News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Lady Jenna vs. Chaos/Tau in "With Friends Like These..." (1500, 11/26)

Started by BigToof, November 26, 2012, 05:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Thank you all for the very fine comments!
I have to unfortunately post and run, but I will respond to you all!

Best,
-BT

--------------------
--------------------------

Setup: Thankfully, I seemed to appeased the terrain gods, so even though my ADL sucks up a lot of the possible cover, I still get two flanking pieces of area terrain.  CSM side seems pretty heavy in comparison, though, as the dice seem to want to find out how many patches of trees I can find!

I setup fairly normal, but wide, not wanting to give up any ground in this pretty nasty looking operation.  Blob with Harry and Jenna behind the ADL with Erik/Heartless manning the gun.  Boxy goes behind everything else with Jack doing his usual "hide the first blood" routine behind them.  The the flanks went a group of Grey Hunters each, with a screening group in front.  Long fangs to the right as I THINK that's where the Broadsides will probably go, as terrain is pretty crowded to the left.

The Nurgle Bikers with Sorcerer right in front in cover for the most part with Spawn behind them.  That's kind of surprising.  I thought they'd try to be more conservative, as I can bombard them with Autocannons and Missiles, but I guess we'll see what happens...  Rhinos go to the left and hide.  The Shas'El goes with the Fire Warriors and hide out of sight behind one of the Rhinos.  Broadsides go to the right in the patch of cover that I hoped they'd be deployed in.

And then...

Chaos/Tau (C'Tau?  Chau?  The Lesser Evil?) steal the initiative!  (insert massive facepalming here)

Picture Caption: And... here is where we all DIE.

---------
Interlude
---------

"Friend-Captain Jenna and Seneschal Jack!  It is good to see the two of you!"

The rather optimistic and slightly accented voice of Shas'El Por'El came through the vox with near crystal clarity.  Jack sighed as he watched his Captain smile.  Something still seemed wrong with the entire situation.  Por'El had said that his new "friends" wanted to meet their brethren, and the Space Wolves had complied by all coming to surface to "meet them."  Looking around at the massive, power-armor wearing marines bristling with weaponry, Jack hoped that he never had to go to any of their family gatherings.

Jenna, however, seemed to not visibily share any of his misgivings, although Jack was sure that as a Primaris Psyker, she could feel his concerns as clearly as if he had written them in large streamers and run around her barking like a dog.

Then, the Captain turned back and stifled a short laugh, making Jack flush as he remembered the other problem about thinking too much around a high-class psyker.  You had the near-assured chances of making a complete ass of yourself.

Turning back to her Vox, Jenna continued,
"Well met, Shas'El Por'El of the Sept Vior'la.  We are honoured to be met by as kind and generous a host as yourself."

Por'El chuckled a bit, and Jack tried not to let his eyes roll too far back into his skull.  That was the thing with Tau.  There was no way NOT to over-compliment them.

"My kindness and generosity are only matched by the loveliness and intelligence of my guests."

It was Jenna's turn to chuckle slightly at that, and it took all of Jack's mental effort not to think of the many ways Imperial munitions could make a crater of the Tau forces here.  He carefully inched away from the conversation for both their sakes, and took a deep intake of air.  As long as negotiations kept up then there wouldn't be any...

Jack paused.  He smelled something.  Something foul.  And nerve-wrackingly familiar.  Racing away from Jenna, he ran over to the top of the small hill next to him and whipped out his auspex.  The Marines in front of them checked out fine.  Nothing even seemed slightly out of place on the readings.  It was as if...

He blinked and then felt his eyes widen as his instincts took over.

Jack sprinted over and took a few moments to find the massive form of the Space Wolves' Rune Priest.  He ran over to "Mad" Harry and said,
"Something's wrong with the Marines out there."

Harry nodded, "Yes, lad, they're Dark Angels.  Nothing right with them."

Jack shook his head, "No, no, listen.  Can't you...  Can't you smell that?"

Harry frowned and shook his head for a moment.  He took a large breath of air in and paused.

"No lad, I don't smell anything.  Nothing... at... all..."

The Rune Priest blinked as the realization hit him as well.

"To arms!  Ready all weapons!"

The Space Wolves around him went to battle positions as Jack began to bark out orders as well.  He ran back to Jenna who was trying to apologize, and slammed the button on her vox.

"Captain!  Those aren't the right Marines!  They'll be on us in moments, we have to get you to safety!"

-----------------

Turn 1: C'Tau (Yeah, I'm keeping it for this game)
---------------
Sorcerer Basrael nodded in amusement as he watched the loyalists run around like frightened children.  Of course, that was the best response, given the situation.  He made a mental note to extend the mental illusions to all senses for the more mundane elements. 
Overwhelming the senses of the Guardsmen seemed like an unnecessary chore, but next time, he would expend the necessary bit of effort.

With a gesture, he dismissed his illusion and laughed as he watched the scurrying mortals in front of him clutch themselves with fear.

The Scions of Chaos were coming.  And nothing could stop them.
--------------
So... bad news as I watch the Sorcerer pop Invisibility on his bike squad.

Which means I have to chew through T6 models with a 2+ cover save.

Joy.

The bikes move up followed closely by the Spawn.
The Shas'El and Fire Warriors jump out to clear firing lanes.

Shooting starts off with my opponent asking me if my Lone Wolf really is one T4 model who can count as first blood (alright, maybe it wasn't asked SO blatantly, but...).  I admit that yes, if Erik/Heartless does get popped that's first blood.  I even do the kind thing of showing him the Lone Wolf page which says "ETERNAL WARRIOR" in big letters on it.  So, he fires at the Quadgun instead.  It takes a wound.  The Tau fire into one of the big squads, but I make my saves and not much happens.

Picture Caption: I... think I felt a breeze.

Turn 1: SW/IG
--------------
The man who was once Erik Redclaw watched his "specter" carefully.  It had been avoiding him, which was oddly comforting, yet eerie at the same time.  The thing had appeared months ago, taunting him that he was moments to falling to the Dark Gods and mercilessly goading him at every moment.

Then Captain Jenna had come and ordered the creature to leave him alone.  Which it... oddly had done.  Erik still saw it from the corner of his eye, and he was almost comforted to see it appear on the other side of his Quadgun, throwing him furtive, almost sheepish glances.  He tried to resist talking to it, but it looked just like his lost sister, and something in him couldn't stand to her even an image of her so distraught.

"Why are you still here?"

The creature looked up with a small smile and a tear in her eye,

"Oh, Erik.  You don't know?"

Erik frowned and said nothing.

The thing stood up and walked over towards him and sniffled before responding.

"If you really don't know, how in the world would I?"

Erik felt an eyebrow raise and then a large blast of energy rocked the Quadgun.

"Enemy fire!" he roared, firing at the far-away targets.

The thing would have to wait.  His brothers needed him.
----------------
Harry casts Prescience on the blob.
I move all of my Grey Hunters forward.

Shooting has two lascannons hit the Broadsides who decide to try and tough it out with the 5+ cover saves, but unfortunately both get wiped out (ouch).  The Invisible Bikes of Doom (IBD) are almost impenetrable, as my Lemun Russ and Long Fangs fire at them and do absolutely nothing.  I decide to then just run my right grey hunters forward and get ready for the assault phase.

I assault both other squads of Grey Hunters in and pop both banners.  They weather the few wounds of overwatch on the Wolf Guard leading them and nothing really happens.
The Sorcerer surprisingly challenges (I was expecting the champ), and one of the WolfGuard accepts.  The Mace bounces off my 2+ armor, and I even do a wound back!  I grind down the bikers to just two strong, but lose a few Grey Hunters in the process.  Sadly, they do not run.

Picture Caption: T6 is so, SO hard to deal with.

Turn 2: C'Tau
-------------
Wolf Guard Brassclaw swung around again, hitting nothing but air, while he was almost picked up off his feet by a solid smash to his chest.  The damned Sorcerer had made himself all but invisible.  It was like fighting ghosts.  Greymoon had already fallen to the dark magicks and the minions of Chaos were doing their all to rip them all to shreds. They needed help, and soon.

He fought against himself for few more swings before opening his communicator.

"This is Brassclaw.  I...  I might need a little help here."

Far away, Harry almost dropped his mug of fighting ale.  Brassclaw was asking for help?  He had seen the man swallow his own mustache rather than ask for help.  Things must really be bad.  He turned to look at Lady Jenna, who was in turn looking at her Seneschal.

"Jack..." began Lady Jenna.

Jack ground his teeth.

"Lady Jenna.  Captain.  Things aren't THAT bad.  We have... options..."

Jenna made a hurt look and Jack just nodded in admission.

"Fine, fine, yes.  I'll... get someone to ask Jax."
---------------
The Helldrake and Both Oblits come in.
One Oblit lands behind my right Grey Hunter Squad.  The other one kind of scatters widely to the left and almost off the board.  The Helldrake comes in to eye my soon-to-be-dead right Grey Hunter squad.  My Quadgun immobilizes the big abomination, but that's little help at this point.

The Sorcerer casts Invisibility.  On the SPAWN.  Oh this is going to suck.
He also pops enfeeble on the big Grey Hunter squad.  (Ah, no sorry, suckagex2!)

The Spawn move up.
BOTH squads of CSM dismount.

So this is what a shooting gallery looks like on the wrong side.

Everything lays into the right Grey Hunters, leaving them with two mates who wonder why in the world someone told them to go down dead-man's alley this time of night.
Thankfully they make a moral check.

In assault, the Spawn hit me HARD.  I have to fight them as S3 T3 WS1?

How is this fair?

Needless to say, the Spawn murder almost half the Grey Hunters, although we manage to tear one down.  The Sorcerer also destroys his Wolf Guard, getting the Chaos gift that regenerates his lost wound (joy).  Which is bad for the now T3 Grey Hunters as I start losing marines very, VERY quickly.  I hope against hope that my guys will get it through their heads that losing by almost half a dozen is a BAD sign, but they stubbornly both stay (sob).

Picture Caption: Spawn in the face!  Spawn in the face!

Turn 2: SW/IG
-------------
"You want me to say what?"

Jack Hawkins felt the hair on the back of his neck rise up.  It tended to do that when Jax was in a mood.

"Sorry sir," came the response over his vox.  The Guardsman clearly didn't want to deliver the message.

"Captain Jax, sir.  She uh...  She wants you to publicly apologize."

"For... what?"

"Uh... everything.  Sir.  Uh... sorry."

Jack rubbed his temples.  He looked at the battlefield reports.  Things were bad.  Very, very bad.  They needed Stormtrooper support, and Jax was the only thing resembling a commanding officer left on the ship.  But, he couldn't just let her win.  No, he thought, no, I can't do this to Jenna.  I promised that I...

He then heard a polite cough and turned around to see Captain Jenna Mordheim, leaning slightly against her force staff.

"Jack..."

"No, no, Captain, I promised and I'm..."

"No, Jack.  What I mean is that the good of the crew comes before your hastily made promise to me.  I... appreciate the gesture, but the good of many outweigh the good of the few."

Jenna bit her lip and turned away.  Jack looked down at his vox, anger clouding his vision.  He knew he had to do it, and he hated Jax for forcing him into this situation.  If only she wasn't so angry at him for...  for well... destroying her entire life.

Jack closed his eyes again and felt the anger fall away, being replaced very quickly with guilt.

He opened the vox comm again and said in a slow, careful voice,
"Take a notation, Guardsmen.  I'm not going to say it again, and she had better appreciate it..."

--------------------
Harry pops prescience on the blob.  Jenna hulks out with +2S/T JUST in case.

Jax comes in.  I hope she can live up to the situation, as things are very, VERY bad.

She lands in the far right corner, out of sight of most of the CSM.
The two lonely Grey Hunters move forwards.
I think about how far away everything is and I move the blob out.
Jack realizes that he's in some potential danger and runs around to the side of Boxy, using the tank as LoS blocking.

I have a hard time deciding what to shoot at with the Stormtroopers.  The CSM are so massive in number, I won't do much.  The Tau are kind of at a funny angle, so I'm not sure I'll do as much there.  But they are really, really bunched up close to one of the CSM rhinos...
Jax blows up the nearest Rhino and the shrapnel flies into the nearby Tau.  Two are lost and the Xenos run!  (whew! Glad they didn't invest in a Shas'O!)
The Long Fangs do a number on the right-most CSM, knocking down about half their number, but they hold.  Boxy answers my prayers as I knock the Baleflamer off the Helldrake.

I then assault the right Obliterator with the blob.
Mass-rerolling attacks just chew apart the crazed gun-maniac and we move forwards.
Which is sort of good as lose more and more Grey Hunters as the Black Mace continues its painful toll and the Spawn keep gribbling me up.  Still, my Grey Hunters still hold out...

Picture Caption: Jax deployed.  Let's hope she does more damage to them than us.

Turn 3: C'Tau
--------------
"Help is on the way, Brassclaw.  Think you can hold things out until then?"

Brassclaw snorted at the question.  He was Oleg Brassclaw, one of the eldest of the Wolf Guard.  Holding out was what he did.

"Mad Harry, you just keep coming up to us.  Brassclaw will still be here when you're done."
---------------
Trogdar flies by my Long Fangs and rakes them out of spite.  My 2+ Wolf Guard smirks.
The CSM decide to just ignore Jax and move forward towards the blob.
The lone Oblit moves closer to Boxy, firing a Lascannon that doesn't go through his side armor.

Shooting has about five or six Guardsmen bite it as the CSM are firing from pretty far away.

And assault has my Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard knocked down to just one Grey Hunter and one Wolf Guard who just refuse to leave combat!

Picture Caption: Uh.. don't mind us, Mr. Black Mace-Infantry Horde Killer, we're just passing through here...

Turn 3: SW/IG
--------------
Captain Alyssa Jax frowned as she watched the Tau retreat off the field.  Things were too easy.  The Xenos clearly weren't here for the fight.  Best to let them leave and get to the heart of the fight.  She peered over the rubble to make sure that the Chaos Marines were still ignoring them.

Typical.  Shooting at the noisier, flashier Marines while the Guard go in to make sure that things are done proper.

Drawing out her combat blades, she took a moment to look in Jack's direction.  He had actually bent a grudging knee to her demands.  If she was any less of a professional, she would casually withdraw from the field right now, leaving him and his new little floozy to get chopped up by the minions of Chaos.  But, she thought as fury started to grip her, she owed these gutless cowards for beating her brains against the wall for days on end while force-feeding her the entrails of her squadmates.  Yes, a little vengeance would go a long way...
-----------------

Yes, prescience goes off on the blob again.
Jax moves closer to the right-most CSM squad.  The last of the right Grey Hunters do as well.  The blob moves up.

I show the CSM what real shootin' is like and rip apart about half of the CSM squad with mighty twin-linked lasgun/lasfire shots.  (Alright, Boxy and the Quadgun helped too, but give me some dramatic license, will ya?)  They fall back.

Jax fires into the back of the CSM and clips out the Champ!  The Long Fangs add to the damage and it helps a lot as the Grey Hunters and Jax then assault.  Two CSM fall, but so do two Stormtroopers and they lock.

Somehow, somewhere, my Wolf Guard Terminator refuses to fall.  Balls out, big guy.

Picture Caption: Just... keep ignoring the blob... that's right...

Turn 4: C'Tau
-------------
Sorcerer Basrael sighed with satisfaction as the last Marine fell.  Things were just about... right.

He looked to the heavens and watched them part as eerie, purplish energy seemed to warp the sky above him.  The vision was true.  It was time.

Stopping his bike, he opened his arms to the forces of Chaos and felt his mortal form ripple and grow with power.

Lifted off the ground by the Dark Gods, he felt new and forbidden knowledge flood through his mind.

This was his moment.  This was the day that all his plans were coming to fruition.

It was the least he could do to make sure that everything else on the planet died in tribute.
---------------

The CSM rally behind their Rhino, nicely on the objective.
Trogdar leaves the board.

I thankfully block any Chaos psyker shenanigans.

Things go pretty much right to assault.
The Sorcerer takes apart the Terminator and gains...  DAEMONIC ASCENSION.

Uh.  Oh.

So, now there's a fully healthy ready-to-go Daemon Prince.  Huh.  Probably bad there.

In the rest of the assault phase, the Grey Hunters and well... pretty much Jax just clear out the last two CSM.

Oh, and that Obliterator just keeps creeping up, but his Lascannon still isn't doing the stuff against Boxy.

Picture Caption: Things just got... complicated.

Turn 4: SW/IG
-------------
Harry took another swig from his fighting mug as he looked up at the newly made Daemon.  This was getting interesting.  He glanced around at the other Guardsmen, most of which had a look of horror mixed in with pants-wetting terror.

Typical.

The Rune Priest coughed, "Lads, don't worry.  We marines see this all the time.  Just keep pushing and let the Long Fangs deal with it."

One of the Guardsmen sheepishly raised a hand, "Sir?  Sir?  What if they can't?"

Harry took another pull from his mug.  "That, lad... is a matter we'll deal, IF we have to deal with it.  Now move out!"
---------------

The blob pushes up.

I pop Prescience and Jenna hulks out to +3S/T!

Jax and the Grey Hunters move up and pepper the last CSMs a bit, knocking them down to about 4 or so.

The rest of my army fires at the Spawn as they were out in the open and tears them all apart.  I also tick a pair of wounds off the Daemon Prince, but he still has two left!

Picture Caption: Uh... he didn't... fall down...

Turn 5: C'Tau
------------
Harry watched the last of the Lascannon fire fly into the Daemon.  It was hurt, but still up.  The Guardsmen were looking antsy.  He was about to try and start his speech when the Daemon rose up and roared at the Guardsmen, batting them aside like toys.

"I AM BASRAEL, BRINGER OF DOOM AND DESPAIR.  I AM CHAOS MADE FLESH!  WHO AMONGST YOU DARES TO CHALLENGE ME?"

Harry worked the kinks loose from his arm.  This was a big one, he'd have to aim high.

"Alright, you..."

The Daemon chuckled, "YOU?  A PRIEST OF THE CORPSE GOD?  I WOULD THINK YOU WOULD BE SUCKLING AT THE TEATS OF YOUR PATHETIC CANINE COMPANIONS."

Harry frowned, and replied, "Yeah?  Uh... Uh... Your mother."

There was a slightly longer pause.

"THAT WAS RATHER UNIMPRESSIVE."

Harry shrugged, and was about to respond, when he heard clothing tear and looked over to see Jenna, now in her towering amazonian form, standing a full head above him.  Harry was taking in the sights when she spoke.

"I am Lady Jenna Mordheim, Captain of the Anne Bonney.  I challenge you, Basrael, Daemon Prince of Chaos, to mortal combat!"

The Daemon Prince chuckled, "YOU USE THE GIFTS OF THE WARP AGAINST ME?  HOW FOOLISH.  THEN SHOW ME WHAT YOU CAN DO MORTAL!"

The Daemon rose up, throwing aside Harry, and latched down on Jenna's shoulders.

Jenna pushed the Daemon away, swinging wildly with her Staff.

She winced as the creature's talons cut into her arm, and frowned as she heard the creature laugh at her pain.

"YOU ARE BUT A CHILD.  WHAT DO YOU THINK?  THAT YOU CAN DEFEAT THE FORCES OF DARKNESS ITSELF WITH... LOVE?"

Jenna shook herself a bit.  "Not just love, but friendship and the hearts of those that I have pledged to protect.  I look at you and I see someone who has put themselves above others.  But that is why today is the day you shall fall."

Bashrael laughed and roared in amusement, "OH YOU PATHETIC COW.  THEN SHOW ME THIS POWER.  LET US SEE WHAT YOU CAN DO!"

It raised up, roared... and that was when Harry ran up from behind and smashed the Daemon straight between its legs with his Force Staff.

The Daemon winced as it tried to recover, but Jenna was already coming down with her own weapon, crushing the Daemon's head to a pulp.

It flickered into a foul smelling flame and vanished.

Jenna panted a bit and looked a bit confused at Harry.

"Sorry lass, but he was gettin' a little long-winded there.  Now let's go off and get the mission done, eh?"

--------------------

The CSM fire back, not doing too much, but then letting their Rhino block LoS.
The Prince then assaults the blob, but gets a wound to the face for his trouble.
Then he challenges!

And I... I have to think.

Who do I send up?

If I lose Harry, I lose ATSNKF, Ld10, and well... any hope of pulling the mission out.

A lone Sarge won't do anything.

The only one who has a chance is... yeah, sorry Jenna.

So I push Jenna up.

At least she has a mess of re-rolls.

And she needs them as the Prince lays into her.

She survives purely off of the crowd watching her and then I manage to land a pair of wounds.  And the Prince only saves one!

Oh yeah... that wandering Oblit finally gets a shot off at Jack's squad, but the Plasma
cannon shot goes wide.  Yeah... sad Oblit... sad.

Picture Caption: Did the Power of Friendship just kill a Daemon Prince?

Turn 5: SW/IG
---------------
I push forward, shooting at the few CSM left, but do not too much.

Erik walks over and kills the last Oblit who probably falls on the Chainfist out of shame.

And the game ends!

Result: SW/IG Victory!

---------------

Post-Game Thoughts: Well that was really exciting.
A good game that really made me rethink things.  It really highlighted that I am very, very limited in terms of mobility and getting linebreaker or even getting to far away objectives is going to be hard with my current list.  I think I may need Wolf Scouts or... something.  I don't know.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

But back to the game analysis...

First off, introducing Jax to the mix really, finally made me realize what to do with the Stormtroopers.  Which is be a surgical weapon while the Grey Hunters go in and make trouble.

I am NEVER leaving Jack in the DZ without Boxy again, as that big tank basically saved him from obliteration by uh... Obliterators.

But boy did the Grey Marines really need help this time around.  That invisibility combination with Enfeeblement really did a number on my Marines.  CSM is NOT a lightweight Codex, let me tell you that.

Trogdar didn't do as much this game, but it was annoying that I had to deal with it.
The Oblits weren't particularly scary, but the ascension to DP was!
But... in a way that was actually sort of good as any Space Wolf knows how to deal with DPs!  (insert obligatory Missile Launcher joke here).

The Tau were surprisingly inconsequential, but I guess that's what you get for just throwing Broadsides to the wind (as if I do anything different, but... that's another story...)

Overall special mention has to go to Jenna for her epic slaying of the Daemon Prince.  I guess even mostly pacifistic Rogue Traders can have their moments...

---------------------

Jack ran into the medic's tent.  He had heard that Jenna was injured and he was sure as anything that he wasn't going to let anything stand in his way.  A few Guardsmen tried to stop him with half-said warnings, but he opened the flap anyway.

And paused when he saw the half-dressed forms of Jax and Jenna being treated by a few of the female medics.  Jenna blushed and grabbed the remains of her uniform, while Jax sighed and shook her head.

"What's the matter, Jack?  Wanted another look at them before they got too wrinkled?"

Jack turned around and said, "I... I... Listen... you ladies can get dressed.  Sorry.  Just wanted to make sure that you'll be... ok."

Jenna smiled and said, "Yes, Jack.  Thank you, I'll be fine."

Jack heard Jax's snort from across the tent.
"She'll be fine.  She only killed a Daemon with her bare hands.  I was only coming to congratulate her on a decent day's work.  After all, if I can't respect someone, there's no point in working under her."

Jack frowned and half-turned, "Jax, we didn't say that you're going to be working for the Anne Bonney full-time.  And there's..."

Jenna interrupted, "Jack... please.  She's rather nice to work with.  And I think it will be helpful.  For both of you."

Jack scowled a bit and then nodded, turning around to see that Jax had again crept up on him and was right in his face.  He blushed a bit, trying not to look at places he shouldn't.

"Right then, ex-lover boy.  Now if you don't mind.  Ladies tent.  Now shoo."

Jack nodded and carefully walked away.

Jax waited a few minutes before continuing, "So, as we were saying, you know where I can find the rest of the bastards that did the number on me and mine?"

Jenna nodded.  "We now have resupply, but it will not be an easy task.  I... thank you for your assistance in this matter."

Jax shrugged, "Whatever.  You don't mean anything to me.  But nothing does what they did to me and my squad without payback.  You're a means to an end, pretty girl.  And that's all you are."

As Jax stood and turned to walk out, Jenna Mordheim took a moment to think to herself.  How complicated people are, she thought, that the greatest lies they tell are the ones they they give to themselves.
------------------------
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

BigToof

Quote from: Chicop76 on December 03, 2012, 05:10:56 PM
Thanks Bigtoof. I have been busy with life so it's been hard for me to frequent the site or play like I used to.

I never ran Epi, because I can foresee the same issues I have with Fate bringer would apply to him. In 6th though fate weaver is more viable with the double 3+ to come in and the 4th turn automatic. Although Fate weaver not coming in on the first turn is not a big deal. Epi on the other hand really needs to come in on turn one and with the dice Gods luck it will only happen 66.66% of the time and he will have a 66.66% chance of coming in on the next two turns on average games. Epi is awesome with followers of Nurgle than have feel no pain in 6th edition. It is crazy that a normal flame weapon can now wound on 2s with no armor saves. That is why I think 2 flamers in a nurgle marine squad would be nice when they get charged so they can dish out 2-6 auto hits that wound on 2s and deny saves.

With that list you won't get any major help from Epi and wouldn't be worth it unless you ran Plague marines.

The Tzeentch Tau alliance is viable for me since I do have the models to do it. I am still working on how it should be done. I am still working out my Mardi Gras Alliance army and the Tzeentch Tau will be my other project. I am debating on using a Tau army with kroot, vespids, and tzeentch, or do a tzeentch O'Shova list. I thought about doing a chariot, but having a flying monstrous creature would really help out since I lack anti air. I may run with a Lord of Change with flamers and horrors. My base though is going to be Daemons with Tau so I can dish out Flamer love. Two squads of suits and fire warriors with broadsides look nice. Also since the Tau can't score them can just worry about a gun line defense while my Daemons ds on the objectives? With my daemon experience I think I can keep the Daemons and tau away from each other unless I go against warp quake.

Looking at your list I noticed a lot of hard hitting weapons which will give the nurgle player some issues. You can simply ignore the Tau and focus on the Nurgle forces as the real threat.

No Problem Chicop!
I'm always glad to see your posts.
The Daemon insight is always good to see as I think Tzeench really got some great buffs and the Tally has potential to be right scary this time around.

Quote from: Isaac Baraqiel on December 03, 2012, 06:44:18 PM
I keep seeing all these new replies to the thread and thinking that Bigtoof has started posting the actual report. >.>

*drums fingers impatiently*

Hi Isaac Baraquiel,
It has ARRIVED!
Please let me know what you think, especially fluff with new characters :)

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 03, 2012, 07:09:16 PM
I find the Rulebook powers to actually be better, more flexable and usually more powerful. Yes they are random, but Farseers are Class 3 and there arent many bad powers.

Sorry for cutting out the discussion, but I think if you're going to go Farseer, then getting stones to be level 2 psyker and getting 2-3 cheap powers to trade them off seems best.
Prescience gives you re-rolls to hit for both shooting and assault and you can take it as a default power so you don't have to roll.  Anything else is kind of gravy.
Divination might be the thing to go for as you can get Perfect Timing (ignore cover) and Foreboding (use full BS for overwatch) which would make Broadsides quite dangerous.  On the other hand, Telepathy is full of debuffs that can hamper or slow down a lot of armies.  Hallucination takes out a unit a turn basically (not dead mind you but at least staring out into space), and if you can snipe out characters with high Ld, forcing Ld rolls to do anything would be very, very hard for them.
Likewise, Psychic Scream is a good killer and well...  Terrify makes things like Wraiths and other Fearless guys go away.

You are SO making me want to start a Tau/Eldar army btw.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Hi BT, another great report, I'm really liking this set of characters, especially Jack and Jenna.

The chaos army looked pretty tough there, so its a good thing you nullified the Heldrake early on. And I agree, the Tau did very little in this one, perhaps if he'd worked harder at protecting the Broadsides, maybe shield drones, then they might have done something. Its a shame that people allying with Tau just do it for the Broadsides and have a tiny squad of 6 fire warriors at the back doing nothing, they can actually be really good this edition, especially given the new rapid fire rules, just grab a squad of 12 with pulse rifles and both types of grenade and they can do surprisingly well if they keep to cover.

That Leman Russ looked to be very useful, I'm glad they haven't gone the way of so many other vehicles and become easy to destroy early on. Sticking tanks behind an Aegis is always a good move, then even Broadsides will have trouble digging them out (I know this from experience).

He was very lucky with that roll for Daemonic Ascension, its almost a shame he was so near the Incredible Hulk at the time. She always seems to become that amazing combat monster, as long as you keep rolling that spell maybe it'll make up for your inability to ever steal the initiative.

As for a Tau/Eldar army, that would certainly be interesting. Which would you use as the majority force? I'd normally suggest Tau with an Eldar alliance (because I'm biased that way), however from a fluff viewpoint, I think you write better for Eldar (Lorilune and Theilbane are both amazing characters whereas none of your Tau have really stood out amongst all of the great personalities that you've written).

Speaking of Lorilune, if there's a chance of seeing her again soon that'd be great.

Job's a good un!

BigToof

Hi Cammerz,
Thanks for your very kind reply.
I'm glad Jenna and Jack are working with you.

I hope Jax, Harry and Erik were also up to par?

As for the Tau... you're right, I haven't gotten a good handle on a character I like yet, maybe I have to work on some angle for them.  Not sure yet.

I would love to do a Tau/Eldar army, but I have... uh... quite a few armies going already.

More Lorilune?

I happen to have an Ork/Eldar combo that I've been working on.  Perhaps I can get that one out sooner or later.

I've noticed that this thread seems... suspiciously quiet?

I hope that means good, rather than bad, but I'm always worried I may have hit a wrong chord and inadvertently insulted or offput people.

Best,
-BT

P.S.  How would you feel about an Ork RP?
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Quote from: BigToof on December 05, 2012, 01:10:12 PM
Hi Cammerz,

As for the Tau... you're right, I haven't gotten a good handle on a character I like yet, maybe I have to work on some angle for them.  Not sure yet.

I would love to do a Tau/Eldar army, but I have... uh... quite a few armies going already.

More Lorilune?

I happen to have an Ork/Eldar combo that I've been working on.  Perhaps I can get that one out sooner or later.

I hope that means good, rather than bad, but I'm always worried I may have hit a wrong chord and inadvertently insulted or offput people.

Best,
-BT

All five of the characters work well and I like reading about them, I think this might be one of the main strengths of the SW/IG fluff, you only have five characters so we can connect with each one without being overwhelmed. But of the five, Jenna and Jack are my favourites.

You do indeed have quite a few armies so I can understand why you don't want to invest in yet another. Even now we often have long waits between two reports for the same army. I also have this problem, where I'll start reading about a certain army or come up with a new list idea and I'll want to get them despite the fact that I don't use my existing armies as often as I would like. As a compromise, you could always try out different units in the armies where Tau and Eldar ally with one of your pre-existing armies (for example, try using eldar pathfinders and a few D-cannons alongside the Orks just to see how they go, then you can play a variety of different units without needing a whole new army or much new fluff).

As for the lack of current replies, people are probably quite busy at the moment, I personally have a piece of uni coursework which I'm currently working on. I'm sure the others will start appearing eventually, maybe at the weekend.

And what's an Ork RP? Is that short for report? If so then yes, I'd like to see one.

Chicop76

That looked like a decisive win. Looking at the game and your list here is a few suggestions or ideals.

For better mobilty you may want to take a Vendetta. It is a cheap flyer and you can take a cheap 3 flamer special weapons team to pop out and fry guys out of terrain. Another ideal is to take some landspeeders with heavy flamer and multi meltas. I don't recall seying any fast support for your wolves so you can take a 3 speeders and us one for each spot. You can either turbo boost with them or have them come in via deep strike. The Heavy flamer can toast troops and the melta can pop tanks, or you can give them missles and sit back and shoot which is an option I like to use.

You might concider using drop pods which you can still use the first turn deep strike to flame, melta, rapid fire, or foward deploy to an objective, or break the line.

Those are a few suggestions that should help with more mobilty and help with anti-air. Also you can get your vendetta a +2 to come in on turn 2 by spending 30 points, I have to look if it is the same with Space Wolves which would be nice for scouts or deepstriking.

Thanks. Daemons recieved a huge boost this editon, or should I say Nurgle and Tzeentch did anyways. That being said both forces are very stong. I am debating on using the fortification that allows you not to scatter. With Tzeentch you can take a chariot with Icon and being a jetbike turbo boost where needed. That way next turn you can deep strike within 6" on target which for example would be killer with flamers. The platform itself would be gret to have 9 flamers with a blue scribe come in via deep strike. I'm thinking of running 9 man flamer squads with a herald of tzeentch with disk attacked to them and see how they work out.

I'm still trying to work on the tau/ tzeentch alliance, but find it difficult to do. The problem is I want my princes, flamer, screamers, horrors, etc and have only a few points for Tau. I forgot how costly suits was which makes it much harder. I might do better if i do a tau list with Daemon allies, but that would mean the Tau will have to be mobile. I'm thinking of droping the screamer ;( so I can have more of a tau pressence.

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on December 05, 2012, 05:16:48 PM
Quote from: BigToof on December 05, 2012, 01:10:12 PM
Hi Cammerz,

More Lorilune?

Best,
-BT

All five of the characters work well and I like reading about them, I think this might be one of the main strengths of the SW/IG fluff, you only have five characters so we can connect with each one without being overwhelmed. But of the five, Jenna and Jack are my favourites.

You do indeed have quite a few armies so I can understand why you don't want to invest in yet another. Even now we often have long waits between two reports for the same army. I also have this problem, where I'll start reading about a certain army or come up with a new list idea and I'll want to get them despite the fact that I don't use my existing armies as often as I would like. As a compromise, you could always try out different units in the armies where Tau and Eldar ally with one of your pre-existing armies (for example, try using eldar pathfinders and a few D-cannons alongside the Orks just to see how they go, then you can play a variety of different units without needing a whole new army or much new fluff).

As for the lack of current replies, people are probably quite busy at the moment, I personally have a piece of uni coursework which I'm currently working on. I'm sure the others will start appearing eventually, maybe at the weekend.

And what's an Ork RP? Is that short for report? If so then yes, I'd like to see one.

Ah yes, Uni!
Tests are coming up then soon.  Forgot about that.

Good luck with that btw.

As for the Rep, I'm trying to get in a good rep with Lorilune and the Orks soon.  It should be uh... memorable (I hope).

Re: The Ork RP
I meant an Ork Role-Playing On-line thing here on 2S.
I'm working on putting one up where the players are Orks.  It should be fun, if a bit tongue-in-cheek compared to all the serious ones put out.

Quote from: Chicop76 on December 05, 2012, 05:26:49 PM
That looked like a decisive win. Looking at the game and your list here is a few suggestions or ideals.

For better mobilty you may want to take a Vendetta. It is a cheap flyer and you can take a cheap 3 flamer special weapons team to pop out and fry guys out of terrain. Another ideal is to take some landspeeders with heavy flamer and multi meltas. I don't recall seying any fast support for your wolves so you can take a 3 speeders and us one for each spot. You can either turbo boost with them or have them come in via deep strike. The Heavy flamer can toast troops and the melta can pop tanks, or you can give them missles and sit back and shoot which is an option I like to use.

You might concider using drop pods which you can still use the first turn deep strike to flame, melta, rapid fire, or foward deploy to an objective, or break the line.

Those are a few suggestions that should help with more mobilty and help with anti-air. Also you can get your vendetta a +2 to come in on turn 2 by spending 30 points, I have to look if it is the same with Space Wolves which would be nice for scouts or deepstriking.

Thanks. Daemons recieved a huge boost this editon, or should I say Nurgle and Tzeentch did anyways. That being said both forces are very stong. I am debating on using the fortification that allows you not to scatter. With Tzeentch you can take a chariot with Icon and being a jetbike turbo boost where needed. That way next turn you can deep strike within 6" on target which for example would be killer with flamers. The platform itself would be gret to have 9 flamers with a blue scribe come in via deep strike. I'm thinking of running 9 man flamer squads with a herald of tzeentch with disk attacked to them and see how they work out.

I'm still trying to work on the tau/ tzeentch alliance, but find it difficult to do. The problem is I want my princes, flamer, screamers, horrors, etc and have only a few points for Tau. I forgot how costly suits was which makes it much harder. I might do better if i do a tau list with Daemon allies, but that would mean the Tau will have to be mobile. I'm thinking of droping the screamer ;( so I can have more of a tau pressence.

Hi Chicop,
Thanks for the reply.  I am really thinking pods.  Seriously thinking about them, just not sure if they'll be as effective, as SW can't combat squad, but perhaps just one for interference?

The Vendetta is another idea I keep kicking around, but I don't have one and well... pricey for what it does and a single flyer is just asking for trouble now-a-days.

Re: Tau and Daemons
You might want to consider what you want the tau to be handling.
Daemons certainly handle heavy infantry well with the flamers, and Termiantors and tanks with the Screamers, but the latter mostly in melee.
The Tau might be best as a semi-mobile force that can use the chaos that the Daemons make to line up targets and such.
Love to see a game or two in with this concept!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Chicop76

Cool no problem. Space Wolves is probably my weakest area although I do gloss over the book often. I hate the fact the wolves can't score. I would love to see a wolf swarm army with Thunderwolves. The not scoring part is what deters me from getting wolves.

Looking over some rules I didn't realise that you can now infiltrate with vehicles. It is helpful with I think Harker Veterans where you can infiltrate a Chimera with the squad.

On the guard side if you take Creed you can scout move or outflank with any unit you want. I do not know if it would work with Wolves though. Also Alshama the Arabian looking guy can outflank his whole platoon, Jack Hawins and his whole squad could out flank. I have a guy wih a hood and a cape with same gear a the outflanking officer and use him as such. You have some storm guard which can also come in via deep strike with no problems as well.

My question is it a matter of getting men across the field or scoring units across. I think a Cyberwolf squad would be cool to see which I never seen them fielded ever. Also roughriders would be cool. I'm still working on my centaur conversions. Thinking about it horses and wolves would be a cool dynamic to see fielded.

If I remember correctly can't a rune priest teleport units to point A to point B. I have to look and see since I do not have the codex with me.

The problem with a Tzeentch/ tau list for me is these issues.
1. Tzeentch is my army for a few years now. While I haven't played Tau in a long while even though i have like 6k points in Tau and they was my first army, and fully painted army as well.

2. The problem with the two lies in a lot of units do very similar things. In my opinion Tzeentch plays like a deep stiking Tau army which is more mobile.
                 a. If you compare stealth suits to horrors for half the cost you're getting almost the same unit minus all the cool stuff. The +4 invul and daemon rules makes up for not having stealth even more so if fateweaver parks near them. You do lose the assault move mobility, but str 4 ap 4 over all is better than str 5 ap 5, which drives the point in when you face +4 saving armies. Also Horrors can take bolt which is a longer range melta without the melta special rule.

b. Next you have flamers of Tzeentch which can fit the role of stealth suits with the triple strength 4 shotss with a better bs and several points cheaper. The Flamers lost bolt, but gain a lot. the extra wound makes up for the poor invulnerable save. Also Breath of Chaos by far is much better than crisis suits getting with in double tap range with plasma. Suits double tap plasma death on the move is 18", while the Flamers Flying eat your face flame is 20". The fact you auto hit and have wall of fire makes getting suits with plasma guns mute.

c. Screamers easily can be seen as 2 11 point models. They easily replace kroot and vespid, but much better. They have a 36" threat range where they can fly over and wound models. Heck they can come in via deep strike and rake models on their turbo boots and riecve jinks rolls. They have eviserators that strike on initiative. With th deep strike rake than assault they can take out most units with out support. If they was scoring on the other 5/6 missions they would be concidered better than flamers, not to mention these guys happen to be bullet magnets which draws fire from your flamers.

d. Chariots and the Tzeentch prince also takes away from plasma suits as an option. Daemonic Gaze is a strength 5 marine killer at 24" which both can move from 6"-36" to pepper a target with marine killing death. The high bs of 5 on the princes makes marker lights useless and put your O to shame for being the same amout of points, but much more deadlier. 220 points is a lot to make it winged and 260 makes it flying death with breath of chaos, gaze, bolt, and master of sorcery which allows it to shoot all 3 weapons. My prince is usually slow at 160, but the fire power makes up for it and with the screamer and flamer interference they tend to be ignored since they can only kill 3 possible 4 marines out in the open from 30" away on the move, the other 2 kill much more lol.

e. fateweaver and a LOC provides anti air options in case you come across a Vendttea you can bolt the Vendetta and possibly split fire which Tau used to be able to do, Fateweaver is a much better force multiplier than an Etheral.

f. Daemons even have a better armoured vehicle which ignores shaken and stunned results with railgun type weapon if need, although at worst bs. not only that you have a battle cannon pie plate that is much better than the submuntion round. As an added plus you can flame and run up and hit people with power fist. Only weapon it fears is a melta gun, and getting immobilized.

With that being said tau do have some avenues that Daemons lack.
1. The fact you can feild 9 rail guns which not to many armies can say I can field 9 strength 10 ap 1 weapons and only Tyranids is the only army I know that can field 15 strength 10 ranged weapons followed by guard which can do 12 strength 10 pie plates. Anyway tau can do so much cheaper than the other two on a more durable unit in some regards. The rail gun however I can see very useful. Even though Fateweaver can now pop a landraider by using hammer of wrath some rail gun shots would be useful. Against armour 12 and lower armies vehicles are not a problem for Tzeentch. 13 or higher becomes a slight problem do to bolt of tzeentch becomes less effective and where breath of chaos comes into play where you start glance death to vehicles. I love 6th fo the fact all I need to do is glace a raider 4 times to kill it with flamers, which in the prior edition you just kep it glanced to reduce the vehicles from firing at you.

2. Missle pods and meltas can be useful. Six strength 7 shots is very useful and meltas help with taking out vehicles. That being said sceamers take the place of melta since in a way they can dish out 36 type melta attacks. The lack of strength 7 weapons is what tau can easily bring to the table.

3. Another issue is durability. A horror and a FireWarrior have almost the exact same stat line. the only differance in initiative which Tzeentch happens to have initiative 3 and leadership. A regular horror runs almost double as a standard fire warrior. Against standard arms they have pretty much the same saving throw although horrors laugh at plasma's ap 2 which tau get toasted unless they happen to be in cover.

The problem I having is the armies are very similiar. it's almost like taking Spacewolves and BloodAngels as allies. The main differance however Tzeentch does a lot of things better and more cost effective.

Another problem with the alliance is the tau forces on the board have to survive turn one fire if they go first. if all you have is 12 firewarriors, 3 broasides, Shas el, and maybe 3 suits that force could easily get decimated. Which leaves the turn one Daemon deep strikes to pick up the slack. the less daemons in your force the harder it will be to pick up the slack. the more Daemons you have the easier it is for the Tau forces to get irradicated, so far I'm thinking Tau as the parent might me the best way to go. 1 chariot, 3 3 flamers, 2 horror squads, 1 screamer squad, and a tzeencth prince. looking at what I have i might add another herald. The problem with this is tau will now have to move up and may run into issues bing to close to the Daemons. If done in referse tau can sit back and lay down support. If I did Tau and the other 3 Daemon forces i don't see the problems that i am having with Mono Tzeentch. Anyway i'll gie it a go.

Rej

Finally got around to reading this, great report, the fluff was really good as usual, I'm loving the characters and storyline so far and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!
Phew...

BigToof

To Chicop:
It sounds like you've got this down pat!
I'd love to really see this in action if you ever get the time...

Quote from: Rej on December 06, 2012, 11:20:28 PM
Finally got around to reading this, great report, the fluff was really good as usual, I'm loving the characters and storyline so far and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Hi Rej!
Great to hear from you.  Also glad you're liking the characters and fluff.
Sorry if it got a little long-winded, but I hope it makes the standard :)
New reps are always coming.  Let me know if you'd like something in particular!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Lord Sotek

Quote from: BigToof on December 04, 2012, 02:53:59 PM
Hi Isaac,
It has ARRIVED!

A bit late on this one, but that's engineering courses for you.

I like that Jenna's out to actively make the galaxy a better place for Mankind! That's a rare and precious thing in the Grim Dark Future. And this game, she went Super Saiyan and whomped on a daemon prince. My mind is still trying to reconcile this information with the fact that she's a non-special character in an Imperial Guard list... People obsess and kvetch about flyers in 6th, but from what I've seen lately, it seems like psykers got the real across-the-board power boost.

Jax... Whoo boy. Jax one is rather unpleasant lady.

There's nothing wrong with her as a character, mind you; there's any number of strong characters about who are highly driven and kick-ass warriors but not the most joyous of people to spend free time with. (Hell, there's entire armies of them in 40k, that sell like candy and rhyme with Lace Machines.) I'm not saying she's written badly, either. But "in character" I can't say I'd like her very much as a person. I understand she's been through hell and back, but sweet Throne of Terra is she exorbitantly belligerent and vindictive, and more than a bit of an asshole. Jenna is handling her with far more serenity than I would, but I find myself wondering what will happen when Ms. Volatile finally ruffles her feathers.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

BigToof

Quote from: Isaac Baraqiel on December 11, 2012, 12:26:08 AM
Quote from: BigToof on December 04, 2012, 02:53:59 PM
Hi Isaac,
It has ARRIVED!

A bit late on this one, but that's engineering courses for you.

I like that Jenna's out to actively make the galaxy a better place for Mankind! That's a rare and precious thing in the Grim Dark Future. And this game, she went Super Saiyan and whomped on a daemon prince. My mind is still trying to reconcile this information with the fact that she's a non-special character in an Imperial Guard list... People obsess and kvetch about flyers in 6th, but from what I've seen lately, it seems like psykers got the real across-the-board power boost.

Jax... Whoo boy. Jax one is rather unpleasant lady.

There's nothing wrong with her as a character, mind you; there's any number of strong characters about who are highly driven and kick-dyi warriors but not the most joyous of people to spend free time with. (Hell, there's entire armies of them in 40k, that sell like candy and rhyme with Lace Machines.) I'm not saying she's written badly, either. But "in character" I can't say I'd like her very much as a person. I understand she's been through hell and back, but sweet Throne of Terra is she exorbitantly belligerent and vindictive, and more than a bit of an dyeri. Jenna is handling her with far more serenity than I would, but I find myself wondering what will happen when Ms. Volatile finally ruffles her feathers.

Thanks for the reply Isaac!

Jenna is really shaping up to be a favorite of mine.  She has a strange optimism that is rare and kind of infectious, if only because she knows that her fate is basically doomed.  As a 40k psyker, she's probably going to be corrupted/driven insane by the Warp, and she knows this.  So, she wants to do as much as she can for who's going to be left.

In contrast, Jax is quite the opposite.  Introverted, selfish, and harsh, she's got a lot of emotional baggage that she doesn't know how to deal with.  As a female stormtrooper sergeant (a bit of rare combination in itself), she's focused on being extra macho and tough, and to that extent she's succeeded.  But, she doesn't know how to deal with people outside of her small clique of extra-tough professionals who are rugged with extraordinarily high pain thresholds.  The fact that Jack liked her is still throwing her, and his subsequent rejection really hurt her.  She's not sure how to deal with it outside of physical aggression.

Jenna sees Jax as a real opportunity to do some good.  As a psyker with a lot of telepathic power, she can see how messed up Jax is, and also how important Jax is to Jack.  So, she's basically putting her safety and happiness behind what she sees as good for Jax and Jack.

Wow, that got... kind of long.

Hope this helps, as I really do like writing about them all!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  The newest rep for the Orks is also up.  It's a bit... devoid of comments at the moment...
BigToof Points: