News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Rolling to determine whats in your army list?

Started by Arguleon-veq, February 24, 2013, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

Me and a few mates decided that we would try to add a new element to our games and get some use out of models that dont see much action.

So we got the army books for the armies that we own the most unit choices for and rolled 4 times on the troops section [for example guard goes; Inf Platoon, Vets, Penal Legion so we would roll a D3 4 times, Eldar goes Dire Avengers, Rangers, Guardians, Bikes so we would just roll a D6 and re roll any result above 4], once on HQ and twice on HS, FA and Elites. Re rolling any results for units we dont own. Then making an 1850 point list out of it, if it isnt quite enough we would roll to see what extra choice we get and then roll again in the section we got.

Its actually ended up with 3 pretty interesting army lists that we plan to use against each other and see how they do against regular constructed army lists.

I think its a pretty fun way to build a list and should add an extra element to some of your games if your getting bored of your gaming group using the same take on all comers lists game in, game out. Has anybody else tried something like this? how did it work out?

Here are the lists we ended up with:

Orks - 1850
Weirdboy; Warphead
10 Burnas;
10 Tankbustas;
10 Kommandos; 2 Burnas, Nob with Bosspole and Bigchoppa
30 Shoota Boys; 3 Big Shootas, Nob with Bosspole and Powerclaw
10 Grots; Slaver
10 Grots; Slaver
10 Boys; Nob with Powerclaw and Bosspole
Truck; Riggers, Chukkas
5 Deathkoptas; Rockits, Buzzsaw
2 Warbuggies;
Battlewagon; Boomgun, 4 Big Shootas, Riggers, Chukkas
Lootedwagon; Boomgun, 1 Big Shoota
5 Flash Gitz; All weapon upgrades

Eldar - 1850
Yriel;
5 Pathfinders;
5 Pathfinders;
3 Bikes;
20 Guardians; Conceal Warlock with Spear, Scatter Laser
5 Wraithguard; Conceal Warlock with Spear
6 Banshees;
5 Warp Spiders; Exarch with extra Spinner
2 Vypers; Double Shuricannon
2 Warwalkers; Double Scatter Lasers
5 Dark Reapers; Exarch with Tempest and Crack Shot
Wraithlord; Sword and Lance

Imperial Guard - 1850
Lord Commissar; Axe, Melta Bombs
6 Ogryns;
5 Rough Riders;
5 Ratlings;
2 Scout Sentinals; Autocannons
Platoon Command;
40 Guardsmen; 3 Axes, 3 Autocannon, 3 Flamers, Comm with Melta Bombs
Platoon Command;
40 Guardsmen; 3 Axes, 3 Missiles, 3 Meltas, Comm with Melta Bombs
10 Vets; Camo, Lascannon, 3 Plasmaguns
10 Penal Legionaires;
2 Hydras;
2 Basilisks;
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on February 24, 2013, 03:52:43 AM
Me and a few mates decided that we would try to add a new element to our games and get some use out of models that dont see much action.

So we got the army books for the armies that we own the most unit choices for and rolled 4 times on the troops section [for example guard goes; Inf Platoon, Vets, Penal Legion so we would roll a D3 4 times, Eldar goes Dire Avengers, Rangers, Guardians, Bikes so we would just roll a D6 and re roll any result above 4], once on HQ and twice on HS, FA and Elites. Re rolling any results for units we dont own. Then making an 1850 point list out of it, if it isnt quite enough we would roll to see what extra choice we get and then roll again in the section we got.

Its actually ended up with 3 pretty interesting army lists that we plan to use against each other and see how they do against regular constructed army lists.

I think its a pretty fun way to build a list and should add an extra element to some of your games if your getting bored of your gaming group using the same take on all comers lists game in, game out. Has anybody else tried something like this? how did it work out?

Here are the lists we ended up with:

Orks - 1850
Weirdboy; Warphead
10 Burnas;
10 Tankbustas;
10 Kommandos; 2 Burnas, Nob with Bosspole and Bigchoppa
30 Shoota Boys; 3 Big Shootas, Nob with Bosspole and Powerclaw
10 Grots; Slaver
10 Grots; Slaver
10 Boys; Nob with Powerclaw and Bosspole
Truck; Riggers, Chukkas
5 Deathkoptas; Rockits, Buzzsaw
2 Warbuggies;
Battlewagon; Boomgun, 4 Big Shootas, Riggers, Chukkas
Lootedwagon; Boomgun, 1 Big Shoota
5 Flash Gitz; All weapon upgrades

Eldar - 1850
Yriel;
5 Pathfinders;
5 Pathfinders;
3 Bikes;
20 Guardians; Conceal Warlock with Spear, Scatter Laser
5 Wraithguard; Conceal Warlock with Spear
6 Banshees;
5 Warp Spiders; Exarch with extra Spinner
2 Vypers; Double Shuricannon
2 Warwalkers; Double Scatter Lasers
5 Dark Reapers; Exarch with Tempest and Crack Shot
Wraithlord; Sword and Lance

Imperial Guard - 1850
Lord Commissar; Axe, Melta Bombs
6 Ogryns;
5 Rough Riders;
5 Ratlings;
2 Scout Sentinals; Autocannons
Platoon Command;
40 Guardsmen; 3 Axes, 3 Autocannon, 3 Flamers, Comm with Melta Bombs
Platoon Command;
40 Guardsmen; 3 Axes, 3 Missiles, 3 Meltas, Comm with Melta Bombs
10 Vets; Camo, Lascannon, 3 Plasmaguns
10 Penal Legionaires;
2 Hydras;
2 Basilisks;

Random gear and weapons would be cool to. I try out different weapons to see how they work. Like grenade launchers for guard which has worked for me with special weapons teams. Sadly never tried it on vets, melta and plasma makes that hard.

Anyway I am in retirement for a bit and just looking at games. Once th daemon codex comes out I'll dust off my second most metal heavy army and may play with it.

Lord Sotek

This sounds like an incredibly fun and refreshing idea. Massive kudos to you, and I can't wait to see how the battle goes! :)
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Narric

If/when I get back into the gaming scene, I'll definately put it forward. However, it would easier if I didn't have to rely on GWs for a game.

Deraj

My best friend did this last weekend at a tourney and ended up with (I don't remember the exact list) something like a captain, 5 assault terminators, 10 assault marines in a drop pod, 2 vindicators, a normal unit of marines, and a unit of sniper scouts. I looked over the list and started laughing, until against all logic... it was damned unbeatable. He got first place. He beat a Typhus/Epidimus combo.

Arguleon-veq

My mate used the Eldar list the other day against Guard. He pulled out the win in a close game which made it fun for both players whereas if he had used his take on all comer GK he probably would have won fairly easily and they both would have had a boring game.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33