News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tau[IG] 1.5K List.

Started by InsaneTD, August 02, 2012, 03:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsaneTD

So I'm planing to get back into 40K and since the new allies rules, I want to do a Tau and Gue'vesa army using Elysian Droop Troop models as IG. I want to add a cheap IG HQ, Veterans and a Hydra (preferably, 2) and maybe a Vendetta to help theme it too the Elysian models more. The Hydra(s) will be converted Elysian buggies from forge world (Which I need the bits to do that, will be making a trading thread later for that).

So I'm changing around my old Tau army list so I can add the IG. I want to keep the list as Mechanized as possible. Now bear in mind, I don't actually have an IG Codex yet so I am asking for help building the army list and setting up the units.

Here is the Tau list I use;

HQ
Shas'O Plasma/Missile/Shield/HW Multi Traker.

ELITE
2 XV8s, Plasma/fusion/Multi and Missile/Fusion/Multi.

XV8 Flamer/burst/multi

TROOPS
2 X 12 Fire Warriors/Team Leader in Warfish (SMS/Multi/Target Array/Target Lock/Disruption Pod) Obviously the Dis pod and TL are going away, thinking Fletchette in their place.

Kroot, I can't remember the exact number but it was large, had a Shaper and Kroot hounds.

FAST ATTACK
Can't remember if I had any in here, don't think I did.

HEAVY SUPPORT
2 X Hammerheads with Railguns, 2 burst Multi Trackers, Target Locks and Disruption Pod. I'll be swapping Targetlock/DisPod for Fletchettes here too.

From memory, that's it. Might have been an extra suit or drones in FA but I can't remember now. Long time since I used this list.

I will be creating a Project Log when I start building this army. I'll be buying some new models, mostly suits and repainting what I can. I did like my old colour scheme but I like the one I use on my O'Shovah army better and will be painting all the models like that so they match him too. :)

Narric

I've heard a couple units of Broadsides is better.

From what I understand, the pros:
- 2+ Armour Save
- Ability to take Shield Drones, confering a 4+ Invulnerable Save
- Can be combined with a SAP'O to become mobile
- Cheaper in Pts then a Railhead

The cons
- Need to be in cover to get a cover save
- Higher costs in

InsaneTD

Just could never seem to find the points for pathfinders, and normally fount them to be a waste of points in my experience. At some point, I just stopped bothering to try to find the points for them. I'll give them another go in this edition.

As for the Burst/Flamer suit, I've been on the recieving end of that and it hurts. I normally try to have two in a list since I started using O'Shovah. Was trying to build a full three man squad. I have always found I lack the anti-horde in my lists and that suit helped a lot. You'd think a rail/burst head and some warfish would be good anti-horde but I still always find myself lacking it.

Flyers are the reason I want a Hydra and the IG added to the army. So I really want help fitting them into the army before I start fine tuning.

Why I have Hammerheads instead of broadsides is that I just seem to do better with a Mech list. I always use cover as much as possible so hopefully I shouldn't suffer too much with the changes to vehicles. If I do then I won't end up playing many games at all.

Narric

From the Game I used Pathfinders in, their use is best helped with some Cover. I should have deployed my Pathfinders within some area terrain with my Kroot.

You don't even need to take a big unit. I use the minimum of normal PFs, +1 to carry a Rail Rifle to pot shot things.

If you want some Anti-horde, try the AFP. No doupt your opponent shuffles his units around the board in large clumps, so its garuranteed to hit something, and should it caused enough wounds, it'll scare the units into running away. As you're thinking of keeping the Railhead, remember its Sub round. Might help with the anti-horde.

Another unit you can add with the IG is the Hellhound unit. Great for Anti-horde, and anti-cover.

I didn't realize you intended for a Mech list. My lists usually end up between Mech/Foot-slog/Hybrid, so maybe thats why I get a slightly different experience with Tau compared to most others.

Out of curiosity.

Is that a new army from scratch, or a repurpose and fiddle around with an old army?

InsaneTD

Bit of both. I need to purchase another buggy from forge world to build a secondHydra and a HQ for the Elysians and I'm also not above buying more tau models if I find a suggested combo effective.

To be honest, I'm not excites about the idea of trying to strip plastic models so I may just end up buying a whole new army.

I may add a hellhound conversion later though it does mean an extra model from FW. It's easier to order from forge world here but it's still bloody exspensive. :P

Carrelio

Stripping is the easiest thing in the world.  Just buy a large bottle of simple green.  Put your models in a bucket and fill the bucket.  Leave it for a couple weeks.  Scrub off any excess paint (though most typically just falls off if you soak them long enough).  Done.