News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

6th Edition Tau - Tweaks of the Characters

Started by Narric, January 01, 2013, 02:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

Why would drones get 3 attacks? 1 each, 2 on the charge. Thats it and its enough.  They are disposable units not CC monsters.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on January 06, 2013, 07:40:20 PM
Why would drones get 3 attacks? 1 each, 2 on the charge. Thats it and its enough.  They are disposable units not CC monsters.
He's refering to Drone shaving HoW, which confers an additional attack @ I10. effectively meaning a 4 Drone unit would get 12 Attacks on the Charge, along with their shooting attacks that would've softened the target.

Chicop76

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on January 06, 2013, 08:55:12 PM
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on January 06, 2013, 07:40:20 PM
He's refering to Drone shaving HoW, which confers an additional attack @ I10. effectively meaning a 4 Drone unit would get 12 Attacks on the Charge, along with their shooting attacks that would've softened the target.

That would be so awesome. I still like to use my gun drones for deep strike shoot behind tanks and for objective disruption. The shoot and 3 attacks would make them really good fpr what they do.

Narric

However, it is unjustified. Gun Drones just don't have the presence or mass to make me think they should have HoW.

However, for that exact same reason, I think they should have Stealth (but not Shrouded), as they're small targets, and could easily hide in cover.

Wargamer

They are not small. They are nowhere near close to small. These things are damn near five feet across at least, and are easily a foot thick. In short, if they are not small enough to constitute a 'swarm' creature, they don't deserve Stealth due to their size.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

Quote from: Wargamer on January 06, 2013, 10:36:36 PM
They are not small. They are nowhere near close to small. These things are damn near five feet across at least, and are easily a foot thick. In short, if they are not small enough to constitute a 'swarm' creature, they don't deserve Stealth due to their size.
Thats understandable.

Anyway, enough about Drones, shall we try and return to Tau Characters?

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Well, from what I can gather, Farsight should come in at around 210pts, which if memory serves is roughly what he is now anyway. Assuming the Dawn Blade is just ignoring armour saves. If it has an AP then it's probably a little higher.

Shadowsun around 170 before the Shield drones. Not sure how much they cost.

Aun'shi around the 170 ball park.

These are of course preliminary estimates. I'm a little sketchy on the price costs for some of the Tau wargear
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Chicop76

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on January 06, 2013, 10:10:37 PM
However, it is unjustified. Gun Drones just don't have the presence or mass to make me think they should have HoW.

However, for that exact same reason, I think they should have Stealth (but not Shrouded), as they're small targets, and could easily hide in cover.

They do with stealth suits. Run a stealth squad behind a tank for + 2 love with drones in tow.

I would agree but Gargoyles are not much bigger and get the benefit. Not to mention 1/2 the cost. Also mass and speed go hand to hand. If a 1 ton object moves at a snails pace not much damage is done there, while an object like a baseball moving at Mach one speed can do massive damage.

If my drone controler upgrade char couldn't be sniped or singled out I would take drones in squads again. I used to do so and ran them with carbines. Sadly Carbines have taking a hit. Although I did assault squads with my Tau and won some fights, thanks to hitting on 4s and that +4 save. However I rather rapid fire and sit in overwatch now.

Thanks to the new edition out flanking kroot is much better now. They are harder to break and they can hit anything that is 30" away from the sides. Which means they threaten 60" or a 5ft section of the table.

With O'Shova the only differance really is the ap of the weapon while it still does the same thing. His cost now is under 200 points. If memory serves me right he is around 170 points.

Aun'Shi if I remember correct is around 110 points. You adding about 50 point more to what both of them normally cost.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Chicop76 on January 06, 2013, 11:59:31 PM
I would agree but Gargoyles are not much bigger and get the benefit. Not to mention 1/2 the cost. Also mass and speed go hand to hand. If a 1 ton object moves at a snails pace not much damage is done there, while an object like a baseball moving at Mach one speed can do massive damage.

If my drone controler upgrade char couldn't be sniped or singled out I would take drones in squads again. I used to do so and ran them with carbines. Sadly Carbines have taking a hit. Although I did assault squads with my Tau and won some fights, thanks to hitting on 4s and that +4 save. However I rather rapid fire and sit in overwatch now.

Thanks to the new edition out flanking kroot is much better now. They are harder to break and they can hit anything that is 30" away from the sides. Which means they threaten 60" or a 5ft section of the table.

With O'Shova the only differance really is the ap of the weapon while it still does the same thing. His cost now is under 200 points. If memory serves me right he is around 170 points.

Aun'Shi if I remember correct is around 110 points. You adding about 50 point more to what both of them normally cost.
Gargoyles are living, sentient beings with lots of sharp pointy bits designed to hurl themselves at the enemy after circling them. Gun drones are specifically designed to AVOID combat.

Ok, Farsight I may have been a little hard on, but I don't think I'm out by too much given how Night Vision and Bonding Knives work now and that Farsight's getting Hammer of Wrath and given that he confers Night Vision to his squad (which could be bloody painful) and Bonding Knives to the army. Rallying on LD8 no matter what is a pretty nasty ability. My cost is based on a Shas'O, then charging +5pts for each +1 Initiative, but only 10pts for his rifle. 35pts for the Dawn Blade, 5 for Night Vision, 5 for Hatred, 15 for Blood Brothers, 5 for Hammer of Wrath. Then the Shield generator, target lock and bonding knife at Tau costs = 195 if my maths is right. So ok, I was a little harsh, but not by much I don't think. He should be 205, unless you think any of my costings there are completely unjustified?

Aun'Shi, frankly, adding 50pts is about right here. He was abhorrently broken in his previous incarnation from what you've said, almost as much as Celestine is now. Fearless is no longer a downside and he now gets +1 to Deny the Witch which is not to be underestimated so yeah, I think I'm not far off with Aun'Shi.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Chicop76

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on January 07, 2013, 02:10:10 AM

Gargoyles are living, sentient beings with lots of sharp pointy bits designed to hurl themselves at the enemy after circling them. Gun drones are specifically designed to AVOID combat.

Ok, Farsight I may have been a little hard on, but I don't think I'm out by too much given how Night Vision and Bonding Knives work now and that Farsight's getting Hammer of Wrath and given that he confers Night Vision to his squad (which could be bloody painful) and Bonding Knives to the army. Rallying on LD8 no matter what is a pretty nasty ability. My cost is based on a Shas'O, then charging +5pts for each +1 Initiative, but only 10pts for his rifle. 35pts for the Dawn Blade, 5 for Night Vision, 5 for Hatred, 15 for Blood Brothers, 5 for Hammer of Wrath. Then the Shield generator, target lock and bonding knife at Tau costs = 195 if my maths is right. So ok, I was a little harsh, but not by much I don't think. He should be 205, unless you think any of my costings there are completely unjustified?

Aun'Shi, frankly, adding 50pts is about right here. He was abhorrently broken in his previous incarnation from what you've said, almost as much as Celestine is now. Fearless is no longer a downside and he now gets +1 to Deny the Witch which is not to be underestimated so yeah, I think I'm not far off with Aun'Shi.

Hammer is the only thing new really and he still runs between 160-180. However I think maybe having the Dawn blade up to strength six and maybe eternal warrior due to my fan boy ism.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Chicop76 on January 07, 2013, 08:14:53 AM
Quote from: Warmaster Russ on January 07, 2013, 02:10:10 AM

Hammer is the only thing new really and he still runs between 160-180. However I think maybe having the Dawn blade up to strength six and maybe eternal warrior due to my fan boy ism.
Then his cost before was wrong. As I said, my math puts him at 195 and that's if he's paying half price for his plasma rifle. Admittedly, unique characters tend to run in a little cheaper, but I think 190 is as low as he should go, that still works out 15pts cheaper than he should be, and he has some nice toys/rules you couldn't get without him. Seems fair enough to me.

S6 and Eternal Warrior? Yeah, like you said, fanboyism. No, definitely not. "And They Shall Know No Special Rules" is not getting applied here.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http