News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

WAARGH! Grumgutz vs. Tau/Eldar in "The Tale of Two Farseers" (1500, 12/6): DONE!

Started by BigToof, December 07, 2012, 12:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

WAARGH! Grumgutz vs. Tau/Eldar in "The Tale of Two Farseers" (1500, 12/6)

Hi All,
So, I went in looking for a fight with my Orks, and I was talking around about how I'd love to fight a Tau/Eldar alliance.
One of my mates (who was trying like most everyone to avoid fighting GK or Necrons) heard and said that he had a Tau/Eldar list that needed the kinks worked out of it.
As an Eldar player, he was liking the Tau, and it was actually Tau primary!
Well, how could I say no to that, especially as I had a new list made up?
Lots of changes, with Deffkoptas, MANZ(!), Fire Dragons and even some shenanigans thrown in for fun.
And yes, there's fluff :)

Enjoy, and leave me a comment if you have the time!

Best,
-BT

--------------------------------

------------
The Lists
------------
WAARGH! Grumgutz (1500pts): 60 Infantry, 2 Vehicles, 2 Artillery; 13 VPs
Da Orkz
-Big Mek Wingnut w/PK, Bike, Cybork
-Warboss BigToof w/Mega-Armor, Cybork (He's the Warlord? Really?)
-Lootasx10
-MANZx4 in Trukk w/Ram
-Shootasx20
-Grotzx10 w/Runtherd Zogwog
-Deffkoptasx4 w/TL-Big Shootas
-Dakkajet w/Supa-Shootasx3, Fighta Ace
-Battlewagon w/Armor Plates, Big Shoota, Ram
-Lobbasx2 w/Ammo Grotsx2
Dem Panzee Gitz
-Farseer Lorilune w/Bike, RoWarding, SStones, Guide, Mind War
-Fire Dragonsx5 w/Exarch, Crackshot
-Guardian Jetbikesx3
Ageis Defense Line w/Quadgun

Tau/Eldar Tricky-Shooty Death (1500): 30 Infantry, 2 Vehicles, 1 MC; 11 VPs
Cadre Defense Force
-Shas'El w/TL-Missile Pods, BSF, Vectored Thruster
-Crisis Suitsx2 w/Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods, BSF
-Crisis Suitsx2 w/Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods, BSF
-Fire Warriorsx6 in Devilfish w/BSF, Disruptor Pod
-Fire Warriorsx6 in Devilfish w/BSF, Disruptor Pod
-Broadsidesx2 w/BSF, Shield Drone
Eldar "Oracles"
-Farseer Illandara w/RoWarding, Fortune, Guide, SStones, Spear
-Wraithguardx10 w/Spiritseer
-Wraithlord w/EML
Ageis Defense Line w/Icarus Lascannon

--------------------------------------
Chapter Three: Of Mice and Men... and Orks
--------------------------------------
"Oh, no, no, no Illandara, you simply don't understand."

Farseer Lorilune of the Craftworld Saim-Hann laughed politely at Farseer Illandara of the Craftworld Iyanden.  Illandara had shown up practically on her doorstep and it was all Lorilune could do but offer her fellow the standard hospitality.  The fact that Lorilune was aligned with Orks did make it difficult to find the barest of necessities, but the best that was available was put up for the visiting Farseer.  However, Illandara was doing her best, either with malice or negligence, to wear out her welcome.

"Then educate me then, Lorilune," said Illandara, wrinkling her nose at the proffered drink.  "And forgive me if I do not partake of this... whatever this is.  If this is the best you have been living with, I can see why your intuition has been dulled."

Lorilune frowned.  Illandara was the one who had sent her the Soul Stone that had restored her once lost powers.  So, she was grateful.  But even there were limits.

"Very well then... I am simply stating that Orks are a far superior Catspaw than the Tau."

Illandara carefully, but still noticeably, stifled a half-snort of apprehension.

"Now, you must be the one joking.  The Tau have so much to offer that the Orks cannot.  Cleaner provisions for one."

Lorilune rolled her eyes, "You cannot expect me to believe that a group of naive, grey-skinned children can produce anything palatable by Eldar standards.  Now, the Orks may be lacking in manners, but they are easily manipulated and have both ferocity and numbers that the Tau lack."

Smirking, Illandara countered, "Numbers, that is true, but the Tau have both firepower and technology that the Orks cannot simply come by."

Lorilune shifted in her chair, "Granted, the Orks' technology is crude, but it is effective.  And their firepower is effective... in its own merits."

"Then leadership, Lorilune," Illandara continued, "You have to admit that Orks are basically unthinking, unplanning animals that run after anything you put in front of them.  Tau, on the other hand, are careful planners, and can actually do what you send them out to do."

"Quite to the contrary," Lorilune said, "I've found that a number of Orks are actually quite cunning to some extent."

Illandara chuckled, bringing up a rather visible ire in Lorilune, "Perhaps by Saim-Hann standards.  But any Ork cannot compare.  Surely you're not referring to this... Grumgutz fellow?"

Lorilune smirked, "Of course I mean Grumgutz.  The fool practically can't do anything without me.  It would be simplicity in itself for me to summon him and lead him and his pack of jackanapes around on a merry hunt.  But he is cunning.  Certainly more so than one of your Tau."

"Ah," said Illandara, "A contest then?  My Tau versus your Orks.  I happen to have a Cadre in the area, and the poor souls actually trust me as some sort of oracle."

Lorilune laughed, "Oh dear, Illandara, I'm not sure.  I'd hate to see you lose quite so badly.  But, assuming as much, what are the stakes?"

Illandara brought a thoughtful finger to her lips, "Let us say...  A favor.  The winner may ask a favor of any kind and the loser must accede to it."

Lorilune raised an eyebrow.  "High stakes indeed.  But I suppose I could add another favor to my collection."

The two Farseers nodded and walked away.

As soon as Illandara was far enough, Lorilune allowed herself a moment of satisfaction.  A favor from a high-ranking Farseer such as Illandara would allow her to finally reconnect with a proper Craftworld and perhaps relieve some of her present status as a near-Outcast.  All she had to do was get Grumgutz to fight some Tau.  How hard would that be?

-------------------

"What do you mean he's not here?!"

Big Mek Wingnut scratched his ear.  Louie was screamin' again about somethin'.

"Yeah, da Boss said he was goin' out."

"Where is he going?"

"Uh... Didn't say."

"When is he coming back?!"

"Uh... Didn't say."

"Did you say ANYTHING?"

"Yeah.  'Bye.'"

Lorilune rubbed her temples.  Things had just gotten complicated.  There wasn't enough time for Grumgutz to get back.  Illandara would win by default.  She had to something.  Anything.  She threw a glance at Wingnut who took an involuntary step back.

"You!"

"Me?"

"You can be Grumgutz!"

"Uh... No?"

"Yes, yes, you...  Oh, we can put you on a Bike and... and..."

Wingnut scratched his head, "But, Louie, I ain't never been on a Bike."

"Learn fast!" Lorilune screamed, tossing a helmet at Wingnut.  "Now put this on."

Wingnut shrugged and put it on.  Getting Louie mad was just an excuse for punishment and without Grumgutz around there wasn't anything that could stop her.  Best just to ride it out.

Lorilune paced around Wingnut looking carefully.

"No, no, no," she shook her head, "This just won't do.  The bike part fits, but you're not... not..."

"Big enough?"

"Yes," Lorilune said, pointing at Wingnut who again involuntarily ducked, "Yes.  We need someone bigger.  You can ride the bike.  We can get some big idiot to act the other part, and we can make this work.  But where are we going to get someone big enough?"

There was a clatter, and the huge, armored form of Deffdread BigToof clamored into the Mek's workshop, clearly in distress.

"Wingnut!" yelled the Dread, "You gotta help me!  I ate too much Squig Pie and now I's bustin' outta my box!  Can ya make me a bigger one? ...  Oh, hi Louie, how's it goin'?"

Lorilune threw a devilish smirk at Wingnut.

Wingnut gasped, as the idea hit him, "But, but, Louie!  It ain't never been done before!  A reverse Dread-ectomy!"

The Farseer walked over and put a hand on Wingnut's shoulder.

"I can think of noone else that I would trust for the job.  Now, if you screw it up, I'll make you wish you were never born.  So, get started!"
---------------------
Setup: Dawn of War (Night Fight ON = Awww...)
Mission: Scouring (Huh... ok... At least he has no fast attack...)
Warlord: BigToof: Acts as Scoring! (O.M.G.) Shas'el: Princeps of Deciept (Uh... he can move guys around...?)
Psychic:
Lorilune: Psychic Shriek, TERRIFY (muhahahaha)
Illandara stays with Fortune and Guide
---------------------
To be continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

The Man They Call Jayne

Oooh. . .this could be interesting.

Some nice weapons from the Tau and a little Wraithwall (Wraithfence maybe?) To soak up a stupidly high amount of damage.

You definatly have the speed advantage, your firepower seems to be about equal all things considered, and he has the durability and armour.

Too close to even try to call I think.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Cammerz

Always nice to see the good old characters making a return, BigToof was one of my favourite characters back in the days when he had his pet Wulfen in a bag which he would bring out for tea parties.

And I see the chance of regaining more of her lost power is making Lorilune more reckless, this is an interesting direction for the character and I hope the outcome of this battle directs the future fluff; if she wins then she'll have even more power and she'll become even more reckless and maybe go slightly mad if it keeps going. On the other hand, if at some point she loses, she'll probably have a long hard think about what she's done, and it'd probably have the opposite effect.
Such fun.

When I read the army list, I must say I needed to read the warboss entry several times before I understood what was happening, fortunately the fluff explained it to me, I hope this game will let us see more fluff about your namesake as it progresses.

As for the Taudar list, I see another player being rather minimalist with the Tau troops. At least they've got a bit of protection from the Orks so they can try to seize objectives. I probably wouldn't have added blacksun filters to the 'fish, they don't really add anything, but if you notice the rather large debate currently going on elsewhere in the forums, flechette dischargers are becoming useful, especially against orks.

And your list, lobbas but no deff rolla? Interesting, I look forward to seeing how all of this works out.

BigToof

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 07, 2012, 01:33:34 AM
Oooh. . .this could be interesting.

Some nice weapons from the Tau and a little Wraithwall (Wraithfence maybe?) To soak up a stupidly high amount of damage.

You definatly have the speed advantage, your firepower seems to be about equal all things considered, and he has the durability and armour.

Too close to even try to call I think.

Hi Jayne,
I'm glad you're liking the matchup.  I was really nervous to tell you the truth, but it turned out to be a real fun game.  I haven't faced Wraithwall yet in 6th edition and let me tell you, they are NASTY.  The Wraithlord, especially is frightening as it can easily get cover and isn't the nicest of fellows up close or at range.  My list is also a real WIP, so not as smooth as usual, definitely.  I was a bit surprised he didn't go for a big Tau blob with Fire Warriors or whatnot, but I suppose everyone has their opinions.  At least he didn't go Eldrad!

Quote from: Cammerz on December 07, 2012, 08:43:51 AM
Always nice to see the good old characters making a return, BigToof was one of my favourite characters back in the days when he had his pet Wulfen in a bag which he would bring out for tea parties.

And I see the chance of regaining more of her lost power is making Lorilune more reckless, this is an interesting direction for the character and I hope the outcome of this battle directs the future fluff; if she wins then she'll have even more power and she'll become even more reckless and maybe go slightly mad if it keeps going. On the other hand, if at some point she loses, she'll probably have a long hard think about what she's done, and it'd probably have the opposite effect.
Such fun.

When I read the army list, I must say I needed to read the warboss entry several times before I understood what was happening, fortunately the fluff explained it to me, I hope this game will let us see more fluff about your namesake as it progresses.

As for the Taudar list, I see another player being rather minimalist with the Tau troops. At least they've got a bit of protection from the Orks so they can try to seize objectives. I probably wouldn't have added blacksun filters to the 'fish, they don't really add anything, but if you notice the rather large debate currently going on elsewhere in the forums, flechette dischargers are becoming useful, especially against orks.

And your list, lobbas but no deff rolla? Interesting, I look forward to seeing how all of this works out.

Hi Cammerz,
Yes, this was a really fun list to make.  The Deffrollas I took out as I only had one Battlewagon, and now, there's no hope of people making mistakes on leaving their tanks within 12" as you can premeasure everything.  I can still tank-shock and what-not, but I wanted to try a game without them.  The Tau list was also pretty interesting.  I don't know why he took BSF on EVERYTHING, and I just wrote it down as such.  I think it was more Eldar mindset than anything, as you want the option to scoot and shoot all the time.  Or so I think...
In any case, I was surprised at the lack of pathfinders, but I guess he has enough shooty to make up for it.
As for the fluff, Lorilune is getting interesting again, as she is on a potential crossroads and... yes, Warboss BigToof.  It's uh... going to be one of those days...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Rej

This looks like its shaping up to be a good battle! I can't wait!
Phew...

BigToof

Quote from: Rej on December 08, 2012, 12:21:23 AM
This looks like its shaping up to be a good battle! I can't wait!

Thanks Rej,
I thought it was a lot of fun, and it was VERY different having a Farseer that you had to worry about on the other side of the table!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

BigToof

Hi All,
And here's the rest of the rep.
It's... kind of short.
Please let me know if you have any Tau/Eldar advice as well...
Just read and see.

Best,
-BT
----------------

Setup: Apparently, I have said too much regarding the gods of terrain, as they sought to really push their luck this game.  We rolled up almost MAXIMUM cover this game except in the center rectangles in which we had one each.  I put my ADL there and so did he.
So each of the other areas was filled with a ruin and a veritable forest of trees.

My opponent laughably suggested that we should make every terrain piece mysterious, and almost received a Battlewagon to the head.

So we then placed objectives, roughly three to each side, evenly spread out.  Then, we flipped over points.  It was almost fair, with him getting (L to R by my eye) 4, 2,2 and myself getting 1, 3, 3.

I won the roll to deploy first, putting the MANZ Trukk to the left as well as the Deffkoptas with Wingnut and also the Shootas.  Behind the line went the Lobbas and the Fire Dragons on the Quadgun.  To the right went the Wagon with Lootas and Toof with Lorilune and her bikes behind that.

My opponent asked me the finer points of my units, but clearly did not like my Warboss.  So, he deployed heavily to the left.  Both Suits and Fire Warrior-laden Devilfish went to the left to guard the 4 objective, and then he put down the Wraithwall.  All the Wraithguard went behind his ADL, directly across from mine, with the Farseer and Shas'El in it for shenanigans. The Wraithlord went behind them to deter assaults and look fancy.  The Broadsides went to the right, clearly eying the Wagon.

He failed to seize and the game began!

Picture Caption: So, I just run up, shoot, and maybe assault.  I can do that!

-----------
Interlude
-----------
Shas'El Vas'kor looked out at the mish-mash of Orks on the battlefield.  He frowned.  Something seemed amiss.

"Are you certain, Oracle, that these are the Orks of the famed Warlord Grumgutz?"

Farseer Illandara paused for a moment and then nodded, "Yes.  Certainly so.  I have not failed you once yet, have I, Vas'kor?"

Vas'kor stood up, choosing not to reply.  It was strange.  He had heard that the great Grumgutz Bitzgrabber was a mountain of an Ork always going to battle on a loud, belching Warbike.  But the only Ork he saw on a bike was not that much bigger than the others.  And his scouts brought him data on the largest Ork, clad in enormous armor.  He checked the data again, still not entirely believing the scans.

"Come now, Vas'kor," continued Illandara, "Certainly you have seen attempts by enemy units to confuse and disorient their opponents?"

Vas'kor nodded, "Certainly so, Oracle.  But... certainly not anything like this."

------------

Lorilune snarled, looking across the field.  Illandara certainly wasn't playing fair.  An entire legion of Wraithguard AND a Wraithlord?  She wondered how many resources Illandara had if she could bring such might to bear.  If she had Grumgutz, they might stand a chance, but as it was...

"Louie!  Look!  I's can move my feet!"

Lorilune sighed and glanced over at the newly "transplanted" BigToof, waddling around on his new "Taktikul Deffdread" armor.  The creature was noticeably smaller, but just as gruesome looking, clumsily waddling around on his enormous armored legs like a newborn.  A homicidally psychopathic newborn, perhaps, but a whelpling none the less.

"Uh... Louie?  I's got a question."

Lorilune sighed.  She had repeated the plan dozens of times in the past hour.

"Is it about the plan?"

BigToof nodded.

"Do you remember the plan?"

BigToof nodded.  Then paused and shook his head no.

Lorilune held her throbbing temples.

"Right, it's simple.  Wingnut will handle the LEFT flank.  It is your job to stay with the Lootas in your Battlewagon and advance up the RIGHT flank.  Stay IN the vehicle and do not touch ANYTHING."

BigToof nodded again, bouncing up and down with glee.

Lorilune sighed and went back to trying to see through the haze.  She glanced back at the Fire Dragons that she had somehow managed to acquire through a combination of bribery, lies and well... more bribery.  None of them seemed happy about working with the Orks, but Lorilune had told them that the fight would be short and they would be well compensated.  All she had to do was just hope that...

"Louie?"

Lorilune held her head, not daring to look up for fear that the frustration alone would make her head explode.

"Wot's da plan again?"

------------------------

Turn 1: Orkz
-------------
Lucky da Lobba Grot didn't think too much about life.  Things were alright being on cookin' duty, mostly as Orks weren't too picky about what they were eatin'.  It was just his luck though, that he was near some other Grotz that done somethin' to make some of the Nobz mad.  Probably that they had gotten some fightin' Squigs mixed up with the eatin' Squigs.  When the limbs stoped flyin', all of the other Grotz were rounded up and put on Big Gunz duty. 

Lucky didn't like it at all.  It was loud, and chances of getting killed was pretty good.  But, then, by total chance (and not at all with sabotaging all of the kannons available), the Grotz were assigned to Lobba duty.  Lobba duty was pretty good, as you got to hide behind something and then shoot your shell up and over.  Somebody else came and yelled at you if you missed.  Either way, you never got shot at. 

Sometimes he wondered if all the Lobbin' really made a difference, but he figured not that much.  After all, he was a Grot.  What could he amount to in life? 

Pulling the shootin' lever, he sent another shell high up into the air.  He hoped it would hit something so he wouldn't have to move the gun.
-----------------

Spiritseer Moradin was one of the most talented seers of his age.  Since his youth, he was exalted due to his ability to communicate with the Wraithguard and Wraithlords, and considered guiding them to be his utmost of important duties.  Over the ages, he had grown in renown, fame, and enjoyed, in his own stoic way, the status rightly earned over the other Seers.  Even the battle in front of him would be just a moment amongst an eternity of victories.  Yes, he thought, everything was going just as planned...

Then, a whistling brought his attention skyward, and he had just a moment to move before an awkwardly made, but highly explosive shell landed directly on his head, splattering him across the Wraithguard.  If the Wraithguard cared, they made no sound or motion to mourn his passing.

And that was the end of Spiritseer Moradin.
----------------

I'm amazed that my opponent has actually put things on the left flank, but who am I to argue?

I zoom up the MANZ Trukk and the Deffkoptas with Wingnut right into the grill of the Tau forces.  BigToof passes his test and the Battlewagon moves up a good distance as well.  Lorilune does the same, following out of LoS.

In shooting, I decide to try the Lobbas, and put the small blast template on the head of the Shadowseer.  It hits with only a bit of deviation, and then after both templates hit, two wounds go on the Seer, who goes down!  Wow... Lobbas are actually pretty good.
The Fire Dragons, not to be outdone, fire at the right-most Devilfish.  I'm a bit amazed when I get an immobilzation and a glance!  My opponent interjects to tell me that he gets a 2+ cover roll, but I tell him about Fire Dragon Exarchs...

Picture Caption: I must say Lobbas, I am impressed.  Not a lot, but good enough.  Fire Dragons, you too.

Turn 1: Tau
------------
Farseer Illandara scowled, wiping the remains of her Spiritseer off her helmet.

"Do you have any concerns regarding the battle capabilities of your opponent now?" she sneered at Shas'El Vas'ryn.

Vas'ryn shook his head.  Then, a blinking light caught his attention and he brought up a new battlefield report.  Some of his units had reported seeing aliens amongst the Orks that bore a suspicious resemblance to the Oracle.  Perhaps there was more to this conflict than it appeared.  But that would have to wait.

"XV8-Theta and Gamma, we have Orks coming in on your position.  Prepare for Mont'ka."

His Warriors performed elegant maneuvers, leaving the Orks flatfooted moments before firepower rained into them.  Screams of confusion and anger wafted through the air and Vas'ryn nodded.  Perhaps the day would be over soon enough.
------------

Fortune goes off on the Wraithguard, but Guide perils.  My opponent starts to worry that he might blow up his Farseer before the games' end.

The operational Devilfish decides to get out of there, activating their thrusters and safely getting behind the ADL.  The Suits jump out of cover.  Oh, that was... a trap, wasn't it?  The Fire Warriors from the disabled Devilfish get out.  Hmm... This could hurt.

The Broadsides fire into the Battlewagon, but only manage to get a hull point off the beast.  The Farseer fires her Lascannon into the Battlewagon, but it can't do more than shave off the Big Shoota!

And... on the other flank I get Mont'ka'd in the face!

The Suits blow up the MANZ wagon, and I kareen... backwards, far, far away from anything useful, depositing the MANZ into some trees.  The other suits and Fire Warriors hammer into the Deffkoptas, and I lose one and get a wound on another one.  Wingnut rolls for his morale and gets an 8.  Wow.  Uh... I think we need a better plan.

Picture Caption: I got Mont'ka'd and all I got was this lousy T-shirt...

Turn 2: Orkz
------------
Lorilune frowned.  The left flank had become a mess, mostly thanks to the Tau and Wingnut's ineptitude.  But, she thought, you get what you pay for.

All she had to do was keep the right flank mobile and laying down firepower.  The Orks and the Fire Dragons would eventually whittle away all resistance and then a final...

"Oo!  I want dat!  'Ey, youz guys!  Let's get dat big thingy up there!"

Lorilune turned pale as she looked up to see BigToof jumping off the Battlewagon with the Lootas in tow, clearly aiming for the Wraithlord.

"No!" she screamed, "You idiot!  Stay in your vehicle!  I... I..."

But BigToof was already out of hearing distance, humming to himself as he smashed through the battlefield.  There were some smaller guys in front of the big shiny thing, but it wouldn't be that hard to push them away.  He hoped Louie wouldn't mind.  Maybe this would turn out to be part of the plan after all!
--------------

The Dakkajet becomes available.

All you Eldar fans!  Look careful:
Here's where the trickery comes in.  I get off Terrify through the Wards on the Wraithguard.  They, of course, make their Ld roll to not run.  I try to pop a Psychic Scream, but fail due to Runes.

I move up and deposit BigToof and the Lootas about 6" away from the front line.
The Dakkajet comes in, gets shot in the engines and is immobilized.  Could have been worse, I suppose.

I move the Deffkoptas and Wingnut up to threaten the center.

Then, I sound the WAARGH!

The Lobbas again continue with their MVP status and drop bombs on the Fire Warriors, downing three.  The Fire Warriors then run.

The Fire Dragons continue to astound me, and shoot through the ADL, Wraithguard, Wraithlord and somehow hit the Devilfish with a pen.  I roll for it and it comes up a six.  My opponent stops the game, checks the dice, and tells me that it has to stay out, as it's just too jammy :)  I oblige.

The Dakkajet shoots at the Wraithlord, who takes just a couple of wounds, as it turns out he's T8 (?!)

Then come assaults.

I assault in Wingnut and the Koptas.  The Koptas jink away from the one overwatch shot, and get stuck in, doing nothing to the suits, but Wingnut multi-assaulted the next door Fish, wrecking it.

Then the BIGGER assault.  I decide to throw in 'Toof against the Broadsides AND the Wraithguard.

I get shot at with a totally inappropriate amount of shots, but somehow the big galoot gets hit with ZERO overwatch.  ZERO.  I'm a bit stunned given all the Tau twin-linked whats-it, but let it slide.

I challenge with 'Toof, but nobody accepts, so I tell him the Farseer has to sit out.  The Wraithguard down a Loota, as most can't get into combat, but 'Toof and the Lootas then go up and murder both of the Broadsides and their Drone!  I tell my opponent he has to make a pretty tough morale check, but he laughs and tells me that Wraithguard are fearless.  I show him what Terrify does.

So... the Wraithguard run.  They roll a 2.  'Toof?  He pulls a 6 out.

Picture Caption: Yeah... that was... brutal.

Turn 2: Tau
------------
Wraithlord Nalissa turned her head up as the huge Ork slammed into and through the Wraithguard in front of her.  She stepped forward as the Ork ran over Farseer Illandara, who was trying to get out of the way.  As the Farseer fell, she felt her vision start to fade.  Things suddenly became much, much harder to see.  Time was of the essence.  She stumbled forward, shooting gouts of flame at the Orks and then swung at the large Ork with all of her might.  She just hoped that it would be enough.
-------------

BigToof was beside himself as the huge shiny thing started to walk towards him.  Maybe it wanted to play as well!  He laughed as it shot flamey-hot stuff at him.  The Lootas behind him let off howls, but that was alright.  Lootas were always scared of lots of stuff.

He waved politely as the huge creature scooped him up and smashed a huge fist into his face.  Luckily, it was the not-Ork side, and only some gubbinz got broke.

It did want to play!  'Toof laughed, swinging a hand up to his new friend's head and then gasped as he realized that the right hand was the hand with the Power Klaw.  The Klaw went right into the large shiney's head and it fell down.  'Toof tried to keep his balance, but it was a no-go, and he fell right over.  Hopefully the Lootas would come over and pick him up soon.

----------------------

It's almost all over but the swinging, so my opponent tells me he just wants to assault with his Wraithlord and kill my Warboss.

I nod.  It's a fair trade.  The Wraithlord shoots his flamers, bathing the Orks... and 'Toof absorbs pretty much all the wounds.   He then assaults in, going simultaneous thanks to the ADL.  I then challenge the Wraithlord.  He, of course, has to accept. The Wraithlord does get a decent wound down.  I 'm sweating it a bit, and then roll a 1.  Sad face.  Then I realize that I have at least five Orks cheering me on.  The re-roll?  A 5!

'Toof then hits with his necessary two hits to remove the last of the wounds on the Wraithlord and the Tau concede.

Picture Caption: Man... Wraithlord's scary if I didn't have 'Toof!  Wait... Did I just say that?

---------------

Post-Game Thoughts: Yeah... this one was over fast.  Sorry if I built it up as something more  :)

So, after the game, my opponent was going over what he should have done different, and the big thing that hit us is that he SHOULD have accepted 'Toof's challenge with the Broadside Shas'ui.  It would have made the roll a lot closer, although still scary, given that the Lootas did give the Tau suits a good number of wounds.  But, I digress.
As I've made a lot of changes, here's my unit rundown:

BigToof and Lootas: Wow.  Just... Wow.  I like 'em.  'Toof especially was epic with his assault that destroyed... basically everything.  A lot of things could have gone wrong, but the Wagon is a LOT tougher than I had given it credit for.  And I don't know how trees give it 5+ save, but I'll take it!

Wingnut and Deffkoptas: They were... ok.  Ran into a suit and absorbed a lot of firepower, but I could see things going very bad for them.  Not sure if I'll run them again as they aren't cheap.  Maybe I just should run them with a Warboss instead.

MANZ: Ugh.  Ramshackled wrong and did NOTHING the whole game.  At least they absorbed some shots that could have been thrown at the Deffkoptas.

Shootas: They held the objective and didn't do much else.  Maybe I should get them Big Shootas next time?

Dakkajet: Solid Dakka.  Who can ask for more?

Lobbas: Who knew these little guys were so amazing?  I know it was against Tau and Eldar, which seem to be their preferred targets, but wow.  Seriously, for their points, everyone should take at least two, if not three.  I think I'm adding another one.

Lorilune and GJB: Lorilune's Terrify set it all up.  Great unit still and her Runes make everyone worry.

Fire Dragons: My.  God.  Full of stars.  The ability to ignore all that nonsense of 3+/2+ saves and just hit whatever you can see makes them glorious.  Just... wow.  I only wish they weren't desperate allies...

-------------

Farseer Illandara moaned.  It felt like a large Ork had trodden on her.  She blinked. 
Probably because a large Ork HAD stepped on her.  Luckily her armor had taken the brunt of it, and was barely functioning.  She heard a polite cough, and struggled to sit up.
Sitting on her Jetbike, with a look of complete satisfaction, was Farseer Lorilune.

"So, Illandara, I take it all this means that I've won?  Yes, I think so.  So, let's have another meeting, say on a fashionable part of your Craftword?  I'd love to get freshened up properly before meeting with your Seer Council."

Illandara frowned, then smirked and laughed.

Lorilune's smile turned into a frown, "Why are you laughing?"

Illandara staggered to her feet, "Oh, you really think I was serious about any of this?"

Pointing a finger at her, Lorilune scowled, "You cannot renege out of a verbal contract made between two Farseers of..."

Illandara waved her away, "Oh, really?  That's what you thought?  You're not a Farseer, the last I checked."

Lorilune felt her heart drop into her chest, "Wh... What?  But, you... you gave me the stone and..."

Illandara felt her smirk settle onto her face, "Yes, the stone.  An... experiment.  To see what it would do.  I had hoped that it would kill you.  Sadly, it did not.  It gave you something approximating our powers, but you are not one of us."

Lorilune snarled, "But, but, then... why all of this?"

Illandara snorted, "Cleaning up my own mess.  I made you and it was decided that it was my job to get rid of you.  Sadly enough, it appears that I've failed.  So go ahead, you pathetic little abomination.  Kill me, just like your Ork brethren would.  Go ahead and send another one of the Eldar to an unfitting end."

Lorilune felt her eyebrows knit, and then paused, contemplating for a few moments before settling down onto her bike.

"No, no, Illandara, I don't think so.  That would be too easy.  I'm going to leave you here.  Alone, without help.  Your Tau allies would have figured out what you've been doing, and if not... well... I'll help them with their little investigation.  My Fire Dragons will destroy your Webway portals, and I will make sure, one way or another, that nothing comes to your aid.  But, I don't think anything will.  After all, one thing that WE Eldar hate, is a failure.  Goodbye, Illandara.  I look forward to finding your dried-out corpse."

Illandara barked out a few obscenities in Lorilune's direction, but the Farseer and the Orks quickly made off.  When they were far enough away, Lorilune allowed herself to put her head against her bike, quietly sobbing.  It was lies.  It had to be lies.  Otherwise, everything she had done and thought would be for naught...
BigToof Points:

Rej

Finally got around to reading this! It was a good read, and you pulled out a nice, if a bit quick, victory! Well done! I'm keen to see where Lorilune's storyline goes!
Phew...

BigToof

Thank you Rej!
I was really worried when nobody was replying, but I'm glad that you liked the fluff and the battle.
I'm actually planning on doing a rematch, so it should be a lot of fun and the fluff will keep going!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Chicop76

After reading this I have flash backs of The Goonies. Hey you guys. Anyway sounds like you wiped them good. It wouldn't be a bad ideal to put a warboss on a bike now since it will make him toughness 6 and getting hit with a Wraithlord would not instant kill him.

How did the devilfish get a +2 save. I admit I am a bit lost wth that.

Fhanados

Man you turned your opponent into a fine red mist pretty damn quickly!

I like this rivalry between the two Farseers. Do you have any other batreps with them in it? I'm not familiar with either of them. Bigtoof made a hilarious warboss too!

The Man They Call Jayne

Quote from: Chicop76 on December 14, 2012, 03:06:27 AM
After reading this I have flash backs of The Goonies. Hey you guys. Anyway sounds like you wiped them good. It wouldn't be a bad ideal to put a warboss on a bike now since it will make him toughness 6 and getting hit with a Wraithlord would not instant kill him.

If its in terrain it gets a 4+, boosted to 2+ by Disruption Pods. It gets a 3+ just for moving around.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Chicop76

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 14, 2012, 09:59:47 AM
Quote from: Chicop76 on December 14, 2012, 03:06:27 AM

If its in terrain it gets a 4+, boosted to 2+ by Disruption Pods. It gets a 3+ just for moving around.

I see the shrounding in the FAQ. That is what I would call broken, that is why I run so many flamers. Anyway if it jinks I can see the +2 save and +3 if it is hidng hehind terrain, but if it is moving normally shouldn't have a +5 save.

I wish I have my 3 forge world pirannas and regret selling them. I guess I can get the gw ones now. Anyone for seeker missles up the butt. Man I'm going to run my piranna's with 2 missles and a melta now. Get behind a vehicle with a 2+ and start marker lighting. Thinking about it more I really do not need the fusion as much as I thought.

Now I can see why the debate on the dischargers. If you're getting a 2+ than you will get assaulted more. Anyway I may take only one devilfish since Tau can move and shoot now with a treat range of 36". Hmmmm

Cammerz

Finally finished my coursework and exam, now I can get around to reading this. And its in no way a disappointment, the length doesn't bother me because unlike that DE vs Zombies report, this one gives us a decent chunk of very nice fluff.

<Checks Eldar codex for Fire Dragon exarch entry> Nice, that certainly does hurt Tau vehicles, if i were facing your list after discovering that then they'd be a very high priority target for me. If you fancy doing an Eldar/Tau list then they're probably a solid option, but in this list they're unbelieveable and you should keep them around.

The lobbas certainly had a decent game here as well, although if you were fighting anything with a 3+ save or had a solid number of flyers then they might not do so well, I'd say they're a very situational unit but this was that situation.

The fluff at the end with the Farseers, (or is that just Farseer now?) was very good and I'm looking forward to seeing how Lorilune takes this. Anyway, what's going to happen with your namesake? Will he return to the dread or have we just seen a major plot advancement for him? In case I wasn't being blantently obvious, I'm a big fan of fluff, my Dark heresy GM told us at the weekend to tell him what our characters are doing over the course of a gap year and I'm 14,000 words in so far.

But my uni term has finished now so whatever the next report is, I'll be able to respond much faster than with this one. I'm looking forward to it.

Job's a good un!

Chicop76

The Dark Reaper Exarch does the same thing and can deny cover. Man I miss my Eldar. Even with a nerf down codex they still kick butt.