News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tourney CSM list - need advice

Started by Fhanados, November 12, 2012, 11:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhanados

So after an interesting entry to the local tourney scene (I came dead last :() I have identified the weaknesses in my army list and now am trying to create a more viable list. This is not WAAC by any means, I just don't have the models to build the perfect army or the finances to buy a tonne of Nurgle Bikers, Obliterators, Spawn etc. Using models I MOSTLY own I have made something that seems more workable than my old list and fills in the mobility and firepower I found myself lacking. I have a few points left and want to know what you guys think about filling them.

I'm typing this from memory so forgive me if the points are out a bit.

HQ
Sorcerer (Biomancy)
+2 Mastery
+Sigil of Corruption

Apostle
+Sigil of Corruption

TROOPS
Chaos Marines (4 + ch)
+5 Marines
+Power weapon on champ
+2 Melta
+Rhino

Chaos Marines (4 + ch)
+5 Marines
+Power weapon on champ
+2 Melta
+Rhino

Cultists (9 + ch)
+13 Cultists
+9 Autogun

+1 Flamer
+1 Heavy Stubber
+Shotgun on Champ

HEAVY SUPPORT
Havocs (5 + ch)
+5 Havocs
+4 Autocannons

Obliterator (1)
+1 Obliterator
+Mark of Nurgle
+Veterans of the Long War

FORTIFICATIONS
Aegis Defense Line
+Quad Gun

So that's it so far. I need to get my hands on a Defense Line and some Autocannon Havocs but other than that I have all these models. I have 175pts to play with and am thinking of throwing in some Terminators or Obliterators. I might drop the Sorc since I have nowhere to put him, but I love the idea of a Lv3 Biomancer. If I had a Forgefiend I'd have that in, but again... money :(

Arguleon-veq

I'd make the cultist squad as big as possible and put both characters in there. With your last few points either get a cheap dread (can pick up marine dreads to convert for buttons on ebay) or upgrade those normal marines.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

The Man They Call Jayne

Personally I LOVE Obliterators. 2 of them with Mark of Nurgle. Or Tzeentch and they become very survivable. And they can reliable take on any target.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

I'm not really a fan of Obliterators as Nick is, but I think they could really help your list. You are definitely lacking in anti-tank from outside 12", and while Rhinos should just about get you there, they aren't quite as survivable as they used to be.

Failing that, a Dreadnought with an anti-tank weapon would be a decent choice. Unfortunately I don't own the Chaos codex so I don't know what options are available to a Dread, or for how much.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

Well an Oblit includes a Lascannon, Multimelta and TL Meltagun. And they have the advantage of being immune to things llike stunned and shaken that would stop a Dread from firing. And they have a variety of other weapons for when the vehicles are gone.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Arguleon-veq

You can prob afford a lone lone nurgle oblit after you get more cultists, which should be easy to convert from a termie if you don't have one. More versatile than a dread and its not a big issue that it gives away first blood easily as your rhinos do that anyway.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Fhanados

Thanks for the advice guys!

Sadly, these are all the cultists I have, so the squad is stuck at that size for the time being. I'm thinking of dropping the sorcerer, adding some Oblits and depending on how many points I have left I'll drop in a stock Hellbrute with multimelta. I love Oblits and have had some very good games with them, so I think they'll definitely be included.

EDIT: I've added 2 Nurgle Oblits and a few extra cultists. I decided to keep the Sorcerer because I've been dying to use one since starting CSM but they've always seemed so over costed and unviable until now. Apostle stays to keep the Cultists in line. If I find it doesn't work out too well I'll drop one of the characters and add a Vindicator or Hellbrute.