News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Your 40k Resolutions

Started by BigToof, December 21, 2012, 04:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crisis_vyper

My 40k Resolution:

1) Try not to annihilate anyone that is not IG within 2-3 rounds.

2) Try to get myself to actually be less frustrated when I discover  that I am actually bulldozing people and wanting to play longer.

3) Seriously I need to take five from 40k for a while, as I realized that the only opposing army that actually give me the kicks these days is IG. That in itself is very masochistic and I need to see people play with different armies that actually do pose a challenge to me.

4) I need to really print out every darn FAQ ever, as some people do believe that their stuff have things that they do not have. Also it helps me in getting my Reavers randomization right.

5) Need to spend those time that I tend to use for 40k planning and stuff to practice other things. Right now those time are as barren as a desert and is spent procrastinating.

Arguleon-veq

You need to find a more competative environment Vyper, as you've pointed out its never fun just winning games easily.

Its not that hard to find, I didnt know that for years there was a seriously competative gaming club in my next town with some of the very best players in the country who are top 20 and regularly go the ETC.

In the UK 'The Warhammer Forum' is the hub for finding out about all the big tournaments. Im sure there is something like that for wherever you are.

Your in the US at the min right? try and find out were who represents the US in the ETC and see where they are based, theres a chance that one of them may be near you and usually when you get a top player they have a top club.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 23, 2012, 07:42:50 PM
You need to find a more competative environment Vyper, as you've pointed out its never fun just winning games easily.

Its not that hard to find, I didnt know that for years there was a seriously competative gaming club in my next town with some of the very best players in the country who are top 20 and regularly go the ETC.

In the UK 'The Warhammer Forum' is the hub for finding out about all the big tournaments. Im sure there is something like that for wherever you are.

Your in the US at the min right? try and find out were who represents the US in the ETC and see where they are based, theres a chance that one of them may be near you and usually when you get a top player they have a top club.

I agree that I need a much more competitive environment, but one that is healthy too. :-\

Sadly enough for me, they are just too far away for me and even then they tend to not have the right mentality for the game. I have tried a few visits to two stores that are perhaps the more competitive, but the players felt like they are just a bunch of bandwagoners than true gamers. Whenever I just put out my army, most of them literally just whine their little hearts out because most of them either;

A) They do not know the match-up (which is perhaps the most important thing in any game)

B) My army negates their advantages

I got turned off immediately from their attitudes. Of course there are some very good players that are nice and stuff, but they come and go. Of course, if I find an IG player I will play them as they are the only army that truly pushes me these days. It is a sad form of ennui for me.  :facepalm001:

So these days I tend to prefer tournaments here, as they tend to draw the other players around town to play. But of course, American tournaments are never truly set in stone for the rules and sometimes they make some very bizzarre rules that actually penalize some armies and boost others, which means that it is not a true test of skills and instead being more like luck most of the time. Winning in such a tournament never really make me feel like I have won at all.

Lastly, real-life responsibilities and travelling distance means that making a 40k trip is a 50-50 thing for me, as I do not get a 'true' opponent at times. That's why I actually jumped ship to Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012 for my more competitive needs. :'(

I wish I was back in Malaysia where the players are so much more harder and friendlier.

P.S: I could always play as a Marine, but then.......I tried them a few times before with friends that have components with what I want, and I never find true excitement with the playstyle as it is hella boring, no matter what kind of Marine I am.

Arguleon-veq

Ive found that most of the top players, at least in the UK are very friendly and great to play against. They dont complain or get angry about things in the game which is nice.

Im not sure on the US scene as they dont tend to finish well at the ETC [Euro Team Championships, even though every country is welcome]. But im sure their team has the same attitude, ive played guys from the Welsh, Scottish and English teams and they have all been very good players but with the right attitude, I think with it being a team thing, people with a bad attitude just dont get selected because the team has to put up with it. Although as you said, its travelling if none of them are based near you.

I could find out were each of them are based for you if youd like? The international ranking platform has links and things like that for most of the teams who enter and details about the players in the teams. You deffo wont have any silliness with them whining/not knowing the match up/not being able to deal with different armies when you find the right players.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 24, 2012, 08:05:49 PM
I could find out were each of them are based for you if youd like? The international ranking platform has links and things like that for most of the teams who enter and details about the players in the teams. You deffo wont have any silliness with them whining/not knowing the match up/not being able to deal with different armies when you find the right players.

It's okay, I believe that I can find a way around it in time. My dillemma is a very interesting one as distance is killer on my budget especially now that I do not have my own car and I am living alone on my own cash in the US.  This is what happens when you always go to a store, and then when that store closes down you switched to a new store.  :'(

The previous store that I went to is much more my cup of tea as the players are both fun and strong while the new one is somewhat of a mixed boat of people. I will always play with the stronger players whenever possible but when they are not in the store for the day, I could not do much but to kill the seals/newbies and the noobs for wanting of a better terminology for the type of players that I am forced to play with.

For example, I am kinda sick and tired of telling noob Marine players that they do not get Flakk Missile unless their FAQ or codex say that they do. Seriously just really tired of Marine players not believing that they do not get everything on their lap for once.  :facepalm001:

But that saying, I still tend to have a high rate of success against Marine players as a result of my army being good at killing them and Xenos armies. IG is the only hard counter for me . :P

Jonagon

Maybe consider playing a race which are more of a challenge to play?

Some of the more underpowered books might give you more of a challenge against these players whilst still challenging you? Or pick deliberately rubbish lists and try and win with them despite it?

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Jonagon on December 24, 2012, 09:38:35 PM

Some of the more underpowered books might give you more of a challenge against these players whilst still challenging you? Or pick deliberately rubbish lists and try and win with them despite it?

Sounds like a plan to me! Go with something superduper fluffy - that always appears to be a sound way of twisting yourself out a tactical arm and leg with most armies. :P
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Linn Scarlett on December 24, 2012, 09:57:06 PM
Quote from: Jonagon on December 24, 2012, 09:38:35 PM

Sounds like a plan to me! Go with something superduper fluffy - that always appears to be a sound way of twisting yourself out a tactical arm and leg with most armies. :P

Funnily enough, I am playing what is perhaps the most challenging race to play in 40k: Dark Eldar. My previous armies includes Orks, Daemons, Tau, Chaos Space Marines and SOB. All my armies are of intermediate to highly difficult armies to play and I can say that my time with such armies made me feel that playing a Marine army as unnaturally dull and easy. My current Dark Eldar list has been toned down by half at least now, with me including Reavers rather than bikers just to let my opponent have some infantry guns to be able to kill something from my army. Not to mention that I am following an entirely fluffy army build that is also quite competitive enough.

Please do tell me if there are any armies harder than all the armies I have mentioned and I might jump on it.

Arguleon-veq

Vanilla SM are very hard to do really well with against top lists these days. DE took a big boost in the game going towards infantry heavy as nobody shoots infantry down better than DE, plus with pre measuring night shields makes some of your skimmers almost impossible to shoot at for some enemy units whilst you shoot them with impunity.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 25, 2012, 10:02:14 PM
Vanilla SM are very hard to do really well with against top lists these days. DE took a big boost in the game going towards infantry heavy as nobody shoots infantry down better than DE, plus with pre measuring night shields makes some of your skimmers almost impossible to shoot at for some enemy units whilst you shoot them with impunity.

I feel like Tau had a slightly tougher time than Vanilla SM, but that is just me though. Maybe I will have to jump ship to the new Dark Angels or something and suck in the cheese....:P

Jonagon

Was it the WD SoB codex you were using? Supposedly that's pretty bad, and yeah Tau, though I think they've gone up a bit in 6th and I didn't do too badly with them before.

I think DE are pretty damn good if you're a good player, maybe hard to play, but devastating when you can play them.

As others have said it must be hard in the US where the distances are much bigger, I whine about only having 2 GW's and 3 gaming clubs within a 20 min car journey.  :P

Fhanados

My 40k resolution is simple. Finish my damn Chaos Marines! I've thought about it and managed to break it down into a few simple steps for myself to follow:

• Decide how to equip my Terminators. Seriously, they've been on the sprue for 6 months because of my indecision and it's costing me games!
  • Paint the tanks. There's not many of them and it will clear a lot of room off my workbench!
  • Base the stuff I've finished so they can go in the display cabinet!
  • Paint one unit at a time. I get overenthusiastic  and take on too much at once. Bad Dan!

After that I have my Fiancee's dark elves, my lizardmen and my brother's wood elves to work on. And Necrons. And Dreadfleet. And Heroquest. And Space Marines.... Crap!

Chicop76

To be fair I find marine armies the easiest to beat. Especally vanilla marines. I run 80 through 100 models with most my armies besides daemons. 60 is the very very mininmum I wil field. I find that the more you field the more mistakes you can get away with. The less models you field the less forgiving your mistakes are. I fought all terminator armies and found they are the easiest to beat. I run into problems aginst 150 or more models.

A standard marine is not scarry if you dosing them with 10 or more wounds. If your opponent is rolling below average it realy hurts them, while with models who couldn't save anyway it doesn't matter that you roll good.

That is the major differance with super elite armies and swarm armies. Elite armies have to play and roll good, while swarm just have to play good and can afford to roll poor all game long.

Well I need to dress up this year for Halloween and may try to pull off a Cortez outfit. All I have to do is find gold plated chain mail armor, fur, an a cool hammer.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Jonagon on December 26, 2012, 11:42:32 AM
Was it the WD SoB codex you were using? Supposedly that's pretty bad, and yeah Tau, though I think they've gone up a bit in 6th and I didn't do too badly with them before.

I think DE are pretty damn good if you're a good player, maybe hard to play, but devastating when you can play them.

As others have said it must be hard in the US where the distances are much bigger, I whine about only having 2 GW's and 3 gaming clubs within a 20 min car journey.  :P

Eeyup. Played it once back in Malaysia and even though I won, but I feel that the SoB lost their edge. Tau need their new book for sure, as I felt that the only saving graces that the book have this moment is essentially their railgun.

As for your whining......*looking at Jonagon with lots of jealousy and sadness* :P

Jonagon

Quote from: crisis_vyper on December 27, 2012, 05:43:26 AM
As for your whining......*looking at Jonagon with lots of jealousy and sadness* :P

;)

Quote from: Fhanados on December 27, 2012, 12:09:07 AM

• Decide how to equip my Terminators. Seriously, they've been on the sprue for 6 months because of my indecision and it's costing me games!
  • Paint the tanks. There's not many of them and it will clear a lot of room off my workbench!
  • Base the stuff I've finished so they can go in the display cabinet!
  • Paint one unit at a time. I get overenthusiastic  and take on too much at once. Bad Dan!

Sounds like a good plan!