News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Are flechette dischargers on a Tau vehicle useful?

Started by salamut2202, December 02, 2012, 11:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

That is actually something very important to remember here; Flechettes are reducing the number of incoming attacks the vehicle receives with every successful kill they make. Even if it had the same rules as Envenomed Blades, that's a bonus that can make a big difference. If you opponent is relying on, say, five Krak Grenades to kill your vehicle, then killing one or two of those grenadiers before they can hit could save your vehicle, whereas the Blades are basically a 'take you down with me' option.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

The Man They Call Jayne

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't preotecting the vehicle the WHOLE POINT? A defensive mechanism that goes off after your hull has been caved in isn't much good to anyone.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 06, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't preotecting the vehicle the WHOLE POINT? A defensive mechanism that goes off after your hull has been caved in isn't much good to anyone.
That's exactly the point I've been making. The Flechettes protect the vehicle better in combat than anything else around, or that has been around. Add that into the fact that they're also significantly better at inflicting damage than comparative equipment and there is absolutely no argument that Flechettes are both overpowered and undercosted.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Chicop76

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on December 06, 2012, 07:10:31 PM
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 06, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
That's exactly the point I've been making. The Flechettes protect the vehicle better in combat than anything else around, or that has been around. Add that into the fact that they're also significantly better at inflicting damage than comparative equipment and there is absolutely no argument that Flechettes are both overpowered and undercosted.

My concern is in my experance and thanks to glance death most my vehicles die to shooting and not assaults. Last time any of my tau vehicles I can recall got assaulted was way back in 4th when rending was overpowered. Keeping in mind with my play style I rarely put my vehicles in the postion to get assaulted and I do tend to jump out my Vehicle's to cause rapid fire death. I almost forgot I should count getting assaulted by a bloodthirster, winged hive tyrant, and trygon.

I see your point, and think you made a nice sell, but that is a gun drone or fire warrior I can field. If these assaults happen a lot than I can see. Also if it went back to if you tank shocked units I can see it being helpful.

I see this as one of those arguments like taking rough riders in your guard force. I love them and one day i will use them, but you have Vendettas, Armoured Sentinals, Bane Wolf, and or Hellhound you can use over them and in differant ways are better than using Rough Riders. Not to mention their weapons are ap 3 which diminishes using them even more so.