News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

What daemons should I buy???

Started by Chicop76, March 09, 2013, 02:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

I still going through the codex seeing endless combos and what not. The problem is deamons is not a cheap army to get and figuring out what to add to my army is a tough problem. That is why I would like some help and or opinions to guide me and anyone else to buy the models they need and not spend too much money buying models they will never use.

1. Ok I know I want a herald or two of Slaanesh. 1 with Beguilment and the other with Grimoire of True Names. The ideal is to give the squad +3 invulnerable saves and be able to challenge and kill characters like the commissar. Not to mention I have to buy theses two which may or may not be on a steed. They start at S4 A4, but can easily be upped to S5 A6 with 7 attacks on the charge. I figure seven strength five ap two attacks at ws seven should be able to deal with most characters. However the problem I am finding is what to put them with.

Before I continue I do have a question. Dropping a model by -5 I would bring their charataristic to at least 1 or 0. The reason I ask if it does one that means going at the same time, if 0 than that means you going first in cover. I'll look it up, but being lazy.

Ok here is my unit options:
A. A full squad of 20 daemonettes. The good news I do not have to buy any more models, but is it really worth giving 22 models a +3 invulnerable save. Out of my 3 options it is the cheapest in points and can take objectives. The amount of models in the squad helps with challenges and at base cost the squad is only 180 points which is a nice price. The ws 5 helps with putting more wounds than before on MEQs which means more rending than before. The problem I see is even with a 3+ save they can still get mowed down.

B. I can take 20 seekers which would hit me for 240 points and cost 60 points more than option A. Not much of a differanc besides 1 extra attack, extra movement, and the ability to outflank. They can possibly assault any model that is within 24" of the board sides. The problem with out flank is their is a 33% chance I come from the wrong side. However if used right I can avoid being shot up and assault rather quick. Also outflank wil change how my opponent plays by keeping his forces from the sides, a str 5 rending model can still glance armour 14. The drawback is I will have to buy 10 seeker models which I do not mind to much doing. While I am at it I may or may not buy the seeker chariots which I can use for extra seeker models.

C. The last option is fiends. I notice they are T4 and S4 and WS4 with 3 wounds. They are tougher than options A and B plus more wounds. The down side is they cost almost tripple than what seekers cost with the same amount of attacks. I look at it this way 3 seekers minus on point = 1 fiend, if you compare seekers have better ws and triple the attacks, while the fiends have a slightly better toughness. You are trading offense for slightly better toughness. They can move quick, but do not have out flank. Not to mention they can be instant killed. Also 18 seekers is easily equal to 6 Fiends. However you can take 9 fiends which is equal to 27 seekers, A and B caps at 20 wounds while C caps at 7 extra wounds. Oh did I. Mention 9 of these puppies hit 305 points. Anyway the only redeming feature I see is that they can lower models -5 I. If you get the slaanech power via herald than that's -10, which is overkill. That being said I will have to buy 9 fiends and last I look they are rather expensive.

You can see my bias in this, but I would like to hear differant opinions to help me decide. A can move 15", while b and c can move 21" across the board. I am leaning toward a and b, but would like to hear what others think.

2. To buy a Bloodthirster. Well I am using a prince that I design weapons and all to look like a Thirster. Now I have a problem. If I use a Thirster as a HQ and I want to take a prince it needs to be a Khorne prince. My princes is 1 of each god already and painted that way. My slaanesh is painted blue like a blue horror, so he can be Tzeentch or Slaneesh. Originally I was going to go LoC until I notice the Thrirster's bs 10, which through rewards can be a good anti air platform with ranged attacks. LoC has nothing to deal with flyers unless you lucky enough to get a reward that does so at least th Thirster starts of with a strength 6 ap 2 range weapon.

A. I am strongly looking at a Thirster which means if I want a prince I have to go out and buy another prince, or should I just use my Thirster prince and use my other prince as a khorne prince. I play tournaments every now and than, so I would like to hear what I should do. I rather not re paint a model.

3. Buy more SoulGrinders. I already have a nurgle grinder which kinda is cool since I didn't go generic. Anyway I may or may not use a prince. I am also waiting for the burning chariot faq to come out, so I can actually use it. Right now I am looking at prince, grinder, and another prince. I am thinking chariot( flame or the khorne one), grinder, prince. I am also thinking 2 grinders, chariot or prince.

4. I know I will be getting more horrors. I know about the Fnp issue, but with a herald I am firing 8d6 strength 6 shots. All I can say is two rounds of that on average wipes out a marine squad so fnp that.

5. I will call this the void. I do not own plague bearers, but with shrounding they are at least a +3 save. I won't add a herald which would be nice. Their mission is to ds on objectives. Also I make get more slaanech and or khorne, but want more input before I do.

Arguleon-veq

Id go for daemonettes with the first option. Sure Seekers are better but they arent scoring and its handy when your scoring can do some serious work on their own.

Use your prince as a thirster and dont use any heavy support princes. Go for two grinders and a chariot [either] for HS. Dont worry about what colour your models are, that has nothing to do with the options they have, so long as the prince/soul grinder is clear on your list as to what mark it has, thats what mark it has and nobody can complain even at tournaments, its not like weapon options not been modelled on which people can pull you up on.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

I played my first daemon game at 1850. Here is my list.

Bloodthirster: exhaulted, greater
Herald of Slaanech: master 2, exhaulted
Herald of Slaanech: greater, lesser, mount, challenge loci
Herald of Tzeentch: master 3
20 horrors, instrument
20 daemonetts, instrument, icon, aluress, 2 lesser
14 letters, upgrade, 2 lesser, instrument
10 seekers, icon
Korne prince 2 greater, lesser, winged, armour
Grinder torrent, nurgle

I went up against

Straken, nogg, fleet
Powerfist 4 flame
Powerfist 4 flame
30 guardman
30 guardman
3 lascannon
3 auto cannon
3 plasma vets
3 flame vets
3 melta vets
3 leman russ battle tanks
3 flame vets

I was surprised he put a large piece of terrain in the middle of the board and I was able to clain 3 of the 4 objectives on the other side of the wall. It was funny, because he thought I needed to go to him while I told him in reality I can just sit where I am nd yu will have to come to me. After the second turn of me sitting wher I was he realised I wasn't moving and he needed to uproot me.

I did option A and it was really out there. I lucked up and got puppet master which I had his blob squads turn around and fire into his own men. My 20 man squad wiped out 80+ guardsmen. Heck that one squad was fighting his whole army with my seekers. My poor seekers died, but my daemonettes was awesome. I poped my standard in the first 30 mn squad and lost 0 daemonettes thanks to that hitting on 5s, wounding on 4s, and me making a 3+ invulnerable saves.

I would like to mention warp test went my way. My instruments negated all the bad effects. Also I was able to wipe out both heavy weapons teams and killed 4 guardman from anothe r squad. I did roll snake eyes which caused me to take two wonds on my prince.

I did way better than I expected. 3+ invul save went a long way with 3 battle cannons and a ton of guardsman firing into that squad. I made a mistake and forgot to put my two heralds in the back is the only reason why the squad died.

The 7 attack strength 5 herald did really well. The guard player put his command squad with his platoon. I showed him later why he couldn't do that, but being able to kill that powerfist was nice. I wish he took a commissar so I could just kill him.

My horrors when they showed up did pretty impresive amount of shooting. 8d6 shooting atacks was helpful, but I do feel it's a bit random. I was gonna run two 20 man squads, but thinking one may be good enough.

I also want to mention pregame was rather long due to all the weapons and powers I had to roll for. If you plan to just use the weapon you might as well just do that instead of wasing time. However my feel no pan thirster was rather nice with 11 attacks on the charge.

I will say the bloodthirster is a good buy. The +3 invulnerable saving daemonettes was really, really, really good.

I am looking at buying more Daemonettes. Not sure on seekers. Today I bought 2khorne cannons. The lack of grenades makes the cannon needed. I may buy another grinder or just stick with 2 cannons.

BigToof

Glad to see that people are writing about Daemons.
I had a few mates try out Daemons against my Space Wolf/IG list and it did uh...  well...
I was at least glad it wasn't Screamer/Flamer spam.

I somewhat detest the Warp Storm table in that it's just so easy to lose to random rolls.

Losing your Warlord to a bad roll is just... irksome.

Daemonettes on Seekers or otherwise are just bad news.

BTW, what are people saying about the nonsense with Fiends?

Can they really keep you from attacking first turn?  (i.e. you get knocked to I0, so can't attack??)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Chicop76

Quote from: BigToof on March 10, 2013, 06:01:33 AM
Glad to see that people are writing about Daemons.
I had a few mates try out Daemons against my Space Wolf/IG list and it did uh...  well...
I was at least glad it wasn't Screamer/Flamer spam.

I somewhat detest the Warp Storm table in that it's just so easy to lose to random rolls.

Losing your Warlord to a bad roll is just... irksome.

Daemonettes on Seekers or otherwise are just bad news.

BTW, what are people saying about the nonsense with Fiends?

Can they really keep you from attacking first turn?  (i.e. you get knocked to I0, so can't attack??)

Best,
-BT

Fiends and a psychic power can lower I by -5. It's possibile to get -10 I. It's debated rather you are I 0 or I 1.