News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

[IG] Heavy Weapons Teams - Upgrades and Use?

Started by Narric, August 01, 2012, 10:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

This is a two parter.

Part 1
Do heavy Weapons Teams follow similar rules to Space Marine Attack bikes?

They are modelled as being two guardsmen on a single base, same as ABs are two Space Marines on a single AB. They are equipped with both the Standard gear of the Infantry Squad/Veteran Squad, along with the Heavy Weapon.

So can one model fire the Heavy Weapon, whilst the "Spotter" fires their Lasgun, or do they both need to man the same weapon (fire either the Heavy, or their lasguns)?

Part 2 - Veteran Squad specific
A Heavy Weapon team for a Vet squad still has the same standard wargear of the unit (Lasgun, Flak, Grenades, ETC). An option for Veterans is to swap their Lasguns for Shotguns.

Do I swap the Veterans for the Heavy Weapon team first, meaning the HWT can't have Shotguns, or do the Vets get their Shotguns before being given a Heavy Weapon, meaning they do have shotguns?

Does that make sense at all?

Sorck

Not sure if 6th will have changed this but...

1) They are not two IG on a single base. They are rather a single two wounded IG. Therefore the base can only fire a single weapon.

2) I don't have the codex in front of me but I assume it'd be an upgrade for specific types of guardsmen. Therefore you probably can't give shotguns to the sergeant or HW team.

Narric

Quote from: Sorck the Spork on August 01, 2012, 01:28:31 PM

1) They are not two IG on a single base. They are rather a single two wounded IG. Therefore the base can only fire a single weapon.
Alright then, I'll go by that.

Quote from: Sorck the Spork on August 01, 2012, 01:28:31 PM2) I don't have the codex in front of me but I assume it'd be an upgrade for specific types of guardsmen. Therefore you probably can't give shotguns to the sergeant or HW team.
To quote the upgrade line:
QuoteAny Veteran may replace his Lasgun with a Shotgun [free]

Another thing for thatis at no point does the codex state that the Vet Weapons Team be treated as Artillery.

Cammerz

2) I don't have the codex in front of me but I assume it'd be an upgrade for specific types of guardsmen. Therefore you probably can't give shotguns to the sergeant or HW team.

For question 2, a Veteran Sergeant can purchase a shotgun (for free) but the wording for the HWT states that two Veterans are replaced with a Veteran Heavy Weapons Team so you cannot give them shotguns or anything else which says that Veterans can be given X.

EDIT: The HWTs are not Artillery, if you look in the back of the rulebook you will see that they are just Infantry

Narric

Quote from: Cammerz on August 01, 2012, 01:43:17 PM

For question 2, a Veteran Sergeant can purchase a shotgun (for free) but the wording for the HWT states that two Veterans are replaced with a Veteran Heavy Weapons Team so you cannot give them shotguns or anything else which says that Veterans can be given X.

EDIT: The HWTs are not Artillery, if you look in the back of the rulebook you will see that they are just Infantry
I agree, if you look at my post again, you'll see I said "at no point."

Thanks for the help guys. I guess my model will be a little bit illegal :P

Cammerz

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on August 01, 2012, 01:53:27 PM

It won't matter, I can't really see any time where you'll be firing the reserve weapon and not the main one.

Sorck

Quote from: Cammerz on August 01, 2012, 02:20:05 PM
Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on August 01, 2012, 01:53:27 PM

It won't matter, I can't really see any time where you'll be firing the reserve weapon and not the main one.
Although not a common thing it could happen.

It would be better to fire a shotgun rather than a lasgun against a grot would it not? Especially if you were running away from said grotz... :P
However, as you can't get a shotgun, it's only useful when you need to move and shoot.

InsaneTD

And they could snapfire the lasgun now anyway.