News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The NEW 1st Auric Battalion vs. Sisters/GK in "A New Beginning!" (1500, 12/16)

Started by BigToof, December 16, 2012, 08:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

The NEW 1st Auric Battalion vs. Sisters/GK in "A New Beginning!" (1500)

Hi All,
Yes, it's finally here.  Totally revamped rep, no Vasily, no Tems, no Katya.

Indeed, it's pretty new with some old faces, new faces and a pretty awesome battle (no, it doesn't end after turn 2).

As I'm kind of feeling things out, there's a lot of similarity to my previous lists, the only real difference is that I've gone to get more boots and less tanks.  As in no tanks.

And my opponent is... Sisters!  (yay!)

With GK backup.  (boo!)

I sort of went in a bit (incredibly so) overconfident, as the Sisters Codex is anything but overpowered.  But there's still some nasty combos that I didn't know about.

Until they were shoved up my rectal cavity that is (ow).  And then lit on fire (owx2).

So, yes, it's not a kind, gentle initiation to the 1st Auric, but then again, what good battle is?

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Comments, Critiques, Estimations of all sorts (I'd love to hear if anyone knows how this Sister list ran just by looking at it, as I was totally flabbergasted) are greatly appreciated!  Oh, and there's fluff too!

------------
The Lists
------------
The NEW 1st Auric Battalion (1500): 88 Infantry, 1 Fort; 11VPs
1st Auric Battalion
-Commander Baron von Oberheim (CCS w/MoO, Carapace, PF, Standard, Meltagunsx2)
-The Mordheim Cuckoos (Psykersx8 w/Overseer Madame Raege)
-Prince Tauros and the Beastlords (Stormtroopersx5 w/Meltasx2, Sgt w/Power Axe)
-Lt. Alexander Chenkov w/Flamersx4
-Infantry Platoon w/Lascannon w/Meltagun
-Infantry Platoon w/Lascannon w/Meltagun
-Lt. Grigori Chenkov w/Flamersx4
-Infantry Platoon w/Lascannon w/Flamer
-Infantry Platoon w/Lascannon w/Flamer
-The Steel-Beast Killers (Rough Ridersx7 w/Flamersx2, MB Sgt. Lady Tomoe Saigo)
Tau'n Justice Squad
-Shas'O Sha'shera w/Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, IA, TL, MT, BSF, Shield, Stims
-Crisis Suitsx2 w/PR, FB, TL, MT
-Fire Warriorsx6
-Broadsidesx2 w/Shas'Ui, BSF, MT
Ageis Defense Line w/Quadgun

Sisters and GK (1500): 40 Infantry, 2 Vehicles, 1 MC, 1 Fort; 10 VPs
-St. Celestine
-Battle Sistersx10 w/Melta, Multi-Melta
-Battle Sistersx10 w/Melta, Multi-Melta
-Seraphimx8 w/Hand Flamersx2
-Retributorsx7 w/Heavy Boltersx4
-Exorcist w/Searchlight
-Exorcist
-Bastion w/Quadgun
GK Backup
-Coteaz
-Servitorsx3 w/Plasma Cannons
-Dreadknight w/Heavy Incinerator, Teleporter

------------------------

--------------------------
Chapter 1: A New Beginning
--------------------------

Baron von Oberheim drummed his fingers against the table in front of him.  The daily meeting with his second-in-commands were begging to become more bothersome than usual. 
And that was certainly saying something.

He glanced over at the young man still talking.

"So it's pretty much the same as yesterday then?" interrupted the Baron.

The Lieutenant nodded, "Oh... yes, sir.  Indeed!"

The younger man paused for a few moments.

"Am I to continue..."

"No, no that's certainly sufficient, Lieutenant Gregory."

The man perked up a bit, "Pardon your grace, but I am Alexander."

Alexander poked his dozing, more hirsute and burly companion next to him.

"This is Gregori, sir.  My brother."

The Baron rolled his eyes, "Yes, yes, fine."

It was taking most of mental effort to deal with being stuck with the Vallhallan Chenkov brothers.  Related to some Commander of some sort, they were fresh out of the Academy, given stripes and command and then thrust upon him like some kind of fetid disease.  They were equally aggravating. 

The slighter one, Alexander, had a kind of strange kind of enthusiasm that seemed unfortunately untreatable.  But at least he talked.  The burly, smelly one, Gregori, apparently couldn't or wouldn't talk, but communicated by some kind of gestures, half of which the Baron was sure were rude and intolerable.  But, he could never quite prove...

"Is it onto the important business then?"

The barely female screech turned the Baron back to the side of the table that he had been trying to avoid.

The enormous, over-dressed, over-made-up form of Madame Raege was sipping on something rancid looking from what passed for a high glass.  The baron mentally snorted.  The woman wouldn't know class if it hit her from behind and somehow escaped the death tremor.

"Baron von Oberheim, you know that once again, my Daughters, all eight of them, are past their 20th Terran year!"

The Baron gritted his teeth and hoped for a sudden aneurysm.  No such luck.

"As you have mentioned at EVERY meeting since we have been in the void, Miss Raege."

"MAD-AME!" corrected the large woman, "I didn't go and marry up the scale for nothing!  Now I have perfectly eight of the highest quality, eligible socialites, all of which have the finest training available."

"And all psykers."

"Be-SIDES, the point," she snorted, "I mean, I was hoping that I'd be able to marry off one by one, but given the lack of timing... I suppose I'd be willing to use the Mordheim Special."

The Baron bit his lip.  He was not going to ask.  Any questions would continue the conversation and...

"Begging every great one's pardon, but, what is the Mordheim Special?"

The Baron flared his nostrils and threw a death glare at Lieutenant Alexander, who looked surprised, and turned behind him as if looking for some kind of spectre that had snuck into the room.

Without any hope of ending the conversation on a polite note, the Baron nodded.

"Yes, well," continued Mme. Raege, "The Mordheim Special is for those girls who are a group mind, like my girls.  Not the first time, it's ever happend, don't you know.  So, Mordheim law says that you can package them all up as one girl, and then... boom!  Lucky husband.  Eight for one."

The Baron ground his teeth.  Having one woman in his life would be unnecessary.  Eight would be something resembling suicide.  There was a slight screech of wood, and he threw a sideways glance at the other Chenkov brother that had woke up and was signing something to his brother.  They nodded conspiritorially, and then began to work on each other's outfit and hair.

By the Throne, thought the Baron, not more of this tomfoolery.

"Of course, your Grace," continued Mme. Raege, "Can't be any old sort.  Would have to pass the credit checks and what not.  Of course a SENIOR officer's salary would do fine."

She turned a spiteful glare at the two hopeful looking brothers.

"Juniors aren't enough.  Barely enough pension for one girl to get her hair done.  Much less eight!"

The brothers sighed, looked downtrodden and began to return to their somewhat normal states of full attention and obvious snoozing.

The Baron wiped his face with his palm, hoping to make the conversation end faster.  How much longer would they be stuck in the Warp?
-------------

"What do you mean, we're delayed?!"

Baron von Oberheim took an imperious step towards Captain Washbourne of the Imperial Navy.  The younger Captain took a step back, looking to his bodyguards, who clearly were going to wait for the Baron to tire himself out beating on their superior before stepping in.

"No, no, Lord Oberheim.  I..."

"BARON von Oberhiem."

"I... yes, Baron.  It's just that our destination is obscured by a Warp Storm.  Totally unexpected.  We can't just rush in.  The possibilities are nearly endless about..."

The Baron took another step closer until he was eye to eye with the Captain, "Well, let me tell you about possibilities, CAPTAIN.  There is a FULL battalion of trained, armed and very, VERY aggravated troops on board.  Including MYSELF.  You should consider that when figuring out if you should grow a spine and press on, or risk a more certain fate."

The Captain nodded, backing up and nodding to his Navigators.  He wished he hadn't lost those last three space battles.  They weren't really his fault.  And then being stuck with the famously destructive 1st Auric just seemed to seal his fate.  What more could the universe possible do to him?

---------------

A quintet of hooded figures checked their distress beacon again.  It was broadcasting in all languages, still strong after all this time.  Their leader looked to the sky, but there was no sign of intervention.  The intruders were on their planet, and he had to hope, beyond hope, that the Saint himself would send a miracle to them.  Otherwise, the darkness or the invaders would take them.  And then all would be lost.

------------------------
Pre-Game Thoughts: Ok, good news, I'm fighting Sisters.  Bad news, there's a Dreadknight!  I suspect there will be shenanigans as well, as there are two named character HQs and well...  The list is weird.  Why SEVEN Rets?  I mean, everyone always takes 5.

Also, that's a lot of Seraphim that will cause trouble, but it's all one bad deep strike away from going away.  I'm not too worried.

The Exorcists really don't have great, great targets, as my Tau suits are not starting on the table (except the Broadsides, but y'know, we have MUCH better range).

It's sort of good that I have this kind of lukewarm list to try against my new IG.  I've taken out the Lord Commissar and put in two Infantry platoons (20 GM each), and also I've upgraded to a Shas'O.  Who is beefy and makes me feel good! (and was not totally just leftover points that I didn't have models for... really!).

So, I think if I CAN get first turn, I can get a good alpha and do some serious damage.  Then it should be all downhill from there...
------------------------

Setup: Dawn of War (Night Fight OFF)
Mission: Emperor's Will (2 Objectives)
Warlord: Baron: Re-roll all reserves, St. Celestine: Legendary Fighter (!)

Picture Caption: You know... that's not a lot of girls.  I have a good feeling about this one!

To Be Continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

I'm liking the fact that the Baron has taken control. The new characters seem different, which is usually a good thing, we'll see how they turn out.
Your army list is looking interesting, I'm happy to see Rough Riders back in there and this Prince Tauros sounds like he's a character that the Baron might have trouble with. As for the Shas'O, they're always worth spending the extra points on, better BS, Attacks and Wounds.
I also like how the Baron has a powerfist now, nothing to with with game reasons, I just think his character deserves something like that, the sword was cool but he's a serious authority figure now.

As for your opponent, the extra retributors are probably just ablative armour (I've got a Chaos Havoc squad with seven guys for that reason, you don't want to be losing the heavy weapons right from the off). Given the game where you used seraphim, I think you're in trouble from these ones, you don't exactly have a lot of armour on those platoons, take them out fast.
A teleporting dreadknight. Someone really needs to get one of those old metal Deff Dreads, put one in a sock and pay a visit to Mat Ward.

Rej

Looking good, Looking very good. Got to agree with Cammerz, a powerfist is sweet. I'm interested in seeing the fluff for the Prince and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the battle goes, should be a riot.
Phew...

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on December 16, 2012, 11:46:46 PM
I'm liking the fact that the Baron has taken control. The new characters seem different, which is usually a good thing, we'll see how they turn out.
Your army list is looking interesting, I'm happy to see Rough Riders back in there and this Prince Tauros sounds like he's a character that the Baron might have trouble with. As for the Shas'O, they're always worth spending the extra points on, better BS, Attacks and Wounds.
I also like how the Baron has a powerfist now, nothing to with with game reasons, I just think his character deserves something like that, the sword was cool but he's a serious authority figure now.

As for your opponent, the extra retributors are probably just ablative armour (I've got a Chaos Havoc squad with seven guys for that reason, you don't want to be losing the heavy weapons right from the off). Given the game where you used seraphim, I think you're in trouble from these ones, you don't exactly have a lot of armour on those platoons, take them out fast.
A teleporting dreadknight. Someone really needs to get one of those old metal Deff Dreads, put one in a sock and pay a visit to Mat Ward.

Hi Cammerz,
Haha, yes Dread-socking Mat Ward may be needed in more ways than one, although, I suppose I'll have to hold judgement until the Dark Angels Codex comes out.
Now if that is cheez-filled, I'll have lost all hope.
For some reason, my dichotomy with Ward is this:
A) He makes GW a lot of money.
Seriously, he writes a book, it sells.  The models he pushes sell as they are grossly overpowered and of course pretty. 

B) He's getting better
His writing (even if does make me at a loss for words...) does set a direction and I hope is sort of toning down.  Compare Ultramarines (I mean, the SM Codex) to GK, then to Necrons. 

There's hope for the man, and nobody can push out models like he can, so I can't see GW slotting him anytime soon.

THAT said, I'm glad you like how Baron and the others are shaping up.  I'll be having fluff with Tauros, the Tau and Coteaz/Sisters out with the battle.  I just hope it won't be too long... (trying to break it up so that people won't go tl;dr )

Quote from: Rej on December 17, 2012, 02:10:57 AM
Looking good, Looking very good. Got to agree with Cammerz, a powerfist is sweet. I'm interested in seeing the fluff for the Prince and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the battle goes, should be a riot.

Thanks Rej,
The Powerfist actually comes in really handy.  I never put it on Vasily, as he was never, ever going to be a counter attack kind of possibility, but the Baron plays more forcefully and... I kind of like it.
And the battle was a riot.  In more ways than one...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Chicop76

That is a lot of melta, although sisters always have a lot of melta.

Can see cortez and the fortification combo to shoot flyers that come on the board near his position.

The dreadknight has received a big boost in 6th. Funny thing is I give mine the 25 point sword and I wonder if th sister player knows the sword got FAQed, probably not since he is not using it. The teleporter allow him to flame within 36" if I remember right. Also it give it mobility. I would take the upgrade myself if it turn the dreadknight into a flying MC or if I could give it scout.

Off hand I want to see how St. Celestine and the serepham perform. They on papaer seem to be a good unit which if I remember right can re roll to wound and have a re rollable 6 invulnerable save. St. Celestine with re rolling to wound can do some damage. My luck though she never come back.

The retributers if I can remember correctly can rend so those heavy bolter shots can do some dagame.

That sister army seems very anti vehicle, or MC with a splash of anti-infantry. No rhinos for the sisters however seems to hurt that list in my opinion.

BigToof

Quote from: Chicop76 on December 17, 2012, 08:18:45 PM

Can see cortez and the fortification combo to shoot flyers that come on the board near his position.

The dreadknight has received a big boost in 6th. Funny thing is I give mine the 25 point sword and I wonder if th sister player knows the sword got FAQed, probably not since he is not using it. The teleporter allow him to flame within 36" if I remember right. Also it give it mobility. I would take the upgrade myself if it turn the dreadknight into a flying MC or if I could give it scout.

Off hand I want to see how St. Celestine and the serepham perform. They on papaer seem to be a good unit which if I remember right can re roll to wound and have a re rollable 6 invulnerable save. St. Celestine with re rolling to wound can do some damage. My luck though she never come back.

The retributers if I can remember correctly can rend so those heavy bolter shots can do some dagame.

That sister army seems very anti vehicle, or MC with a splash of anti-infantry. No rhinos for the sisters however seems to hurt that list in my opinion.

Hi Chicop,
You are spot on that they are pretty much anti-elite and marine in terms of their melta and exorcists, but those flamers and heavy bolters...  Not to be underestimated.

I know I did and well...  won't do so again!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Chicop76

Quote from: BigToof on December 18, 2012, 02:18:15 PM
Quote from: Chicop76 on December 17, 2012, 08:18:45 PM

Hi Chicop,
You are spot on that they are pretty much anti-elite and marine in terms of their melta and exorcists, but those flamers and heavy bolters...  Not to be underestimated.

I know I did and well...  won't do so again!

Best,
-BT

He only has 3 flamers. Two strength 3 flamers that can re roll to wound and a hellhound flamer. Although the units can move 12" and than flame can do some hurt or they can deep strike in. It sounds like those three flame weapons put a hurting on you.

BigToof

Merry Early Christmas!

Santa 'Toof brings the rest of the rep.

Enjoy!

Best,
-BT

----------------

--------------------------------
Interlude 1: The Mystery Deepens
--------------------------------

"Transitioning through Warp Storm.  Curious... minimal effect."

Captain Washbourne nodded.  Good, at least something was coming up right.  He threw a glance at the still belligerant form of Baron von Oberheim standing next to him.  The man seemed to have a perpetual frown sewn into his features that nearly sent his monacle firing out of his face.  How did he live like that?

"Captain.  We are entering Material Space.  Prepare for transition."

The Captain nodded.  There was the usual nastiness of plunging out from the Immaterium, but what shocked Washbourne was the sudden tremors that rocked his ship, causing more than one panel to explode, sending servitors thrown around the bridge like toys of an angry toddler.

"Report!" barked the Captain.  "Are we taking fire?"

"Negative sir," responded one of the crew, "It's... an asteroid field.  Dense.  We transitioned right into it.  Shields failed on starboard side.  Engine damage, lower decks penetrated.  Sensors heavily damaged."

The Captain swallowed.  So they were nearly blind, crippled, but still had guns.  In a way, that was almost comforting.

"How...  How many shots can we fire?"

"Las-batteries would manage only a very limited number of volleys before being drained, sir."

Washbourne nodded, "Good, then we'd best not press our luck."

"Sir?  We're reading a...  A signal from a planet.  We've... apparently fallen inside it's orbit.  Can't make much out of it.  Sounds Imperial.  Something...  Something about asking assistance from the...  the 1st Auric?"

All eyes turned to Baron von Oberheim who just scowled deeper and muttered, "What is on the planet?"

"Sensors are extremely limited, sir.  I..."

"I didn't ask about your ship.  What is ON the planet?"

The crewmate swallowed, "Uh... yes, sir.  Sensors indicate it's a... habitable atmosphere.  Mostly rock.  No discernable pockets of life.  Some areas... could be cities."

"Could be?" glowered the Baron.

"I...  I'm not sure, sir.  The signal is coming from one of them."

Washbourne frowned, "How is our long-range?  Are there any other ships out there?"

This time, it was the cre, "That's... sort of debatable, sir.  We don't have much in the way of sensative scanners.  All the rock is playing havok with them.  There could be others out there.  No way of knowing."

The Baron snorted again, "That matter is your burden to deal with Captain.  My men have obviously done their duty.  You will drop us off at the signal and then wait in orbit until we call."

"I...  What?"

"Unless you'd rather we stay LONGER on your ship?"

Washbourne tried to stifle the smile spreading along his face as he barked out his orders.  "Mr. Hollensworth, please give our guests the standard treatment and have our fastest transport ships put to ready.  Helm, go into low orbit for them.  Let's make sure that this goes out as fast as possible."

---------------
"Confirm that, Shas'O, the new Imperial ship is launching transports to the surface, same as the other one."

Shas'O Shas'Shera of the Sept Tau'n, nodded.  It was curious that another Imperial ship would simply fall out hapharzardly into orbit.  And it went under the same procedure to launch transports to the world without first undergoing repairs.

"Shas'la, how badly damaged are they?"

"Rather, Shas'O.  I don't think they could see if we skimmed up next to them and waved."

Sha'Shera smirked at that remark.  She took a moment to glance around at her crew.  Now a Shas'O, and a somewhat famous one, for some reason, she felt oddly saddled with the burden of command.  Even though, she had a full Cadre at her disposal, ready to attack at a moment's notice, Sha'shera felt reluctant to attack.  There was no love lost for the Imperium, and two lost outposts in the area with the bodies horribly disfigured left a great outcry amongst the Sept.  For that reason, she was assigned to investigate, although she felt more and more that the investigation was more akin to vengeance than justice. 
They had come out of a strange Warp Storm with little effect, and found themselves somewhat disoriented around a barren Imperial world.  But that was when the first Imperial ship landed, smashing clumsily into the surrounding debris as if it couldn't see it.  Then  a few hours later another one arrived, much in the same condition.  Things were getting curioser and curioser.

"Pilot, put us in orbit as well.  I want to see how the two interact.  Clearly more is going on than meets the eye..."

--------------

Setup: Well, the terrain gods are once again apparently quite amused at my attempts to defend myself and give me very, very little terrain.  Fair enough, that's why I bring the ADL, which I deploy in a line just in of 12" on my side, roughly in the middle.  My opponent throws down his Bastion at an angle to the opposite side.  Big chunks of ruins and trees go down pretty much in all corners of the board... except my side.  The right has a bit more terrain and my opponent puts down his objective about opposite mine, so we're both looking at a pretty far jog to each other's objectives.

My opponent wins the roll to go first... and then passes it to me?

That was... unexpected.

I put down pretty much as per norm, with the Cuckoos behind the ADL with Madame Rage (haha) on Quadgun.  Two big packs of Guardsman to each side, with the appropriate PCS behind them.  CCS in the far middle back.  Broadsides to the left.

My opponent puts his Rets in the Bastion, with Coteaz and the Servitors on top.  Two groups of Battle Sisters to the right.  Exorcists to the left behind some ruins.  Dreadknight behind the Bastion.

---------------
Turn 1: IG/Tau
---------------
"For the LAST time, Tau, we do NOT need your assistance."

Baron von Oberheim frowned at the annoying flying Tau machine.  The Chenkov brothers brought it in instead of simply shooting it.  He made a mental note to talk to them regarding Xenos and lasguns.

The holographic projection of Shas'O Sha'shera frowned,
"I do not understand your reluctance.  We are both here on similar orders, are we not?  Certainly my forces are more intact than yours and..."

"MY forces are not a concern of yours."

Sha'shera shook her head, "You're... you're making this hard on purpose?  Is Romanov around?  He would listen to me."

The Baron growled and slammed his fist into the wall next to him.

"I AM IN CHARGE HERE.  That fool Romanov is long since retired, cowering away under his women."

Sha'shera smiled, "Oh, so he did retire with honors as the rumours say?  Is it true that he married both his second-in-command and his Etherial?"

The Baron fumed, "I am not talking to you anymore, Tau.  Now take leave before I..."

"Baron?"

Baron von Oberheim turned around to snarl at Alexander Chenkov, "What is it, boy?"

"Sorry to intrude on you and your lady, Commander-Baron, but there are other women who wish to..."

"Tell them they can sit on their doilies and WAIT for me."

"Sir, are..."

"I AM BUSY, Lieutenant.  Tell them to wait."

Alexander nodded and watched the Baron turn back to the strange Xenos woman.  He opened up his comm, "I am sorry, Sister, but our Commander is busy talking to his alien woman.  What's that?  Yes, I think she is a Tau.  I...  I...  Oh.  Well, yes."

Alexander frowned and put the comm down.  He was never sure how to speak to women.  However, this was the first time one had ended a conversation with talk of burning him alive.  Clearly the universe was a very complex place.

----------------

So, we get to shoot first!

The Baron tries for his very first orders... and flubs them.  So, uh... wow, I miss Katya already.

So... onto shooting.  I fire the Broadsides, and get a pair of pens on one Exorcist.  It explodes gloriously.

I also fire my Master of Ordinance at the Bastion, trying to snipe out Coteaz.  The shot scatters off and actually near the rear of the Servitors.  Who all bite it.  Well... that makes targets for the Lascannons kind of easy, as I fire all my shots into their Quadgun and take it apart.

Picture Caption: Hi Coteaz!  Enjoy the view up there!

Turn 1: Sisters/GK
-----------------
"YOU TOLD THEM WHAT?" yelled the Baron, shaking Alexander by the scruff of his neck.

"I... I... I..."

The Baron stopped shaking the man and threw him to his squad.  There were some looks thrown his way, but he ignored them.  Of all the incompetence.  He made a mental note to decide between slow torture or just straight out execution.  That is, of course, if he could survive this incorrigible...

"Baron!  Something is happening!"

The Baron whipped his head up to see a shimmering, enormous, mechanical creature appear from nothing in front of their defensive line.  An enormous fireball rolled down on his squad, killing some of the men outright and lighting more than a few on fire.  He snorted as he watched some of the psykers fall down from the heat.  It was only an Incinerator.  Surely they had felt worse.  Romanov had clearly coddled them far too much.  But things would be different now that HE was in charge.
-------------------

So, the first thing my opponent does is throw the Dreadknight right in front of my face.  That's... not good for my front line.  The Exorcist moves up to eye my Broadsides.  Both packs of Battle Sisters run forwards.

The Dreadknights roasts a good chunk out of my Psykers and goes for the assassination on the Baron!  I lose the Banner, the MoO, but luckily the Baron survives (although there's not much left of the squad).  The Rets then open up and I'm a bit surprised when he tells me that they can see the rear ranks of both my blobs.  So... fire goes down on the right blob, easily cutting down half a dozen or so.  The Exorcist wiffs on my Broadsides.
My three hurt units make scary, scary morale checks, but luckily everyone (barely stays). 

Picture Caption: Katya??  Where are you?

Turn 2: IG/Tau
--------------
"Shas'O!  They are taking heavy fire."

Shas'O Sha'shera nodded, running through the last of her systems checks.  It had been years since she had seen active combat, but the Battlesuit felt just like yesterday.  She tried not to smile, but failed.

"Warriors of the Sept T'aun, listen to my words.  I owe a debt of honour and blood to the Gue'seva below.  Though they are stubborn, hard-headed, and lack the subtlety of a constipated Krootox..."

She waited for the snickers to die down and then continued.

"We are going to save them.  Again.  We probably won't make it into their history books, but let's give them a proper show."

She nodded to the pilot, who began to adjust their decent.  She smirked.  It was just like old times.
--------------

So I get the Crisis Suits, the Rough Riders and the Fire Warriors.

The Suits and the Shas'O land right on target, easily blowing apart the Exorcist.  The Rough Riders come in on the right, looking to sweep up and in.  The Fire Warriors also go out to the right.  Shots go into the front group of Battle Sisters, downing almost half, but they stay strong.  I throw EVERYTHING ELSE into the Dreadknight and it finally, almost reluctantly, goes down.  Oh, and I skooch all of my Guardsmen closer to the ADL... just in case...

Picture Caption: And here come the Tau to save the day!

Turn 2: Sisters/GK
---------------
Inquisitor Coteaz stood atop the reinforced Bastion, watching the Guard and Soriatus duel beneath him.  It was madness, all of this nonsense.  He had requisitioned the Soriatus to help investigate the strange Warp Storms, but they were barely listening to him.  It was something he had prepared for, but the new Guardsmen and the question of their loyalty was not.  Still, he had measures for just such an occasion.

"Acolyte Ramirez, this is Inquisitor Coteaz.  Release Subject #4765.  I have wish to see how it performs."
---------------
So, the Seraphim and the Saint come in.  Oh... this could be bad.  They deviate close in, but unfortunately not far enough.  They burninate ALL of my left blob.
Uh... this could be bad.
The Sisters and Rets concentrate on the right blob and blow it away as well, as my mates just can't seem to roll their cover saves!

Picture Caption: Hey... what happened to my army?

Turn 3: IG/Tau
---------------
The quintet of hooded figures sat quietly in the treetops watching the drama unfold.  Four of them looked to their leader, who sat contemplatively, muttering prayers under his breath.  He then looked up, and nodded to the others.  It was time to prove their worth.
---------------

So, I get the prince, who deepstrikes nicely close to the Bastion.  Coteaz uses his power to uh... attack with his Eagle!  Doing... not to much.  ...  Yeah.

I move Alexander forward to deal with the Seraphim.  Or err... try to deal with them.  I move Lady Saigo up to try and push back the front Sisters who I THINK are in charge range.

Shooting goes thankfully nicely, as the Cuckoos fire their plate and hit dead on...  WITH AP2!  The Saint fails one of her LoS and takes it to the face, falling down.  I then burninate what is left with four flamers and clean up the rest with the Quadgun and Broadsides.
The Prince performs nicely, tearing apart the Bastion with a well aimed meltagun.  The rets take about a dozen wounds to the face, and then fall back off the board!  Coteaz takes also about a dozen wounds, and is crushed by the rubble.

And the Rough Riders move in, supported by the Fire Warriors, who both shoot flame and Tau plasma into the Battle Sisters, leaving only a few behind, who are then nicely charged by Lady Saigo's crew.  The Calvary lance them nicely and then fall back into cover.

Picture Caption:

Turn 3: Sisters/GK
-----------------
Alexander Chenkov nudged the dead Soriatus with his foot.  He was told to be kind to ladies.  However, perhaps exceptions could be made in this case.  After all, they had gone and killed the squad he was supposed to be leading.  He wondered what Uncle Kubriv did in situations like this.

"Boy!  Stop touching the dead females!  We have work to do!"

Alexander nodded at the Baron and returned to his post.  After all, it wasn't as if the dead could rise again...
-------------------

Uh... The Saint gets up.

Ooh... boy.

So she flies over, and burninates the rest of the Barons squad.
The Sisters run back to their objective, getting into cover.
The Saint then CHARGES the Baron.  Who then uses the Quadgun as overwatch, getting in one wound that she fails (whew), and she goes down again.

Picture Caption: Man, I thought I only had to deal with this kind of nonsense when I was fighting Necrons...

Turn 4: IG/Tau
----------------
"Are you certain she's dead this time?"

The Baron snarled at Alexander, "She'd better be.  Now form up around me.  We're not letting these females win this battle."

Alexander looked around at the injured and dead, which was actually almost all of their fighting force.

"Begging your pardon, Great Commander Baron, but should we not consider perhaps waiting for reinforcements?"

The Baron slammed his hand into the Quadgun.

"We DO NOT need reinforcements, you imbicile.  Now form a wall of meat around me, while we make sure the rest of them are dead."
-----------------
So, the Crisis Suits with Shas'O, the Prince and the Rough Riders all move closer, getting ready to do some real damage to the last of the Sisters.  Some shots go into the girls, but only a few fall as they go to ground.

Picture Caption: Form circle of Protection!  Operation Meatshield is GO!

Turn 4: Sisters/GK
--------------
And... the Saint gets up... AGAIN.

Huh... look, I put all of PCS around my CCS.

How smart of me.

She burninates the PCS and again flames the Baron, who takes a wound.
I roll morale for both PCS and FAIL both.

UGH.

So, they go running off the board.

The Saint then assaults the Baron.
She's a bit hampered, I think, by being newly dead, and only does a pair of wounds to the Baron, one of which gets stopped by his reflector field!

He hits back and punches her lights out with his Power Fist.  (I knew that was a good investment, I knew it)  So she goes down... again.

Picture Caption: Man, that Saint goes down more times than a half-price pleasure Servitor on Emperor's Day.

Turn 5: IG/Tau
----------------
I shoot a totally inappropriate amount of plasma and melta into the girls, who take a lot of casualties.  They then fall back off the board, finally leaving the field.

Picture Caption: Finally.

Result: IG/Tau Victory

----------------
Post-Game Thoughts: Well, this was certainly very interesting.  If only for the fact that SO many things didn't work.  My opponent told me that actually I was very close to LOSING the game, as if the Saint got up again and KO'd the Baron, then the Sisters would have all three Secondaries with the Saint contesting the IG objective.  Huh... that's... a good point.  She's only a hundred points and change right?  Wow.  That's a little OP.  Just a little.

So... what worked:

Again, the Tau.  The Broadsides were dead-on great and the Crisis Suits did well.  The Shas'O felt a little heavy as she had so much gear.  I'll probably take some off next time.  The Rough Riders and Stormtroopers did great as well.  The Cuckoos basically saved my backfield.  The two PCS I'm not really sold on, as they didn't have a whole lot of power, although I did get to quad burny the Seraphim.  The Baron is also... kind of not so great compared to Vasily.  He did face-punch the Saint, but in the end, I think his squad was way too expensive for what they did.

Man, that Saint was nasty.  And I might have to steal that Ret-Bastion idea.  SIX rending Heavy Bolters WITH a Quadgun?  Hmm... that's really good...

-----------------

"Baron?  Baron von Oberheim?"

The Baron blinked a few times, trying to bring the world back into focus.  He looked on the ground at the armored, winged Soriatus that had almost killed him.  Almost.  He then looked up and sneered when he saw the shining armor of Shas'O Sha'shera.

"What do you want, Tau?"

Sha'shera sighed, "I am here to deliver my apologies, Baron."

"Apologies?  Good, then you understand you uselessness."

The Tau Commander continued, "Yes, I understand.  I understand that my forces were the only thing that kept your forces from being routed.  I understand that your horribly fractured and mostly dead comrades are in dire need of support and medical attention.  And I understand MOST of all, that you are more than stubborn enough to sit there, wallowing in the last gasps of your life's breath rather than do what is sensible.  So, I am relieving you of your responsibility."

The Baron snarled, struggling to his feet, but was not fast enough to catch a swift kick from Sha'shera, slamming him in the gut and dropping him back into unconsciousness.

She glanced over at the shadowy figures that had followed her from the enemy backfield.

"I take it that you all have a problem with what I just did?"

The lead figure walked forward, throwing off his hood to reveal the face of a young man, not all that unusual except for an odd pair of horns growing from his forehead.

"Not at all.  Though he bears the colours, he is clearly not sent by the great Saint Romanov.  You appear more sensible.  Certainly more reasonable.  I am Prince Tauros, sent by my father, King Bremen on matters of urgent business.  I believe that when this madman awakens again, we should talk.  There is much to discuss."
BigToof Points:

Chicop76

Forgot about the saints heavy flamer. She never worked that well for me :(. Anyway I'm surprised she lost combat like that. If you was fighting her last edition she wouldn't had lost that combat with a +2 invulnerable. Also she could had switch to str 7 mode on go Saint smash. Man the last codex was good times.

Rej

Phew...

Cammerz

Well, this certainly does seem different to Vasily's days. Are we now going to have to start feeling sorry for the Baron instead? Those junior officers of his do seem to be a problem for him.
As for Prince Tauros being a mutant, I did not see that one coming, I was preparing myself for a posh public-schoolboy (probably Eton and then the Bullingdon club at Oxford) who would see himself as superior to the Baron. But this will add a completely different spin on things.

I'm glad you were able to take out that Dreadknight pretty quickly, it seems like the most horrible model imaginable with monstrous creature attacks, tank weaponry and the ability to teleport. I didn't imagine for a second that the Saint would prove to be even more annoying (although I haven't had a look at her rules recently, I should have a look at my White Dwarf collection).

So, well done on the victory, and I'm very pleased that the Baron was the one to end it all. Taking out the Saint with a quadgun on overwatch adds to the list of his extremely badass moments, and I forsee the powerfist adding to that list numerous times in the future.

Looking forward to reading your next report,

Job's a good un! And Merry Xmas.

Chicop76

Quote from: Cammerz on December 24, 2012, 01:33:41 AM
Well, this certainly does seem different to Vasily's days. Are we now going to have to start feeling sorry for the Baron instead? Those junior officers of his do seem to be a problem for him.
As for Prince Tauros being a mutant, I did not see that one coming, I was preparing myself for a posh public-schoolboy (probably Eton and then the Bullingdon club at Oxford) who would see himself as superior to the Baron. But this will add a completely different spin on things.

I'm glad you were able to take out that Dreadknight pretty quickly, it seems like the most horrible model imaginable with monstrous creature attacks, tank weaponry and the ability to teleport. I didn't imagine for a second that the Saint would prove to be even more annoying (although I haven't had a look at her rules recently, I should have a look at my White Dwarf collection).

So, well done on the victory, and I'm very pleased that the Baron was the one to end it all. Taking out the Saint with a quadgun on overwatch adds to the list of his extremely badass moments, and I forsee the powerfist adding to that list numerous times in the future.

They nerfed the Saint rather badly, but they made her cheaper with better combat stats and can wound anything on a 4+ unless she could wound better than a 4. They re worded he abiltity to come back which on a 4+ she always comes back wth random wounds. I repeat nothing in the game can stop her from coming back.

BigToof

Thank you all for the very kind comments!

Quote from: Rej on December 24, 2012, 01:09:24 AM
Nice read! I'm looking forward to where the story goes next!

Thanks Rej,
I'm glad you're liking the fluff and if anything, this build is going to be tougher than normal.
I can't rely on orders.  Or morale.  Or tanks.  So... yeah...  Not sure how this is going to work out.
I might have to lean on the Tau more than usual...

Quote from: Cammerz on December 24, 2012, 01:33:41 AM

Hi Cammerz,
Glad you're liking the fluff, if the Baron has his "Iron Woobie" moments, it's slightly unintentional  :)
Although perhaps, given the circumstances, he's in more than a bit of trouble.
I figure that he's going to be dragged screaming and protesting through dealing with the Tau, Mutants and (gasp) FEMALES of all things in this adventure.
I also just realized that I haven't done any Lady Saigo fluff.  Have to add that in next time.
How did Sha'shera feel this time around?  I wanted to give off the appearance of a much older fighter, so she's not romantic and xenophilic like last time.  She's also not going to take a lot of the Baron's guff and will do what is best for the Greater Good and her blood-debt, even if the Baron doesn't want her to...
And I'm glad that the Prince has some interest.  :)  He was the one I had to work on the most.
Surprised a bit that people aren't wondering about him and Bremen.  After all, if the Cuckoos are just past their twentieth year, that means the Prince is either really, really young or something odd is going on...
Oh, and yes, the Saint is a PAIN in the tuckus, as she just can come back again and again...
My opponent told me that she has basically won him games of relic and Emperor's Will, as she can get up on turn 5/6 and contest.
So... yes, going to let the girls go FIRST if the Saint shows up again.

Quote from: Chicop76 on December 24, 2012, 12:34:31 AM
Forgot about the saints heavy flamer. She never worked that well for me :(. Anyway I'm surprised she lost combat like that. If you was fighting her last edition she wouldn't had lost that combat with a +2 invulnerable. Also she could had switch to str 7 mode on go Saint smash. Man the last codex was good times.
Quote from: Chicop76 on December 24, 2012, 02:34:32 AM
They nerfed the Saint rather badly, but they made her cheaper with better combat stats and can wound anything on a 4+ unless she could wound better than a 4. They re worded he abiltity to come back which on a 4+ she always comes back wth random wounds. I repeat nothing in the game can stop her from coming back.
The Saint is still a monster for her value.  She doesn't have a 2++ anymore, but she also doesn't drain faith like a fire hose and is stupendously cheap for what she can do.  I knew I had to go overkill on her unit, but I didn't realize how dangerous she is in games with few objectives.

That said, I miss the old Witch-Hunters too...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: