News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1850 Grey Knights - Presience

Started by Arguleon-veq, December 20, 2012, 11:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

Ive been thinking about lists that can deal with the Wolf/Guard Blob Squad, Necron Wraith spam and still be decent against other lists. This is what im thinking:

=][= ; Psyker, Termie Armour, Hammer, Psycannon
=][= ; Psyker, Termie Armour, Hammer, Psycannon

10 Terminators ; Psybolts, Banner, 2 Psycannons, 4 Hammers, 6 Swords
10 Terminators ; Psybolts, Banner, 2 Psycannons, 4 Hammers, 6 Swords
10 Strike Squad ; Psybolts, 2 Psycannons, 1 Hammer

Storm Raven ; Multi Melta, Assault Cannon, Psybolts

Dreadknight ; Heavy Incinerator, Hammer

The Dreadknight was just spare points that I had that I didnt want to put on anything that would give up first blood easily. The plan is to join the Inquisitor to each Termie squad and have them re roll misses. The army pumps out some serious firepower at mid range and is quite scary in combat. Do you think it would work?
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Read thr Faq for the dreadknight. Taking the sword is two weapons which gives you the extra attack, and it is looked upon being used at strength 10 for some odd reason. I might have to re read to make sure. that being said that's 5 attacks on the charge that re roll which so far has been boss for me.

I personally not a fan of terminators. That list should do well against MEQ armies, but against huge swarm armies I can see it might have issues do to the amount of wounds thrown on your guys. terminators always die to mass wound weapons. A very heavy shooting dark eldar army is a good example. You can't win a war if you trade lick for lick.

However you have some mobility, but I more in favor of running more strike squads and or purifiers. If i remember correctly the psycannon on your HQ is very expensive.

I would say throw in a purifier squad for the 4 psycannons which could be 16 shots standing still, or 8 shots on the go. It is much cheaper than 10 terms and the squad can do well if it hits combat. Not to mention the 12 other shots at strength 5 thrown in with the psycannon shots. I've found that squad perfect for  geting rid of waves.

The dreadknight is much better in this edition than in the last. The heavy incinerator is a very good weapon compared to the other two choices. In combat it fares pretty well. if you compare terminator cost and dreadknight cost you can see you are gettin a much better deal with the dreadknight. The only gripe I have is i get the psycannon as a large template instead of having more shots.

to be honest i never ran mor than 5 terms or paladins in my list. I always drop them, so I can have more units in the end. I find more bodies and shooting is always better.

The necron Wraith spam I think falls pray to mass wounds. The more psycannons you can dish out the better. i did concider doing full squads of purifiers and the heavy support choic for 1,200 - 1,400 points. You can take cortez so you can have some cheap toop options. The ideal was to have 24 psycannons in my elite and heavy slots for 96 psycannon shots standing still or 48 shots on the go. You can choose to combat squad them if desired. For my troops I was pondering throwing the minimum squad in razorbacks with psycannons for 24 more str 7 shots. If you get first turn it can be awesome. You throwing out so many shots to the point skyfire is no longer a concern and you should be able to rend/ glance death any vehicle out there.

I might be off on the math since it been awhile. Another concept was to take the purifiers as troops and the heavy support option. by doimg so you're pretty swarmy for marines and dishing out a very high rate of fire.

Arguleon-veq

I could take;

10 Purifiers ; 4 Psycannons, 2 Hammers, Psybolts, Digi
Crowe :
=][= ; As above but with brain mines and a servo skull.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 21, 2012, 01:54:39 AM
I could take;

Crowe :
=][= ; As above but with brain mines and a servo skull.

40-80 psycannon shots looks very scarry. I would say that list would destroy anything that comes within 24" of your army. Too bad you can't start them off in chimeras.

Carrelio

Don't forget to take Coteaz in that list!  Give him divination spells, and join him up with a squad of purifiers.  For 100 points, with 2 spells, a hammer, and the ability to let you shoot at anything that deepstrikes near you (Woo for firing psycannons in other people's turns!), he's a steal.

Chicop76

Quote from: Carrelio on December 21, 2012, 04:03:20 AM
Don't forget to take Coteaz in that list!  Give him divination spells, and join him up with a squad of purifiers.  For 100 points, with 2 spells, a hammer, and the ability to let you shoot at anything that deepstrikes near you (Woo for firing psycannons in other people's turns!), he's a steal.

That is a very good point and he has +2 armour and wil contribute another hammer!

Arguleon-veq

I think im going to have to  go with the first list. I used the Purifier list today against the Necron build and just got over-ran. The Barges getting to shoot first against me thanks to better movement meant that they killed a whole unit before I got to fire. Then I killed a barge and some wraiths but the wraiths got into combat with too many left and just slaughtered the purifiers in combat and then the Scythes just killed swathes of my guys when they come in. I was losing 3 guys every time a barge or scythe fired [when I should have probably lost 1-2] and it just took its toll too quickly.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

I think a counter charge unit of crusaders and deathcult might be able to deal with the wraiths. Since the wraiths have invulnerable saves give them all mauls for strength 5 and 6 love. Throw in a rad grenade with hammerhand it will lower the wraiths to toughness 3 and with hammerhand your guys will be str 6-7. It will allow you to instant kill the wraiths when they fail their saves. The crusades and deathcult have invulnerable saves which would make them immune to the rending attacks. Also this unit is cheaper than wraiths which is another plus.

Another ideal is to field a librian. One of his powers is a flame template that removes models off the board. It goes of toughness or intiative test, but would be effective dealing with the wraiths.

The reason I'm not fond of the terms is they can die to rending and the wraiths can lower to int one. Crusaders/ Deathcult should be able to handle them. Throw in a psychoke grenade for added insurance.

Your Dreadknight is another option since he can instant kill on inititiave as well. Re rolling hits and wounds should allow him to kill one or two per round. Their high strength would wound him on 4s and the rending can be an issue. He can take 6 normal hits which would be 12 wounds which would be 24 hits to put a wound on him. Although they do rend which would be a little hard to figure out but I think he could fare against them. They need 4s and 4s on a 2+, while he need 3s and 2s on a re roll against a 3+ invulnerable which he can instant kill.

You need vehicles to protect your stuff. His shots need 6s to glance. I like the chimera for the 5 shots a unit can use. In this case you can take a rhino cause you can take a 10 man psker battle squad and drop strength 10 love on his wraiths with large pie plates. They can also strength 10 those transports as well.

Incinerators wouldn't be a bad ideal as well since they wound on 2s against most of the necron stuff and hurt scarabs rather badly since they take 2 wounds per hit instead of one.

Those are my suggestions if you want to do well. As of yet my crusader/ deathcult with rad and psychoke has destroyed anything they assaulted. With they new options on power weapons it makes them worst.

I usally take a tech priest and give him a +2 invulnerable save in combat to be the grenade holder. I do not use his powers since I do not want him to die. One day he would fix a vehicle. I think one game I fixed a vehicle he was in before. Anyway with the +2 invulnerable he is hard to kill. Also he has a few strength eight attacks to help take out some things, also more instant killing love.

You also can take 3 melta gunners or the lazcannon/ multimelta/ heavy flamer/ inhance you units shooting monkey boy. The lascannon or multi-melta shots would help.

If you must take grey knights. Draigo with paladins is hard to deal with. Also Mardock can turn 1 ds anywhere you want with a few independant characters coming with.