News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Bringing back Venom Spam

Started by Arguleon-veq, January 07, 2013, 07:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

With the game  moving away from long ranged firepower into more of a mid ranged game I really think the Venom spam can work again. With the move towards infantry heavy armies they also work great in gunning down these hordes of infantry.

A massive factor in the list is Night Shields, this will keep off even mid-long range guns and stop infantry from doing any damage with any of their weapons.

Haemonculus: Venom Blade, Liquifier Gun
3 Wracks:
3 Wracks
:
5 Wracks: Liquifier Gun
Venom: Extra Cannon, Night Shield X6
5 Trueborn: 2 Venom Cannons
Venom: Extra Cannon, Night Shield
2 Ravagers: Night Shields
Void Raven: Flickerfield

Eldrad:
5 Fire Dragons
: Exarch, Tank Hunters, Crack Shot
3 Bikers:

Defense Line with Quadgun
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on January 07, 2013, 07:48:14 PM
With the game  moving away from long ranged firepower into more of a mid ranged game I really think the Venom spam can work again. With the move towards infantry heavy armies they also work great in gunning down these hordes of infantry.

A massive factor in the list is Night Shields, this will keep off even mid-long range guns and stop infantry from doing any damage with any of their weapons.

Haemonculus: Venom Blade, Liquifier Gun
3 Wracks:
3 Wracks
:
Venom: Extra Cannon, Night Shield X6
5 Trueborn: 2 Venom Cannons
Venom: Extra Cannon, Night Shield
2 Ravagers: Night Shields
Void Raven: Flickerfield

Eldrad:
5 Fire Dragons
: Exarch, Tank Hunters, Crack Shot
3 Bikers:

Defense Line with Quadgun

I am a little worried with the lack of anti-tank in this army. Other mech armies may have taken a hit, but they are still present nonetheless. Not to mention that once the Ravagers and Voidraven are taken out, your entire army will be left out to dry.

And I must say that if you are taking the Fire Dragons, the Icarus Lascannon could be considered over the Quadgun due to the abilities and BS of the Exarch.

Tom

If you were worried about anti-tank I guess a couple of squads of wracks could be swapped for trueborn with blasters but I think 2 ravagers and a void raven is still reasonable rather than completely inadequate.

Rej has been fielding lots of venoms for a while and I still find them such a pain to deal with and such a good deal from his perspective. So cheap for 12 shots at good medium range and the ability to carry a small squad around in relative safety (any time you're not shooting at a dark eldar squad they're happy).

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Tom on January 08, 2013, 12:33:56 AM
If you were worried about anti-tank I guess a couple of squads of wracks could be swapped for trueborn with blasters but I think 2 ravagers and a void raven is still reasonable rather than completely inadequate.

Rej has been fielding lots of venoms for a while and I still find them such a pain to deal with and such a good deal from his perspective. So cheap for 12 shots at good medium range and the ability to carry a small squad around in relative safety (any time you're not shooting at a dark eldar squad they're happy).

Trueborns are cool, but their range is somewhat limited. And from my experience, having too many Venoms can be bad for the overall balance of a Dark Eldar army. There is a need to mix raiders and venoms together to the particular ratio that you like. Personal opinion in regards to the venom/raider ratio is 2:1.

salamut2202

It's been a while since I've seen venom spam without with blaster kabalites and true born and probably why this looks like it could be vulnerable to armour, I mean blasters don't have the most effective range so quantity usually gets over this. I haven't seen Venom spam with a wrack theme for a wile so I don't know how effectively it would work.

BigToof

It's... getting there, but there's still a lot of heavy mech that you'll have to deal with (Russes come to mind) that will need more lances I fear.
Also, depending on your local meta, AR12 flyers could give your list some problems, as the Fire Dragons could only really deal with one a turn...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Arguleon-veq

I was a little worried by the lack of AT but I do have 8 lances and a quadgun that re rolls everything. Ive put the raven in rather than an extra ravager in case the quadgun dies, although with eldrad casting fortune on it and himself with the firedragons who will also be joined by the hemo behind the defenseline, both should be REALLY hard to shoot down which should get me extra shooting at those flyers.

The quadgun is much better than the las for the exarch as the las can only do 1 HP per turn and he doesnt get to re roll damage results. Im not sure what to take out to add more anti tank, the amount of poison I have, even with Doom from Eldrad going off is the minimum it takes to deal with 3 wraith squads led by 2 lords by turn 3 which even with our mobility is probably the key turn as after that they can pin us back. There are always blasters on the trueborn or swapping out wracks for warriors with blasters but as we really need first turn I worry about leaving warriors out on an objective for a turn where as I trust wracks to take a turn of shooting with their extra T and FnP.

AV14 is a worry as the quadgun cant touch them, if im facing 1 or 2 I can probably deal with it but anymore than that and I will struggle, luckily I dont really see them but I think there are going to be more lately with the game moving towards S7. I was tempted for more trueborn, still with venom cannons but giving them all haywires for some back up.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33