News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Scythes of the Emperor 1850

Started by Aun, December 05, 2012, 10:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aun

Heya guys  :) I've picked up a Space Marine chapter to have a bit of variety from playing my Thousand Sons and decided to build it as the Scythes of the Emperor. Please take a look at my list and tell me what you think.

Chapter Master Thrasius
140 points
(This guy is a stand-in for a Forge World chapter master. He is WS 5 BS 6, armed with a Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol and a Bolter named Malice that has a 30" range, is Assault 2/Heavy 4 and has access to the Sternguard special amo. He grants Stealth as a chapter tactic, enemies deduct 1 from their reserve roll and a single enemy unit at the beginning of the game suffers from sabotage. If the unit is a vehicle then it suffers a single glancing hit, otherwise the unit suffers D6 wounds with no AP.)

Apothecary Master Herot
135 points
(This guy is another Forge World special character. Essentially an Apothecary with 2 wounds and WS 5 armed with a power weapon and plasma pistol, he allows the unit he is with to re-roll all rolls of a 1 on their feel-no-pain rolls.)

10 Space Marines w/ Multi Melta, Melta Gun, Combi Melta
Rhino
220 points

10 Space Marines w/ Multi Melta, Melta Gun, Combi Melta
Rhino
220 points

10 Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks
170 points
(The space marine FAQ states that Camo Cloaks now provide a +1 cover save rather than the stealth special rule, which the Chapter Master gives them. This means that they have a +2 to cover saves)

8 Sternguard w/ Rhino
235 points

Dreadnaught w/ 2 twin linked autocannons
125 points

Stormtalon Gunship w/ Skyhammer Missiles
155 points

Whirlwind
85 points

10 Devistators w/ 4 Missile Launchers w/ Rhino
265 points

Aegis Defense Line w/ Quad Gun
100 points

Essentially, my plan is to have the two independent characters join the Sternguard unit, the Apothecary Master providing the Sternguard and Chapter Master with a good Feel-No-Pain save.
The army will essentially deploy statically with most of my long ranged elements in cover to benefit from stealth and a strategically placed Aegis Defense Line helping. The Tactical Squads and Sternguard will advance midfield and claim objectives or actively destroy enemy threats under cover of longer ranged support elements.

Arguleon-veq

It seems pretty solid to me, is the chapter master using the rules for the mantis warriors chapter master?

The only problem I have is Rhinos. They will give up first blood. If you havent made the army yet I would suggest drop pods over them. The only other thing id do is just throw a missile launcher into the scouts.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Aun

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 06, 2012, 06:06:57 PM
It seems pretty solid to me, is the chapter master using the rules for the mantis warriors chapter master?

The only problem I have is Rhinos. They will give up first blood. If you havent made the army yet I would suggest drop pods over them. The only other thing id do is just throw a missile launcher into the scouts.

He's the Raptors chapter master.

I've played a couple of games without Rhinos in my Thousand Sons army and I honestly cant live without them. The single victory point I might possibly give up is, at least to me well worth the mobility and denial they provide all game. Saying that though, the only reason I took one with the devastators is because I had exactly 35 points left.
I'll throw in a missile launcher with the scouts and fiddle around with the extra 25 points. Maybe give some of the sternguard combi-meltas.

Arguleon-veq

Ah yeah thats the one.

Combi Meltas are always a great choice on Sternguard.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Rhinos provide static fire protection and you can be mobile with them. If going against a foot army the rhinos can leave quickly and attack and fortify postions real quick. The rapid fire pop out I still a good tactic. The only problem I see is if not moving with yur troops you can always fire 2 melta shots. The combi melta is helpful once on the move and becomes spent. Lack of flame weapons is another issue. If you have a squad with +2 cover save it would be a bother to get them out of postion, I see the whirlwind and I think special amunition also covers it. Yet I am a fan of flame templates even before 6th came out.