathly afraid of the random S8 hit that I'm bound to face in tournaments... and with his size his look out sir would be almost impossible to pull off... even if he's with Space Marines.

Stealthsuits.. I will dump the Vre upgrade.. should I keep the Fusion Blaster on the leader?  I feel like it's good to have a really surviveable unit with a reliable anti-tank gun.. although his accuracy makes me wary.  I like these suits, and the XV-15 suits are awesome, so I'm glad these are not guys that I should ditch.

Fire Warriors... I have to agree with you.  I have been looking at the 6 man squad and thinking that I'm not going to be able to get these guys to survive.  I had forgotten that if they're in the vehicle then they do nothing... and that if they move over 12 they can't get out...  good catch there.. I had not remembered that.  Shoot... I'm not sure I have the points to up them to 10 man squads..... and I'd also have to get 2 more painted... as well as the Devilfish of which I have none painted!  Ahh!  Need to get that baby cooking.

As for jumping with the Broadsides... I don't think so, the range is only 24" and you scatter when you place yourselves.. not to mention I'm not sure they'd be able to make their points back if I was only able to kill one tank.  I will drop the vre upgrade on them as well.

Good catch on Night Fight.. with it always being night fight in the first turn of all of the missions for the tournament this will be awesome to bring to the table.  Denying the cover save will be great against Nob Bikers and fast moving opponents.  Thanks for input, I shall work out the list and re-work.  Thanks.

Carrelio

Slow and Purposeful under the new edition is that if one model from the unit has it, the unit has it.  Similar to nightfight, stealth, shrouded, ATSKNF, etc.  Devs would love it, as would regular marines since it basically makes them relentless (rapid fire and charge with bolters? sounds good).

Don't worry about a Shield'O survivability.  They are super durable.  He's an IC so his LOS is on a 2+.  Short of a full longfang missile barrage he's not going anywhere and will work great to defend a squad of marines from harm.

Stealth suits are a cool shock troop style unit.  Very flexible.  I'd keep the fusion blaster, but don't expect the stealths to hunt tanks.  It's a lucky shot in the dark at best when you take a tank down with them.

Wasn't sure if you'd be interested in the broadside bounce, I'm not even sure if I am... though I do intend to try it out... especially with fire warriors (because who can say no to firewarriors with ATSKNF teleporting about the battlefield).

Unusual Suspect

It should probably be noted that dropping the Broadside 'vre to an 'ui Team Leader means, unfortunately, that you lose the Character designation (a character in regards to the unit type, not as a character is defined in the Tau Empire Codex, that is).

Is 5 points worth the potential Precision Fire on the off-chance you're firing Railguns or Plasma into non-vehicles, as well as mostly useless stat increases that also come with the Shas'vre upgrade?  Is gaining those benefits worth the potential of being called out for personal combat by other Characters?

That's for you to decide.  I'm just not sure its quite so clear cut that the drop isn't worth reconsidering...
I you private dancer.