News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

2nd Auric Battalion vs. CSM in "Duumrider Returns!" (1500, 11/14)

Started by BigToof, November 14, 2012, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

2nd Auric Battalion vs. CSM in "Duumrider Returns!" (1500, 11/14)

Hi All,
I... just don't know what to make of this rep.
Some reps are born, some made and some... just... happen.
This is one such rep.

After staggering home from a post-game drinking party with my mates, I woke up the next morning to peer over my notes.
Instead of careful, clear notations telling about who moved what, where, and probably why were pictures of genetalia, hastily scrabbled notes and various profanity.

Most of it was in my handwriting.

Morning tea helped.  I glanced over the pages again and again and my memory slowly congealed together:  I had, for some reason, decided to play the 2nd Auric Battalion and O'Keefe with the Sisters of Battle as allies.  For some reason (no doubt lost by my drunken hazes), I had decided to play against... a rather unique CSM list.

An all Slaanesh list lead by...  Doomrider.

Someone actually had a model made up like the old CSM great one.
If you DON'T know who he is, google Doomrider now.

I'll wait.

Right, now that you're done either gagging or throwing up "the horns," back to business.
Which is disclosing this rep to you.  It was a real slobberknocker of an event and many, many strange and unusual turns.  Most of which happened on the tabletop, but a lot of it between the two players as we watched this cataclysmic insanity unfold in front of us.

Enjoy!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  As always C&C is greatly appreciated!

------------
The Lists
------------

The Imperial Alliance, "Girls and Guns" 1500pts: 73 Infantry, 1 Vehicle, 1 Fort; 11-13 VPs
The 2nd Auric Battalion
-Lord Commissar Seamus O'Keefe w/PF, Carapace Armor, Meltabomb
-Primaris Psyker Manfred Hellsreich
-Bone'Ead Brunhilde w/Ogryn Squad Doomkopf (Ogrynx5)
-Lt. Duncan Windsor-Smith w/Flamersx4
-Infantry Squad w/Lascannon
-The Blackhearts w/Overseer Donovan Glasgow (Vets w/Plasmagunsx3, Carapace)
-Lemun Russ Exterminator
-Aegis Defense Line w/Quadgun
The Order of the Holy Rose
-Cannoness Esmerelda w/Rosarius, Chainsword, Bolter
-Battle Sistersx10 w/Meltagun, Multi-Melta, Vet Sister Angelica
-Seraphimx5 w/Hand Flamersx2, Vet Sister Elizabeth w/Eviscerator
-Retributorsx5 w/Heavy Boltersx4, Vet Sister Safira

Duumrider and the Shockettes! (1500pts): 66 Infantry, 1 Vehicle; 9 VPs
Duumrider (Chaos Lord w/Bike, Power Sword, Icon, MoS, Combi-Plasma, Vet)
Chaos Sorcerer w/ MoS, Icon, Mastery Level 2, Brand of Skalanthrax
Noise Marinesx12 w/Sonic Blasters, Doom Siren, Blastmaster
Noise Marinesx12 w/Sonic Blasters, Doom Siren, Blastmaster
The Shockettes (Cultistsx30 w/Autoguns, MoS, Flamersx3)
Chaos Bikersx6 w/Plasmagunsx2, MoS, Icon of Excess, PAxe Champ
Helldragon (AKA Trogdar) w/Baleflamer
Obliteratorsx2
Obliteratorsx2

------------------------------
Chapter Two: Sticky Situations
------------------------------

Chaos Sorcerer Malafens paused in front of the opulent pink and purple door that barred the way to the main pleasure pit.  He checked his protective sigils again and readied his staff.  You never could tell nowadays.

He opened the door and was hit with an almost palpable stench of various narcotics, sweat, body fluids and less pleasant odors.  Walking past a few piles of rampant cultist orgies, he found the target of his search.

Pushing aside a fleshy carpet of discarded, overstimulated female cultists, he tapped on the armored shoulder of the massive figure at the center of the room.

It turned, cackling madly through its horned mask (which was on fire) and then glared at the Sorcerer.

"What?  We're only half-way through, Malafens!"

The Sorcerer paused, "Lord Doomrider..."

"No, no, Duumrider."

"That is what..."

The Lord took a few steps forwards, throwing off the cultists hanging from his every limb.
"No, no, it's with u's.  Otherwise you know... continuity upheaval."

Malafens blinked a few times.  "Duumrider" had taken a large amount of psychoactive hallucinogens (even by Emperor's Children standards) a few centuries ago, and had claimed to everyone that he had some kind of ascended awareness.  Which, of course, he forced on everyone under his command.  It didn't bother Malafens most days.  In fact, it made the Lord that much easier to steer.

"Yes, of course, u's.  We have arrived in the target system.  Surprisingly, we have encountered only a token resistance.  The attention of the Orks is apparently elsewhere."

Duumrider nodded, clapping his hands together almost spasmodically, "Goodgoodgood.  ...Why did I want this planet again?"

Malafens sighed, "I believe that you said you were amazed as to how 'green' the planet was, and you wanted to concentrate it and 'put it up your nose.'"

The Lord nodded, "Yeah, yeah, that's right.  Haha, it might even give me some of my special rules back."

"Your... what?"

"Hahahaha, never mind Mal.  Forgot you don't have my meta-awareness.  Don't worry, we'll be fine.  We got a Helldrake with us, so we're OTT as it is."

The Sorcerer sighed.  It was going to be one of those days.
"Yes, my Lord.  So, we shall decend with all of our forces and..."

"No, no, no.  That's not... epic enough.  Sixty-six."

"Sixty six... what?"

"Sixty-six of our most rockin', screamin', craziest mofos against... everything down there."

Malafens raised an eyebrow, unseen under his helm, "I take it... you wish to lead the charge?"

Duumrider nodded, bobbing his flaming head wildly to a beat only he heard while snorting a line of something rather unpleasant looking off the belly of an unconscious cultist, "Of course, Mal baby, of course!  Can't have a party without the star in front!  Get some of the Shockettes together, Noise Marines, whatever you can find.  We're gonna be big divas tonight!"
-----------------

Cannoness Esmerelda of the Holy Rose looked up from her tome.  Newly appointed as leader of this division, she had made it her duty to record with as much detail every event that occurred.  It was just that it was becoming more difficult as interruptions kept walking in her front door.  Such as now.

"What is it, Ellie?"

Sister Elizabeth, Veteran of the Seraphim, chuckled a bit, leaning on her Eviscerator.  She took a moment to blow the strand of long, blonde hair out of her eyes.  She hadn't had any luck sneaking up on the newly made Cannoness, but that didn't stop her from trying.

"Why the sad tone, Esme?  We're impressing the socks off the Guardsmen out there.  It's like they haven't seen Sisters drill before."

Esmerelda sighed, "It's quite possible that they never have.  I... Wait, you're letting the rank and file watch the girls?"

Ellie shrugged, "Not as if we have a lot of room, Esme.  The girls aren't complaining."

The Cannoness closed her eyes and pinched the top of her nose, "Ellie, we're TRYING to prevent fraternization between the Guardsmen and the girls.  Do I have to spell things out for you?"

The taller sister shrugged, "It's not like they're naked or anything, Esme.  And if the spectators make our Sisters work a bit harder, then, it doesn't hurt, right?  We even let the Ogryn girl give things a try.  She actually did better than some of the initiates.  But, that's besides the point.  Lord Commissar O'Keefe showed up."

Esme felt an unconscious blush come to her cheeks and frowned as Ellie laughed at her.
"It's nothing, Ellie.  I'm just a bit hot down here."

Ellie raised an eyebrow, "Oh, I'm sure we all get a bit 'hot down here' when he walks by.  You calling dibs or is it a free-for-all?"

The Cannoness glared at her, "Sister Elizabeth, I am not going to allow..."

"Right, right, Cannoness.  Loud and clear.  But if you don't do something soon then..."

Both sisters paused as the walls seemed to tremble a bit.  Shouts from outside started to filter in.  Shouts that didn't sound good.

"Ellie, I think greater matters have just fallen into our laps once again.  Let us just hope that it is nothing that we cannot deal with."

--------------------

Setup: Hammer and Anvil (Night Fight ON)
Mission: Relic
Warlord: O'Keefe: Counter-Attack in own DZ; Duumrider: Preferred Enemy... (oh noes) Space Marines (whew)
Psyker: PPsyker: Endurance (yay), Warp Speed (Meh); Sorcerer: WS/BS debuff and sonic power buff (joy), Endurance (Oh... damn...)
-----------------------
IG goes first

To be continued!

Preview of the Madness:
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Rej

I'm really excited for this one! I'm a big fan on Duumrider and Mal already, Duumrider reminds me of deadpool for obvious reasons, which I do enjoy.

I'm really looking forward to the rest! It's great when you have interesting opponents!
Phew...

Cammerz

Duumrider is certainly an fun idea for a character. And the whole Slaaneshi list looks quite good, I'd like to see just how powerful sonic weapons actually are.
And as for that Heldrake, at least you've got a Quad-gun in this list.

Its also interesting to see the allied force taking up more of the fluff than the main block (although I think you might also do this with the SWs and Lady J, am I right on that one?)

Looking forward to this one, should be fun.

The Man They Call Jayne

Sonic Weapons turned up to 11? Oh dear, this cannot be a good thing.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

BigToof

Thank you all for the very kind comments!

Quote from: Rej on November 15, 2012, 12:46:42 AM
I'm really excited for this one! I'm a big fan on Duumrider and Mal already, Duumrider reminds me of deadpool for obvious reasons, which I do enjoy.

I'm really looking forward to the rest! It's great when you have interesting opponents!

Hi Rej,
Thanks for the reply, I'm glad Mal and Duumrider are getting fans already.  And the fact that DR reminds you of 'Pool kind of brightens my heart a bit.  I'm a 'Pool fan too, and I wasn't going for that initially, but you know he's gonna be a bit more outlandish now :)
Let me know how the rest of the rep suits you!

Quote from: Cammerz on November 15, 2012, 10:42:15 AM
Duumrider is certainly an fun idea for a character. And the whole Slaaneshi list looks quite good, I'd like to see just how powerful sonic weapons actually are.
And as for that Heldrake, at least you've got a Quad-gun in this list.

Its also interesting to see the allied force taking up more of the fluff than the main block (although I think you might also do this with the SWs and Lady J, am I right on that one?)

Looking forward to this one, should be fun.

Hi Cammerz!
Thanks for the comment.  I really appreciate the feedback.
As for the fluff, I'm glad that you like DR and Mal.  If they get more fans, hopefully I can bring them back more and more, as I really did like this match.  My opponent used to be a big Slaanesh army guy, so he has lots of models and he's a blast to play with.  Not the most competitive of chaps, but that's alright with me.
I just have to keep them from overdosing the fluff is all!
Hope you like the Sisters fluff as well.  O'Keefe is a bit overwhelming so I'm trying to keep him in the background.  That is, unless more of the Commissar is needed :)

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on November 15, 2012, 01:41:04 PM
Sonic Weapons turned up to 11? Oh dear, this cannot be a good thing.

Hi Jayne,
No, Sonic Weapons are NOT  a good thing.  I feel a bit of it in the early rounds, but the later rounds... (shudder)
Let me know if things played out the way you thought they would.

Best,
-BT

-----------------
Hi All,
Apologies about the length of the next post.  Things just kind of... got away from me.
Let me know if you like it.  :)

Best,
-BT
----------------------
--------------
Interlude I
--------------
It bothered Sorcerer Malefans to no end that many considered him a less than ardent follower of Slaanesh.  He watched his "Lord" Duumrider drive his flaming motorcycle in circles, cackling madly while his pack of barely dressed and horridly made-up harlots chanted what passed for heartfelt devotions.  Some of the "Shockettes" sneered at him and muttered half-made insults under their breath, questioning whether or not he deserved to be amongst them.

But Malefans knew better.  While Duumrider and his ilk wore their stereotypic antics proudly, he knew what Slaanesh really was.  The great Chaos god was not just about drugs, sex and mania.  Slaanesh was about the release of inhibitions.

Long ago, the man who would become Malefans knew that he was different.  As a child, he was blessed with perfect pitch, and he watched the power of oratory and music.  Words and lyrics could change the minds of men, bending them to the makers of the speeches and songs.  Over time, he became focused on this connection between the ear and the mind. 

And one night, it came to him in a dream: The Perfect Chord.  A chord so powerful, that it needed neither word nor intent, but it would fulfill the dreams and wishes of all who heard it.  Days turned to years as he searched for the chord until one day he found it. 

But there was a problem.  It could not be manifested by normal, material means.  Only the power of the Warp could contain it, could magnify it, could so show its perfect spirit.  But that was a problem for a lesser psyker.  Drawing on more and more of the Warp, he was able to fashion the Chord into a part of his mind, ready for release at a moment's notice.

And when he unleashed the Chord upon his first audience, they trembled and let off something between a scream and a laugh that grew until they exploded, their earthy forms unable to contain the power of the Chord. 

It was perfect.

Then came word from his "higher-ups."  He was to stop using the chord and return for judgement.  Even now, he remembered how hard he laughed at them.  As if anyone could judge him now.  He was the keeper of the Chord, the giver of blessed divinity.  Dubbing himself Malefans, he opened himself to the Warp so he could better spread his gift.  His perfection.  Many came to listen, and those that survived became his ardent followers. 

Noise Marines.  Such a simple name.  For those of the Emperor's Children that listened had understood the magnitude of his finding.  And pledged themselves to help spread it.

And Malefans knew that this was his destiny.  To give the entire universe a perfect moment filled with divine sensation.  And if he had to deal with a thousand Duumriders it would be worth it.  Although, some appreciation and respect would be nice...

-----------------

Setup:
Well, as many of you have noticed, there is a slight problem with bringing a Defense Line.
That is, when the Terrain Fairy decides to screw you over in what you get on your side of the board, you really REALLY feel it.

As in this game.  My two back sections both rolled a single piece of terrain.  Which I know would be my ADL.  The middle sections did alright, with a larger piece of terrain to the left, and the Chaos back-board had plenty of things to hide in.

Not that the mass of sonic weaponry really cared about cover, but I digress...

I won the roll to go first and had to really think about if I wanted it.
The relic was in the center with a very large kill zone around it.  If I went second, I could blow off whatever token resistance was there.  Granted, that is assuming that anything was left by turn five.  Which, if I give my opponent an extra turn of shooting there might not be.

So I deploy first, putting my blob with Cannoness down behind the ADL, with Esme manning the Quadgun.  Squad Doomkopf and the Psyker and O'Keefe go down to the left.  I put the Vets out near the front on the left to try and ward off any flankers and do the same with the Battle Sisters to the right.  I drop the Retributors slightly to the right, out of cover of the ADL, but really, with 3+ power armor, they don't really need it.
The Russ went in the back center of my field, and Duncan's PCS went behind that.  Ellie and her Seraphim go in reserve.

All setup, I passed things to Chaos, who then went to town.  Duumrider and the Bikers and a pack of Noise Marines went to the left flank, threatening the Vets, and another pack of Noise Marines went to the right opposite the Sisters.  Mals and the Cultist blob went smack in the center, ignoring pretty much all of the cover.  A bit... odd there, but I let it go.  Oblits and the Dragon (shake fist) went into reserve.

And Chaos thankfully fails to seize and the game is on!

Picture Caption: That's... a lot of Cultist.

------------------
Pre-Game Thoughts:
Well, the gameplan is pretty simple, pick a flank, roll it up and keep people out of the center.  Sounds fair enough.  The Noise Marines don't look all that threatening, as their range will drop to 12" if they move.  The Blastmaster will be a threat, but they'll only get a model or two, which isn't enough even for a morale check.  The Bikers can be kept back by the Vets and the girls can harass the Cultists and Noise Marines on the right flank.  Sounds pretty simple.  I might not even need the Ogryn.
------------------

Turn 1: IG
--------------
Primaris Psyker Hellsreich sighed to himself, leaning against part of the ungainy, ramshackle wall the Ogryn had put together.  The enemy was clearly not subtle at all.  He glanced further down the field at the screaming festival that had gone non-stop for hours. 
Although it was still too dark to really make anything out, the stench of Chaos was nearly overwhelming.  Perhaps he should have cared more, but the entire escapade seemed rather silly. 

The Soriatus had made some sort of shrine in the middle of their camp to some saint or another, and were now eager to defend it to their last breath.  Hellsreich sighed.  He never understood their enthrallment with the dead.  And if it was so important, why not keep it locked up or buried?  But, no, he had found that amongst the many, many confusing and nonsensical aspects of the universe, women had to be near the top.
--------------
I look out and decide that the right flank without the Bikers and Lord is probably the weaker flank.  I move the Battle Sisters forwards and get ready to start firing.  I fire the Russ first, and my opponent reminds me of the Night Fight rules.

Oh, yes.  Those.  So, instead of a few good downed Noise Marines, I get nada.

However, it lets me throw up a searchlight.  (I knew I kept the Russ around for a reason!)
The Battle Sisters, Retributors and well... EVERYONE fires into the Noise Marines on the right.  When all is said and done, about half the squad is on the ground, including the Champion and the Blastmaster (thank goodness for Quadgun precision shots!).  Sadly enough, they are fearless, so no chance of them running.

Picture Caption: Uh... there's... sort of less guys now.

Turn 1: Chaos
--------------
Malafens was about to order the general advance, when he heard a whispered hissing sound to his right.  He tried to ignore it, but it continued to grow more exaggerated and he could almost feel the fiery spittle rolling off his armor.

"Yes, yes, very well," intoned the Sorcerer, gesturing to the Cultists behind him.
The Cultist Champion, a ragged looking female with far too much makeup, strode forward and cleared her throat.  She leaned forward suggestively and said in a rather grating voice,

"Ladies and Gentlemeen!  Introducing the Man of the Hour, the Big Bad, the One, the ONLY...  DUUMRIDER!"

The Noise Marines stopped advancing to play a harsh rock ballad that Malefans remembered as his Lord's "Intro Music."

The wailing continued on as a firey motorcycle revved it's engines and flew through the air, landing with a skid in the ground next to the Cultist.

Duumrider threw up his hands and the Shockettes behind him went wild, throwing out cheers and undergarments.

"Duumrider in da house!" screamed the Chaos Lord.  "Murder orgies for everyone!"

Malefans waited for the screaming to subside.

"Permission to order the general advance, Lord Duumrider?"

Duumrider looked at his Sorcerer and whispered, "Of course, Mal, baby, we're about used up for this turn of fluff anyway, gotta go back to our positions before people realize we're not where we were deployed."

Malefans simply nodded and gestured to the Noise Marines.  It would be all worth it, he told himself.  Everything was worth it for the cause.
---------------
Malefans casts Endurance on the Noise Marines to the left.

Rather... odd choice at that, I'm not firing at them right now...

Duumrider and friends zoom out down the left flank.  Thankfully, they have to stop a few inches away from the Vets, so hopefully that'll keep them busy for a turn.  The Noise Marines all move up, and the Cultists run forwards.

I'm about to pick up the dice, when my opponent says that he's firing on the Vets.
I smile and tell him the Salvo rules, but he interrupts as he says that the Noise Marines have Relentless.  Which means they fire as if they didn't move.  Oh.  Dear.
30-odd shots and a blastmaster later, I'm picking my jaw and the remains of my Vets off the board.

Picture Caption: First blood to Chaos?  Ow, that... hurt.

Turn 2: IG
------------
Cannoness Esmerelda winced at the wailing screeches from the strange Marines.  The sounds seemed to have a weight to them, and she heard the Guardsmen on the left flank scream. 
She felt the blood drain from her face as she watched them liquify, the sound itself flaying the armor and flesh from their bones.

Swallowing, she said a prayer to the Emperor and glanced over at Lord Commissar O'Keefe.

The older man snorted, itching at his ear.

"Damn kids, always playing that racket.  Hilda!  Those bikers on the left have gotten too close.  Forwards and Fire!"

Esmerelda frowned, "Commissar O'Keefe, those armored bikes will tear you to ribbons, stay back behind the..."

But she was ovverrided when the enormous Bone'Ead stood up.  Hilda inhaled and let off a rather spectacular spittle-filled howitzer of a bellow,

"GET UP AND GET SHOOTIN'!"

The Ogryn around her chuckled maliciously and the enormous abhumans jogged forward, readying their crudely effective Ripper Guns.

Esme just shook her head.  Was the man mad or just fearless?
------------
Right, so my left flank just got liquified AND I'm down a VP.  Not good.

And I don't get Ellie this turn for burny goodness.  So... no salvation there.

Hellsreich throws Endurance on the Ogryn.  In for a penny, in for a pound.  Of Flesh.

So, I move O'Keefe and the Ogryn up.  Those bikers are within 18" and I feel ready for a fight.  The Sisters on the right continue to move forward.

Shooty from the Ogryn is just fairly amazing as my opponent didn't know the Ripper Guns were S5.  Hilda and O'Keefe both get Precision shots and down the Standard, meaning that there's no more FNP for anybody!  I then throw Lascannons and Quadguns into the bikers and at the end of the day, there's only Duumrider and a few bikes left.

On the right flank, the Battle Sisters continue to do well, chewing up more of the Noise Marines.  The Rets and Russ combine their firepower and take out a good chunk of the Cultists.

I try to assault with O'Keefe, but sadly do not get much going.  I do fish out the Combi-Plasma from Duumrider, so that's something at least...

Picture Caption: Still not doing great, but things are getting better...

Turn 2: Chaos
-------------
Duumrider cackled madly as he raced in, still rattling off his own monologue.

"You see here, guys, Mal was wrong!  The Bolter Beeyaches are on the other side!  As if it matters y'know.  Oh, look, uglies ahead!  Like my last convention y'know.  I get stuck next to this Plague Lord who just keeps goin' on and on about how great Papa Nurgle is, and squeezin' these fat pustules on his noggin'.  Tacky, y'know?  Guys?  Guys?"

But, the rest of his squad had been taken down by the Guardsmen during his speech.

Duumrider looked up to the sky.

"Hey, narrator guy?  I don't get cut down like a fool, y'know, it's in my contract.  I get an epic fight this time.  Y'know.  Get me a girl!  Somethin' with big boobies."

Fine.  Fine.  Ahem. 

And then he looked forward and saw the pony-tailed form of Ogryn Hilda walk forward, howling with fury.

"..." said Duumrider clearly not pleased, "You blow, you know that?"

As Duumrider was bemoaning his surely deserved fate, Ogryn Hilda struck down, smashing him in the...

"Initiative SIX, Baby, get it right!"

Ahem, fine, Duumrider struck forth with his Power Sword, slicing into the Ogryn, who howled with surprise.

"Right in da Boobies!"

Yes.  And then railed in surprise and the wounds seemed to heal of their own accord.

"...  You suck, you know that?"

Hilda gasped, clutching her armor to chest, "FRESH!"  She swung her Ripper Gun in a wide arc, smashing the Chaos Lord upside the head.

"Fine, fine," Duumrider muttered, shaking the bone fragments out of his mouth, "Next turn, Ogryn sheesh-ka-bob!"
-----------------
And he gets Trogdar AND both squads of Oblits in.  The Helldrake flies out to BBQ my Battle Sisters on the right.  The Oblits scatter a bit and kind of land in the midfield to the right as well.

The Sorcerer casts Endurance on the Noise Marines.

The Bikers move up to get stuck in.  The Noise Marines falter a bit in their difficult terrain check, so don't move up as much (thankfully still out of 24" of my big blob).  They decide to run instead, getting closer to the blob (eek!).  The Cultists all clamor around the relic.

Shooting is painful as the Dragon burns about half of the girls away, but the Noise Marines thankfully don't do too much on the right.  The Oblits try to blow away the Russ, but only chip off a Hull Point.  The other Oblit Squad also tries to drop Plasma Cannons on the Rets, but they fly off, downing a Ret and hitting a Guardsmen or two to no real effect.

Duumrider charges in.  I overwatch, but he LoS's it into his Biker.  He raises an eyebrow when I tell him about counter-attack, but still goes in.

The Chaos Lord then challenges and I accept with Hilda!  He swings first, wounds once, but I FNP it!  He's a bit stunned, but even more surprised when the big Ogryn slaps him in the face for a wound!  The rest of the Bikers also have trouble with the T5 big'uns, and O'Keefe and the rest slaughter them wholesale.

Picture Caption: Go Hilda!  Slap the flame off his face!

---------------
To Be Continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Looking good so far BT,

Just one issue; I've got the Chaos codex in front of me and I see nothing that gives the Noise Marines relentless.
-The Fearless rule doesn't do it,
-The Mark of Slaanesh just gives them the +1I,
-They don't have Terminator armour,
-The Champion of Chaos rule on the Noise Champion doesn't grant it either.

Am I missing something? Maybe an addition to the FAQ which arrived since I last looked?

Of course if they somehow do get relentless, I want to know how because that'd make a great new army (squads of 20, fully sonicked-up).

The fluff is still great, good to read more about Mals' background and Duumrider's combat scene is certainly interesting to read.

Looking forward to seeing how this ends up.

Tom

Quote from: Cammerz on November 16, 2012, 04:47:51 PM
Just one issue; I've got the Chaos codex in front of me and I see nothing that gives the Noise Marines relentless.
I'm pretty sure it's because they're on bikes. So not all noise marines get relentless (which would be nuts) just those on bikes. They also get hammer of wrath and jink. Relentless never helps me with Eldar because all the weapons bikes can take are assault weapons! Except if you give an Autarch a bike and a reaper launcher but that seems rude.

I can imagine how annoying Trogdar must be... still no flyer experience personally but the ability for a flyer to zoom in to practically be in range of anywhere on the board with no risk (like you get with deep strike) seems damn annoying. Makes me think I need to convert up an Eldar equivalent of a defence line and quad gun.

I don't know if I want Duumrider to be pulped or not... I think he's getting to me and I do but at the same time that would be an anti-climax. I like the perfect chord fluff for Malefans very much. What's he after here then?!

Cammerz

Quote from: Tom on November 16, 2012, 10:30:44 PM
Quote from: Cammerz on November 16, 2012, 04:47:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's because they're on bikes. So not all noise marines get relentless (which would be nuts) just those on bikes.

Ah, so you think it isn't the Noise marines, its just the Slaaneshi bikers that BT is talking about?
Maybe, but BT mentions Salvo weapons, weapons only held by Noise Marines and not by the chaos bikers.

This is the passage which has me wondering...
QuoteI smile and tell him the Salvo rules, but he interrupts as he says that the Noise Marines have Relentless.  Which means they fire as if they didn't move.  Oh.  Dear.
30-odd shots and a blastmaster later, I'm picking my jaw and the remains of my Vets off the board.

Tom

Right... yeah you're right and you've really got me wondering now too. Just as far as I knew the only chaos things on the board that were relentless were the bikers and I assumed they had noise weapons because the rest of the army was so nicely themed. But thinking about it now, of course they can't have noise weapons just like they can't have inferno bolts.

So yeah, noise marines with sonic blasters only have a 12" range when they move... Unless they had endurance cast on them! Figured it out. Glad there weren't any shenanigans. That's a clever move then.

BigToof

Thank you both for the kind words, and spot on about that Endurance trick.
I didn't think about it when I deployed and goodness did it make the Noise Marines THAT much more deadly.
Now here's the rest of the rep!
Hope you all enjoy it!

Best,
-BT

---------------
Turn 3: IG
--------------
Veteran Sister Elizabeth let off a war cry that was echoed by her Seraphim sisters.  Leaping from the sky, she smiled a bit to look at the Cultists' confused looks before the gouts of fire ran over them.  Would they ever learn?

Ellie frowned, looking at the heretics swarming all over the Bell of St. Ophelia. 

Why would that want that of all possible things?  The huge bell was sort of dreary looking, and the tones just made her want to pass out from boredom half the time.  Not a weapon or something intresting like that. 

What did these madmen have planned?
---------------

Ellie arrives.  (Took yer time, didn't ya?)
She deep strikes behind the big mob of Cultists.

I then spend a point of Faith (I think I had two?) to make the Sisters that were falling back rally and I move them up so that they'll be just under the Helldrake but close enough to the Obliterators to burn them.

Obliterators go down to Lascannons and Melta/Multi-Melta.

Ellie then cooks up a LOT of cultists, knocking them to about 10 or so.  Rets and Russ try to do something about that Dragon, but only manage to knock off a hull point.

And Duumrider knocks a wound off of Hilda, but she gives one right back!

Picture Caption: Still grindin'...

Turn 3: CSM
-------------
"Master!" screamed the Cultist Champion, her overdone mascara running down her face, "They are burning us!  It is not a good pain!"

"Silence!" barked Malefans, still intently looking at the enormous, adamantium wrought bell.  The Bell of St. Ophelia was just as he had forseen.  The Sisters of Battle thought it to be some sort of artifact of faith, discovered long ago in a forgotten era of history.  The bell gave out clear tones that were supposed to induce a state of silent meditation.  But Malefans had other plans.

"Ring the bell," he ordered the Cultists next to him.

The girls exchanged looks, fear of the ever-growing blaze starting to rise in them.

"Ring it!" shouted Malefans, slamming his force staff against the ground.

The show of violence was enough to stir the Cultists to action.  It took a few of them to move the enormous clapper, but it slowly swung and then let off a deep tone that seemed to  spread out across the battlefield.

"Sing!" ordered Malefans.  The Cultists looked at each other in confusion, but then Malefans began to ripple with energy, the Warp itself growing manifest and spreading amongst the Cultists.  As if suddenly gripped by some greater power, the Cultists stopped trembling and sang in a single voice.
--------------

Far away on the other side of the battlefield, Cannoness Esmerelda heard the familiar tone of the Bell of St. Ophelia.  Who was ringing it? she thought.  The bell was only to be used during mid-day prayer and only at the most holy of days.  It riled her to think that the Heretics would dare...

And that was when she started to hear the voices.  A score of high-pitched female voices singing in a beautiful, elegant pitch that seemed almost inhuman.  She felt herself almost drawn to the music, and it took all of her willpower to pull herself back to matters at hand.  She glanced around at the Guardsmen around her and saw to her dismay the men starting to stand up, looking almost entranced.  Throwing off their helmets, they looked goggle-eyed, with a look of pleasant relaxation.

"Helmets!  Keep your helmets on!" barked Esmerelda.  But the men did not respond to her, only listing back and forth.  Swearing, she tightened her grip on her Rosarius and said a prayer to the Emperor.  Foul magicks were at play here.  She could only hope that she would survive it.
--------------

"Now!" ordered Malefans to the Noise Marines behind him.  The Champion of the Marines readied his Doom Siren and lead the group in a massive chorus.  Malefans felt the Perfect Chord build and build, swelling up and overtaking everything around it.  Though the Cultists around him were swept off their feet, Malefans kept his composure,  gazing out across the field and watched the fruits of his labor unfold.

The Guardsmen in front of him began to quake.  A few broke out of their initial somnolence, gasping in surprise.  Then they began to howl, letting off animistic yelps as the Chord tore into their minds and souls.  Some began to froth at the mouth, others were blasted off their feet.  Still the Chord went on, and the bodies of the men burst open like ripe fruit, blood erupting from eyes, ears and mouths as the power of the Chord overwhelmed them.

After what seemed like an eternity, the sound ended, leaving only destruction in its wake.

Malefans waited a moment and exhaled, allowing the Chord to slip back into his mind.

Perfection.  Simply perfection.
----------------

The Sorcerer pops the Slaaneshi power on the blob and Endurance on the Cultists.

Sadly enough, he ignores my proffered Seraphim bait, picking up the Relic and shuffling towards the nearest cover.  They don't get quite in, even with a run, although the Sorcerer and a few models do get their toes in.  The Noise Marines move towards my blob. 
The Helldrake vector strikes over the Sisters (who keep making their armor saves!) and gets ready to flame the Rets.

The Rets lose two as thankfully I make a 6++ save, but the big shock of the turn is the blob being COMPLETELY destroyed as the Noise Marines hit I think about 28 out of 30 shots and roll ALL WOUNDS (granted they only needed 2+, but still...) in addition to the Blastmaster.  I make a tonne of Look Out Sir rolls and somehow Esme survives, but is pretty badly wounded.  The rest of the turn passes kind of yawningly as Hilda and Duumrider still slap each other around.

Picture Caption: That... sucked.

Turn 4: IG
-----------
"Esme!" Ellie screamed, watching the Guardsmen fall like scythed wheat.  The Cultists she and her Seraphim were burning seemed to stop fighting.  They just looked back with blank stares and smiles.  As if they had already won or something.

Ellie ground her teeth. 

Not if she had anything to say about it.
------------
Ok, I HAVE to do something as he now has the relic, First Blood and is technically in my DZ for Linebreaker.  I'm getting destroyed here.

Time to hit back hard.

Ellie moves up behind the big Noise Marine squad that had all clustered up for firing positions.  I ignore the Drake, instead choosing to fire on the cultists.  Most couldn't make it into cover, and after the Sisters, Quadgun, Rets and Russ are done, they're all wiped out except for the Sorcerer who has somehow survived (mostly by being the furthest away model from all the mayhem).

The Seraphim burn a lot of the Noise Marines with a spectacular number of wounds (I think I had somewhere around a little less than two dozen wounds after re-rolls).  He rolls pretty well for saves though, so I don't wipe the squad.  The girls then assault in.  The Doom Siren fails to wound (!), and the rest of the shots are shrugged off.  Ellie saws apart the Champ and the rest of the Seraphim pare down the Noise Marines to a few  members.  On the other side of the board, Duumrider and Hilda are still pillow-fighting each other.

Picture Caption: Ellie.  Whoa.

Turn 4: CSM
-------------
For what seemed like the umpteenth time, Duumrider slashed at Bone'ead Hilda, drawing another small cut that seemed to heal itself.

"You didn't tell me fatgirl here had a frickin' healing factor!" Duumrider bellowed at nobody in particular.

"I meant you, Narrator boy!" the Chaos Lord said, once again trying to fight against what would be his fateful demise.

"Whoa, whoa.  I lose?  To Bridget McUgly here?  No.  No way."

She clearly has you outclassed.  Your only advantages, speed and armor, are countered by her durability.  In fact, you're on your last legs as it is.

Duumrider seemed to consider the possibility of losing.  He seemed deep in thought.  And that was when Hilda slammed him again in the face.  But then, Duumrider... spat a... wave of... multicolored... what is that?

"My blood, y'know.  Heh, pretty concentrated stuff.  Look, she's tripping out.  Aww... ugly girl fall down go boom."

That was just lucky.

"Details.  Details.  Now gimmegimmegimme.  Daddy wants a new set of 2+ saves!"

And thus did Duumrider look up to the sky as the Chaos Gods considered his sacrifice (as meager as it was).  And he felt a... third eye growing on his face.  Yes.  A perfectly good mutation to enhance his...

"A third eye?  Really?  REALLY?  That's it?  You know I've already got a twin-linked bolter?"

And as he was complaining about his perfectly good mutation for a lucky victory, he failed to see Lord Commissar O'Keefe coming up around behind him, smashing his face with his Power Fist.  Duumrider's eyes went wide as his jaw fractured, landing him in the dirt and thankfully unable to speak.

As he felt the Warp overtaking him and bringing back to the Immaterium, he had a moment to consider his situation.  Perhaps if he had been less manic.  Less disrespectful.  Things would have gone smoother.  This fluff would be easier to write.

Indeed, Duumrider seemed to take all of this into account and raised both hands to the sky and extended his...  Alright.  Now that is totally uncalled for.
-----------------

Malefans casts Endurance on himself.

The Helldrake goes to hover mode, turns around and blowtorches the rest of my scoring sisters.

The Sorcerer assaults in and downs a Seraphim, but not before the last Noise Marine is taken down.  The girls then salute the big, bad Sorcerer and hit and run out of there.
Duumrider finally downs Hilda as she wounds him again... and his damned Ichor Blood wounds her and takes off the last wound!  He gets as a reward... +1BS.  But it's not enough as then O'Keefe on I1 slams him in the face and he goes down.

Picture Caption: Hey now I have Slay the Warlord...  This just turned into a real match!

Turn 5: IG
------------
Right, finishing time.  Ellie and co. zoom back and flame the remaining Noise Marines while gaining Linebreaker.  The Ogryn death-star assaults into the Sorcerer.  I proffer up the Psyker who is pasted.  Malefans gains a 2+ armor save!  The rest of my army annihilates the hovering Drake.

Picture Caption: This continues to get ugly.

Turn 5: Chaos
------------
The last remains of the Noise Marines try to shoot Ellie, knowing that they don't have a prayer of getting the Ogryn death-star to move off the relic.  The girls shrug off the few saves they have to make. 

We're both ready for another tight turn, but unfortunately, the die comes up a 1...

And so it ends...

We tally up the VPs.

Nobody has the Relic.

Chaos has First Blood.

IG has Linebreaker and Slay the Warlord.

So...

Result: IG Victory!

--------------------
Post-Game Thoughts: I don't know about this one.  It was fun, with lots of shocking amounts of destruction on both sides.  I couldn't believe how much damage his Noise Marines did, and he was shocked at the onslaught brought on by the Seraphim. 

The slap fight between Hilda and Doomrider was hella funny. 

The Helldrake wasn't THAT bad this time around, but granted there was just one of them. 
So, a close match, with not much left on the table, but in the end, it was enough.  I would have loved one more round just to see how things end up, but sometimes it is not to be.
------------------

Malafens sighed, looking at the far-away Bell.  It was anointed with Sacred Oils.  Though bothersome to a Cultist, it would be anathema to a Warp enhanced entity such as himself. 

The Guard were clearly not leaving the planet, and, for the moment, his attack was blunted.  Another time perhaps.

"We will meet again," said the Sorcerer, slamming his staff into the ground, knocking aside the Ogryn trying to crush him into the ground.  Before the brutes could be on him again, Malfens flickered and vanished into the Warp.

Lord Commissar O'Keefe snarled, shaking his head in disgust.  "Cowards.  You can always count on Chaos showing their true colors in the end."

He glanced over back down the field and frowned.

"Someone get Hilda off the Russ before she breaks it.  I don't care if she thinks she's queen of the world, but there's no time for shenanigans now.  People to meet, heretics to kill, work to be done.  By the Throne I love this job."

-----------------

"Esme!  Esme!"

Esmerelda felt something shaking her as if from far away.  It seemed to take every bit of effort, but she opened her eyes.  She recognized the voice although the image was still blurred.

"E...  Ellie?"

"Thank the Throne you're alive.  Are you injured?  What...  What happened?"

Esmerelda tried to control her breathing but failed, letting out rather unladylike gasps of air.

"Ch...  Chaos.  Warn the sisters.  More coming.  This is just... the beginning..."
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Well I'm glad the relentless issue was worked out there.

The fluff was very good, I think I prefer Malefans to Duumrider so I'm glad he got a decent amount of fluff whilst Duum was busy duelling Hilda.
Those Noise Marines just seem amazing, something my wallet does not want to hear at the moment, student loans only go so far. Perhaps one day.

As for your army, I think the Defence Lines with Quad Guns are going to be alomst mandatory in almost all armies fairly soon, I saw loads of them in the tournament I took part in last weekend (I won't say much about it but there were 16 contestants, I brought 1750pts of Tau and after facing; Marines, Marines, Marines, Marines and Tau, I walked away with the wooden spoon).

Those Seraphim look like they butchered his army there (certainly the cultists, but I suppose that isn't too surprising given that some of them have two hand flamers). I'm sure they'll do very well against pretty much everything short of power armour (and even then they'll be alright).

So, a great battle with great fluff (the closest battles are almost always the most enjoyable I find).
Looking forward to whatever you've got next for us.

Job's a good un!

Rej

That was great! Really enjoyed Mal and love that he's got some form of plot brewing already!
And yeah, Noise Marines sound great!

I'd love to hear more reps about these guys!

Phew...

BigToof

Thank you all for the very fine comments!
Quote from: Cammerz on November 17, 2012, 04:49:15 PM
Well I'm glad the relentless issue was worked out there.

The fluff was very good, I think I prefer Malefans to Duumrider so I'm glad he got a decent amount of fluff whilst Duum was busy duelling Hilda.
Those Noise Marines just seem amazing, something my wallet does not want to hear at the moment, student loans only go so far. Perhaps one day.

As for your army, I think the Defence Lines with Quad Guns are going to be alomst mandatory in almost all armies fairly soon, I saw loads of them in the tournament I took part in last weekend (I won't say much about it but there were 16 contestants, I brought 1750pts of Tau and after facing; Marines, Marines, Marines, Marines and Tau, I walked away with the wooden spoon).

Those Seraphim look like they butchered his army there (certainly the cultists, but I suppose that isn't too surprising given that some of them have two hand flamers). I'm sure they'll do very well against pretty much everything short of power armour (and even then they'll be alright).

So, a great battle with great fluff (the closest battles are almost always the most enjoyable I find).
Looking forward to whatever you've got next for us.

Job's a good un!

Thanks for the kind words Cammerz,
I'm glad you liked the fluff and I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised that the more subdued Malefans has more fans than Duumrider! (or... so it seems...)

The Noise Marines did really shockingly well this game, and my friend said that he might just drop Duumrider (as awesome as he is) to get another Lvl 3 Sorcerer.  Endurance is just THAT big of a power to try and get.

The Seraphim did very well.  I'm just amazed by their damage performance and they have yet to really disappoint me.  Perhaps it's just the less mech heavy environment of 6th, but it's rather comforting to watch them just annihilate units.

As for next up... Well... options below :)

Quote from: Rej on November 18, 2012, 12:41:36 PM
That was great! Really enjoyed Mal and love that he's got some form of plot brewing already!
And yeah, Noise Marines sound great!

I'd love to hear more reps about these guys!

Hi Rej,
Glad you liked Mal!  I'm surprised (again) to see him getting so much fanmail.
I suppose Duumrider was overdone, or was Mal just that more awesome?
In any case, yes I think the Noise Marines will be back.
And I'm looking forward to the rematch!

-----------------------

As for what's coming up next...

A) Dark Footdar
It's a weird sort of combination, but I've got a mostly Dark Footdar list that is doing uh...
It's a struggle in some ways, but WOW do they have firepower.
I played a recent game against what I can only describe as a Nurgle "Rush" list, which was fun but not nail-bitingly close per se...

B) 1st Auric
I'm going to try and get in my new list which has, if you can believe it, the potential for even more boots on the field.  Still just one tank though.  And yes, fluff :)

C) Lady Jenna
I've got a Lady Jenna rep in which she does battle with the forces of... Tau.
Yes, I was surprised too.  Oh, and Chaos.
Cha-Tau?  Tau-Os?
In any case, it was something to see.

In any case, let me know!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Quote from: BigToof on November 19, 2012, 05:08:47 PM

As for what's coming up next...

A) Dark Footdar
It's a weird sort of combination, but I've got a mostly Dark Footdar list that is doing uh...
It's a struggle in some ways, but WOW do they have firepower.
I played a recent game against what I can only describe as a Nurgle "Rush" list, which was fun but not nail-bitingly close per se...

B) 1st Auric
I'm going to try and get in my new list which has, if you can believe it, the potential for even more boots on the field.  Still just one tank though.  And yes, fluff :)

C) Lady Jenna
I've got a Lady Jenna rep in which she does battle with the forces of... Tau.
Yes, I was surprised too.  Oh, and Chaos.
Cha-Tau?  Tau-Os?
In any case, it was something to see.

In any case, let me know!

For me its a close contest between option B and option C. And at the moment its a little too close to call, who would the Auric 1st be fighting? As a Tau player myself it would be interesting to see how they do against Lady Jenna, and I'm presuming the chaos allies are there so they can have a Heldrake?

In the event of a vote tie, I don't think any of us will really mind. We just want to see new battle reports.

Rej

It's not that Duumrider was over done, I was just really digging all the stuff for Mal, he's got great background and flavour, I guess its maybe because he's so fleshed out? And he has a plot! The Chorus! It'd just be really cool to see where that goes.

As for the next rep, oh boy. I like the sound of all 3! At the moment I'm leaning towards Lady Jenna though cause I haven't seen a report against Tau in at least a long time. Who will the Auric first be against?
Phew...