News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Fhanados' Word Bearers Log

Started by Fhanados, October 23, 2012, 05:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhanados

A long long long time ago I started a Word Bearers log. Then I did nothing, despite Chaos Space Marines being my most active army. Well the new Codex has sparked my interest anew, and so I have completed the first of what will hopefully be many of my Word Bearers. So without further ado, I present to you the first four totally completed  and based models in the history of me gaming EVER!

Word Bearers Berzerkers!

Sorry if the formatting is off, I'm at work and everything looks out of whack.

EDIT: Put images in spoilers

Fhanados

Second Entry:
Got 4 boltgun Chaos Marines, 3 Meltas, a Power Fist Champ and Undivided Icon carrier (probably never going to be fielded, but I wanted to have a pretty icon!) and 2 bolt pistol/CCW marines. Enjoy!

Chaos Space Marines

I apologise for photo quality, these were all taken on my somewhat horrible phone and the glossy finish likes to reflect flash.

EDIT: Put images in spoilers

Thantos

Nice chaos marines! ;D I have a soft spot for WBs after playing the old GW pc game Chaos Gate :P
Could use a coat of matt varnish i think. I use W+N acrlyic matt varnish, its paint on so no chance to ruin your minis like some sprays, although some people have good sprays they use - iver never found a flawless one.

Fhanados

Thanks for the praise! I'm not the best painter so I cheated a bit using the Basecoat>Detail>Drybrush>Quickshade method. Looking at these photos I can see where I need to improve, so hopefully my next batch will be even better!

I actually quite like the shininess of them. It makes them feel finished (despite not having done the bases yet).

My original CSM army was Night Lords, but being painted about 10 years ago they look somewhat poor in comparison to... well anything really. Up close you can tell which ones have been repainted pretty obviously.

I originally started Word Bearers with the intention of team gaming with my friend who played Daemons, but since he stopped playing I've been soloing it with a largely infantry based army, which suffered pretty bad losses in 5th.

I'm really looking forwards to exploring the options the new codex has, particularly Cultists and Dark Apostles and perhaps even Possessed now that they're not as aweful as before.

Anyway stay tuned over the weekend for more updates!

Tempest Six Two

Lovin the shineyness, I actually painted up a bunch of Black Templars years ago and hit them with the gloss varnish- it made ther black of thier armour look very new, like they'd been prepared in readiness for a parade or special occasion.

Although in your case I think it conveys a sense of slimey evilness!!
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

loeldrad

Good job! I like those shoulder pads! I agree with Tempest, the shine does add a slimey evil feel. It goes well with the mutations.

Just for a possible area to improve, to me there almost seems to be a little too much wash or varnish involved that it makes it hard to see the edge highlights you did. If you did the edge highlights before you hit the model with wash maybe try to instead wash it before applying the highlights. Also if you haven't done this try watering down the wash a little on your next go and see if you like that result better. Worst case scenario is you prefer using pure wash and you'll just hit it with pure wash again after they dry from the watered down coat.

Is there any way to see a big group shot of the bunch?  ;D

Fhanados

Thanks for the comments!

I'm still perfecting the amount of Quickshade I need to use. Some of my models have blobby areas from where it pools and drips. It makes for a nice slime covered effect but it's not something I want on all my models.

There's not much edge highlighting on any of the models. A few have some drybrushed orange on their face and hands to make the features stand out a bit, but other than that I've been pretty lazy.

My next batch has a bit more effort put into it and should be up either tonight (Aussie time) or tomorrow afternoon depending on how ruined my back is.

I have a tourney on Saturday so group shots will be then!

loeldrad

Awesome I look forward to some more pictures and good luck at your tournament!

Fhanados

Well this was a weekend of disappointment. I didn't shake the quickshade enough so there was no pigment in it when I washed my models. I did it at midnight the night before my tournament and didn't notice, so now I have a bunch of shiny basecoats that paint won't stick to.

I also didn't paint nearly enough to get my army past the minimum 20% painted point, so I had to take Necron allies.

I then proceeded to come dead last in the tourney, spectacularly losing to all three opponents, one of which was the organiser/store owner. I did have a lot of fun in my first and last game, and the organiser was very helpful and offered lots of advice during our game (despite him still steamrolling me). But I digress, I'll be making a new post about my tourney experience later.

Project wise - I don't know how to recover these. I really don't want to strip them and start anew, and I don't even know if that's going to be possible without ruining the plastic models. Paint doesn't stick well to the gloss coat, and the thickness of it has smoothed out a lot of the detail anyway. I'll try to recover from this catastrophe today after work and then I'll post the results.

Fhanados

Double post and threadromancy!

So over the past 2 months I've slowly been fixing up my failures. Another coat of properly shaken Quickshade had about the same effect as I expected - It didn't adhere too well to the minis and I got a few blobs/drops that I didn't notice until too late.

I think they still turned out OK though, especially now they're based. The Berzerkers look much nicer I think, which sucks because now they're elites I won't be using them :(.

Pics will follow once I get my hands on a camera.

I bought some more marines and an Aegis Defense Line and now have a new batch of painting goals.

• Sorcerer
  • 5x Terminators with Lightning Claws
  • 2x Terminators with Chainfists
  • 2x Terminators with CombiMelta and Axes
  • 1x Terminator with Heavy Flamer and Maul
  • Dark Vengeance Chosen
  • Dark Vengeance Cultists
  • 4x CSM with Autocannons
  • Aegis Defense Line with Quadgun (also needs Chaosifying)

Fhanados

Update!

I have now assembled the following:

• Terminator unit #1 - The Claws: 4x Chaos Terminators w/ Lightning Claws, Terminator Champion w/ Combi Flamer and Chainfist
  • Terminator unit #2 - The Axes: 2x Chaos Terminators w/ Power Axe and Combi Melta, 1x Chaos Terminator w/ Combi Bolter and Power Axe, 1x Chaos Terminator w/ Heavy Flamer and Power Axe, Terminator Champion w/ Combi Flamer and Chainfist
  • Dark Apostle (Dark Vengeance Chosen Champ w/ power Maul)
  • Sorcerer with Plasma Pistol & Force Sword (Dark Vengeance Chaos Lord)
  • 2x Havoc Champions w/ boltguns (Dark Vengeance Chosen w/ boltguns)
  • Aspiring Champion w/ Power Axe
  • Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist
  • Aspiring Champion w/ Lightning Claws
  • Hellbrute w/ Multi Melta & fist
  • Aegis Defense Line barricades, quadgun WIP

I'm snooping around my locals to see if anyone is planning on getting the fancy Deathwing terminators, I want some hooded heads for my Champs. Might actually get some myself to expand on my Fallen contingent, but really I have more terminators stockpiled than anyone in their right mind would field!
I'm still lacking in a reliable camera (my phone camera is stuffed) but I'll get some pics up whenever I can.

Narric

Show more Pictures D:

Your models look good. Very shiny. Have you had chance to play a few games? I find it helps get a better feel of the army, becuase then you can make adjustments for later on.

Tempest Six Two

Sorry to hear your Tourney experience wasnt the best- dont be too worried, 6th edition is still fairly new, and with a new army these things are bound to happen.

Re: nothing sticking to your minis- if all else fails, simple green concentrate will strip em back to the plastic without hurting the minis- a week submerged and the paint will basically fall off . I know you wont want to (seeing how much painting you've done!) but at least you know you wont have to buy new models!
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

Fhanados

Thanks for the kind words guys!

The CSM squads weren't a total failure, they still look tabletop quality which is all I'm really aiming for. Just a bit disappointed with how they turned out in comparison to my Berserkers.

As for the tourney, I really only had 1 bad game. Even though I got thoroughly thrashed I still had fun. Before we went in to it me and my IG friend decided on having non-optimal lists to throw people off a bit. If I wanted to be more competitive I would have run my Necron warrior horde and nightscythes.

I've pretty much finished the quadgun now, and I've got to say that it is one of the worst kits I've ever worked with for mould lines! It took me well over an hour of trying to neaten it up and in the end I got the shits and just glued the damn thing together!

I have 4 days to assemble the remainder of my 2000pt army, which will be 4 havocs w/ AC, 2 havocs w/ Lascannon, 1 havoc w/ Missile Launcher, forge/maulerfiend (haven't decided on what I want it to do yet) and my Abaddon conversion.

I'm really excited for the escalation campaign this weekend! If anyone will be participating in the Cando Incident in Sydney GW on Saturday, keep a look out for me and say hi!

Hoping I can get some pics with my video camera and then I'll post em.

LinnScarlett

Hm, I think the shiny quite works for the Word Bearers! I've been tacking on some of the shiny for one of my Inquisitors and 'his' Grey Knights, amid a bunch of grubby dull Imperial Guard, and it works miracles in underlining their self-inflated egos, hehe.

On the Word Bearers it somehow looks evil, and a bit slimey. I rather like it!
I am sorry to hear your tournee went south though :(
Have a hug *hug*
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17