News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

NOOO!!!!! (Just read the 6th ed.)

Started by Waaaghpower, December 11, 2012, 02:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

After being out of the game for a while, I finally bought and read the sixth edition rulebook and... It kind of sucks for Orks. A lot.
There are a few benefits, (Fearless no longer kicks ork horde butt, for example,) but the new way wound allocation works, the nerfing of Fleet and Furious Charge, and a couple other changes essentially remove our biggest source of power.
With the new rules, ork hordes now cannot take out vehicles or monstrous creatures with any consistency. Either you put the Power Fist at the very back (And he still might die because of a precision shot) and he can't hit for a turn until he fights his way into combat, or else you put him at the front and watch him get blown away at the first sign of shooting. Not to mention, with the wound allocation killing those in front, it'll take an extra turn of movement to get into combat (BAD!)
Snap shots don't seem like a huge deal, though it will be annoying against shooty armies (Suddenly, even the worst CC armies can still blow orks away before we get to hit,) but it still is another problem in general because it mildly helps most other armies and provides no benefits to orks.
My biggest problem is the huge nerf to the Flat Out rule. Without the 3+ cover save after moving flat out, Deffkoptas are now far too fragile and expensive to be worth their points.

Oh, also: The weaker power weapons suck since we now have 2 less ways to deal with terminators. I realize it'll hurt a lot of armies, but seeing as Orks already have just 6 weapons capable of tearing through AP2, reducing that number to 4 is a pretty big deal.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Chicop76

1. Nob Bikers are better in a way. I ran into tis with my multi wound models. The models closest to the shooting unit takes the wounds, so sadly you can rotate your one wounded guys for fresh non wounded guys to keep as many models on the board as possible. The good news is you do not have to make each one differant now while you pretty much do nearly the samething you did in 5th. Also str 8 does not instant kill them since they count qas being tougness 5. Hmmm makes a Warboss be able to not be instant killed to a Tau Rail gun now.

Wall of flamers is broken. If you have your 10 man flame orks and I try to assault them that is 10-30 instant hits with the str and ap of the flamer. On average that is 20 auto hits which is easilt 10 wounds to toughness 4 models. They can even do so when they are inside an open topped vehicle.

With the presice shot that Nob with the claw is a character and one of dem boys can take the hit for him at a +4 roll.

Also how combat works now it benefits the orks more. When you hit your initiative order you can move your guys up to fill in the gaps. This works better for you due to them moving closer to you twice. If they not in base when they make their assault move, they are more likely to be in base when they my their int step move. I noticed mobs have been getting more models in combat than before. Especailly high inititiave models who assault which get their assault move and move again in intitiative order for 2 moves.

With the bikes and copters I will have to read the Orc FAQ. They still get a +4 jink save which helps them. Your force field gen is a +5 save now, Amen to that. A lot of models got hit hard with the cover saves. While some like the Deathleaper have a +3 cover save, also Harlequins get the same deal.

Overwatch is not a big deal unless they have a lot of flamers or roll really good. I mean like 12 Tau on Over Watch will only hit 4 times on average and kill 3 orks. I really doubt those 3 orks was the deciding factor in that fight. Opposing to assaulting 9 Flamers of Tzeentch which on average will kill 9 one wound modelson average with no invulnerable saves

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

You should have a look at my Ork Tactica on Overwatch for some tips. Hopefully this helps you out a bit waaaghpower.

Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Deraj

One other huge thing is orks vs armor 10. All they need to do is glance it 3 times to break any vehicle, which is pretty funny. Not to mention orks on overwatch are barely worse shooters than orks as normal.

BigToof

Orks are... different in this edition.
Horde Orks are much harder to play and assault in general took a hit, but Shooty Orks are MUCH better.
Units that got a lot better off the top of my head:

1.  Boyz
No more fearless wounds means that yes, we can break Terminators, Genestealers and all that rot without worrying about slow attrition.  30 boyz is just that good of a tarpit now.  Give them all shootas and you're pretty good to go.

2.  Overwatch isn't all that much different from regular shooting
As Orks are BS2, BS1 snap shots/overwatch actually is pretty good.  We get half our normal hits for free?  Sign me up!

3.  Dakkajets are great!
We actually get a legitimate flyer that does hordes of damage.  Not that pricey either.

4.  We have a great barrage weapon.
As I've found out in my most recent game (see WAARGH! Grumgutz vs. Tau/Eldar), Lobbas are amazing.
Now they are T7 (including the grots!) and can pick out upgrade characters pretty easily.  Just amazing.

5.  MANZ fix a lot of problems
You bemoan the whole AP3 weapons.  That's fine really, as we have MANZ and Mega-Armor bosses to laugh at Power Weapons now.  You can even have MANZ roll-up Mephiston and put him in his beakie box quicker than anything.

6.  Grotz
Grotz can now be used with Gun emplacements, which means that we actually have fairly accurate BS3 weapons!

7.  A lot of Ork destroying units got weaker
The bane of my existence, Grey Knight Purifiers, are gone.  It's like we had some kind of meteor from orbit that killed them all off.  Draigowing?  Not there anymore thanks to Daemons and Necrons.

8.  Allies are great
Ever want some Eldar help?  Tau Railguns?  IG tanks?  Now you can.

So in other words, the world isn't over, it's just... different.

Play a few games and see what it's like.

You're in the "sky is falling" mode a lot of us were in.  It's been about... six months, and now I must say...  I kind of like 6th better...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Arguleon-veq

I actually think they got a fair bit better. All you really have to do is take shootas instead.

As has been said, Nob Bikers got better and despite the nerf to them being characters they are still an amazing unit now that they are so much harder to instant kill.

We now have one of the best shooty unit in the game in Lootas. They glance anything short of AV14 to death with ease and they are even great at taking out flyers with that many shots.

Dakkajets are great especially with Warpheads to try and get a Waaagh every turn for a horrendous amount of shots.

Plus they are still good in combat when it actually comes to it.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Waaaghpower

Okay, reading a bit more and thinking about it the nerfs aren't so bad. (I still despise how they ruined Deffkoptas, but that can be forgiven.) My strategies will require some fixing, but I can manage that.
Two questions:
Chicop76, where does it say that Deffkoptas get the Jink save? I don't see them getting that rule anywhere.
And,
What are Dakkajets? I've been out of the loop apparently, so I have no idea what they are.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

BigToof

The main rulebook has rules for Jink and both the bike and jetbike sections get them.  The "useless" USR of hit and run they have actually is pretty good in this edition, as you can use the highest I value when determining if you can get out of combat.  Attach a Warbike-Boss and well... you can do your best Harlequin impression :)

Dakkajets are one of three new Ork flyers that came out.  The other two are mediocre, but the Dakkajet has 3 twin-linked S6 weapons that it can fire TWICE on the turn your army uses it's WAARGH!
I particularly like them as it's basically two loota squad's worth of power, for about the same price.

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Good to have you back, btw!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3