News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Allies: A quick poll/commentary

Started by BigToof, August 03, 2012, 02:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How are Allies?

Love 'em
8 (33.3%)
Hate 'em
4 (16.7%)
Meh/ I play Nids
2 (8.3%)
Haven't tried them, can't comment
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Will's on Fire

I like the addition, and think it can be used to create really cool games. However, I do think that maybe allies are created for a more casual setting, where both players are playing for fun, either wanting to use models from both their armies, or wanted to create something they've read in the fluff.

In a competitive setting, I like the idea less, the people who used to take orks and blood angel allies for a kustom forcefield in two land raiders for 1500pts was bad enough, I don't want to see how these people murder the allies system. I've already heard about an epidemius dick move of allying with orks, taking grots, using aura of decay a couple of times as psychic power that doesn't target, but hurts enemy models (which the grots count as, as allies of convenience) within a range, to get up the tally to max in a single turn. This sort of thing is what annoys me.

- Will

Matt1785

In fun games I have been extremely satisfied, even though I have not been winning.  I am still getting used to playing with Tau and vanilla Space Marines.  My Grey Knight army will always stay a pure force because they would never fight with anyone in my mind.. without killing them afterwords anyway.

I have some Blood Angels, Necrons, Orks... all very little amounts, but I do like the idea of Free-boota orks joining another army, just not sure which army would make the most sense to join them to... not sure what would be fluffy to add free bootas too, although probably just orks...

Chicop76

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on August 08, 2012, 10:57:22 AM
I like the addition, and think it can be used to create really cool games. However, I do think that maybe allies are created for a more casual setting, where both players are playing for fun, either wanting to use models from both their armies, or wanted to create something they've read in the fluff.

In a competitive setting, I like the idea less, the people who used to take orks and blood angel allies for a kustom forcefield in two land raiders for 1500pts was bad enough, I don't want to see how these people murder the allies system. I've already heard about an epidemius stick move of allying with orks, taking grots, using aura of decay a couple of times as psychic power that doesn't target, but hurts enemy models (which the grots count as, as allies of convenience) within a range, to get up the tally to max in a single turn. This sort of thing is what annoys me.

- Will

I wouldn't really worry about that. Nurgle Daemons is really not that scarry. If that was combinded with nurgle marines than I would bit a bit worried. If you losing points to buff your army it works for me. Once you kill the Tallyman the buffs go along with him. So please kill your allies while I take out the tally man.

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Chicop76 on August 09, 2012, 02:57:58 AM

I wouldn't really worry about that. Nurgle Daemons is really not that scarry. If that was combinded with nurgle marines than I would bit a bit worried. If you losing points to buff your army it works for me. Once you kill the Tallyman the buffs go along with him. So please kill your allies while I take out the tally man.

It'll cost 155pts to get those 30 grots and an Ork HQ. The other 1845pts can be spent on entirely nurgle daemons.

Also consider, that the tallyman with have a 3+ FnP save against everything but Str10 in addition to his Inv. He's going to be a tough nut to crack after that. Along with any other Nurgle daemons that turned up with him.

- Will

Chicop76

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on August 09, 2012, 10:04:44 AM
Quote from: Chicop76 on August 09, 2012, 02:57:58 AM

It'll cost 155pts to get those 30 grots and an Ork HQ. The other 1845pts can be spent on entirely nurgle daemons.

Also consider, that the tallyman with have a 3+ FnP save against everything but Str10 in addition to his Inv. He's going to be a tough nut to crack after that. Along with any other Nurgle daemons that turned up with him.

- Will

The tallies do not start till he hits the board for starters. Also Nurgle lack range and mobility. The only thing scary is the nurgle prince, and Ku'gath really. All you have to do is focus fire the tallyman and no more +3 feel no pain. I have yet to see the tallyman list to work the way people want too. Adding allies to kill off for the tally only helps a little bit. Nurgle marine added would be scarry, but pure nurgle daemons is not that scarry.