News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Baneblade- ash wastes/ steel legion-esque camo scheme

Started by Tempest Six Two, December 04, 2012, 01:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest Six Two

I decided to finally pull my finger out and get my Baneblade finished. This is  the tank which was previously painted in a horrid Mechrite Red, of which small bits can still be seen- im cleaning these up at the moment.

Base is the now (sadly) superceded Charadon Granite- luckily my pot of it is still nice and useable. The base colour for the camo stripes are Zandri Dust (Base) and then I used umm... I cant rememeber? Its the one thats almost Bleached bone, but a few shades darker... this was used in the middle of the stripes to make the scheme 'pop'. All the camo was done with a GW tank brush, drybrushing lazily while watching some TV.

And cos I was bored last ngiht I thought i'd try some blue tones and white reflecty stuff on the searchlight, I think it worked out okay. Next up is all the metal on the gun barrels, on the tracks, etc, and I'm going to do some gold as well- ie  silver with sepia washes, for that 'battleworn' look.

Still got a lot left to do, but thought i'd share- its looking pretty good IMO.
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

The Man They Call Jayne

I like it, especially the searchlight. It definatly looks glassy to me. Did you put a layer of 'ard coat over it for some extra shine or is that just the paintjob?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

BigToof

Now THAT is a really pretty tank.
You have to keep us updated as it comes along!

Are you going to name it?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Tempest Six Two

Cheers lads.

Jayne-the searchlight is paint only, I reckon i can pull off fake-shine well enough to not need it :)

BT- Yeah, updates will come as often as I can get time to work on the tank- still going full tilt on my BA army, but the Baneblade is a good distraction for sure.
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

LinnScarlett

Hm, looking at it makes me want to paint tanks... and I don't even like tanks (nor do my Catachan really need them, though some of my SM armies might want them... maybe, one day.)

The searchlight is amazing, if you ask me. It looks really good/convincing! The idea of using a lighter shade to make the camo pop is a good one, must remember that one - I've got a hell of a jungle tiger stripe going on for my Catachan, and it could use some splunk to it.

When you finish the yet unpainted parts, how do you plan on weathering it, or what sort of degree of weathering look will you be aiming for?
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Chocomel

If i had half your skill i'd be a happy man. looking forward to see it all painted up, might steal a thing or too for my own baneblade.

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Chocomel on December 19, 2012, 05:50:44 PM
If i had half your skill i'd be a happy man. looking forward to see it all painted up, might steal a thing or too for my own baneblade.

You have me - just gimmie the damn Baneblade and I'll paint it all up *resists urge to put her Catachan tiger-stripe on it*
I don't know if I could do the reflections that well, but heck, not tried not told, right?

Part of me kind of likes the idea of painting tanks, having the flat space to do some seriously nice patterns and some complete crazy free hands... hmmmm....  ;D

Chocomel

I already painted all the periscopes and light with gloss black. you can apply a wash if you really want to paint it... shade every rivet  ;)

LinnScarlett

Actually... I would, but you knew this already. The Baneblade just looks like something fun to paint. Just... uck. Expensive... and quite pointless for my Catachan.

Tempest Six Two

Detailing the rivets are an easy job to be honest (well, a big job, but easy to do). Get a medium brush, with a wash of your favourite dark colour, and just lightly rub the brush on top of the rivet back and forth, this will make the wash run down and surround the base of the rivet. Then go back later and retouch the top of the rivets later with the base colour. I'm planning to use Agrax (Devlan) for this purpose, as well as lining the recessed areas between the armour plating and defining right angle edges- will add some definiiton without looking too stark.

Linn- not 100% sure on the weathering at this point- in general Im not one to go too overboard with it- my Dark Angels and Blood Angels are all relatively 'parade-ground fresh', although I'm keen to give this tank a bit of a gritty campaign feel.

Perhaps some very light dirt drybrushing around the track areas, some scorching at the end of the gun barrels (inc heat distortion at the ends of the lascannons), and some chips and scratches.   

Sadly, wont be getting any more work in on this until my 1805pt BA list is done (see the project logs section if you're interested).

LinnScarlett

Mhm, I was just wondering. I'd go completely overboard if I get my hands on a tank, but also because I would first paint it to fit with Chocomel's Cadian army, and then vandalise it in such a way that makes it look as if the tank got cannibalised by my Catachan. I've been considering going with quite a weahtered/dirty outdoorsy look for my Catachan all around, and been sitting on how to do some realisting mud splatters / stains. Hence, I asked, to see if you had anything interesting planned in that department. :)