News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Warp Spiders

Started by Tom, January 07, 2013, 11:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Some Warp Spiders to share:

The models are showing their age I think. These ones are metal and they really feel like a lump in your hand. I still think they have good elements but I'm looking forward to more varied and dynamic models in the future.

I think the heads would look better if they weren't so plain but I can't freehand the warp spider rune that small and the transfers are tricky on such a small and curved area. The freehand on the back gave me enough trouble, if you pay attention it's obvious how different each rune is from the others but I think they look regular enough. I think I find curvy symbols more forgiving.

The pattern on the death spinners was a bit of an experiment. I was going for a look that suggested some sort of organised arrangement of webbing inside the guns.

Four more to go before I give up and wait for new models. What do you think?

Rej

These are fantastic! The effect on the guns is really cool and the green adds a lot to the models, I'm a big fan of that shade of red too. I see the Exarch is done (look exceptional) so I can guess these guys will be more dangerous next game, I'll have to send more then Wyches after them!
Phew...

salamut2202

Those are pretty brilliant, there is a glint  in each stone, what colours did you use for them?

The nonalignment detail in the spinners are really good too.

LinnScarlett

I think they are amazing - I especially love the detail experiment you did on the weapon, it looks very good to me.

Don't the Warpspids have resin kits yet? You could always get around to getting one of those and mix in some posed ones to break up the monotomy. Even so, I don't think the similar posings hurt them too much, they're a bunch of well-trained, reflex-savvy, unity-fighting fluffies, are they not? Them moving all in sync is actually more frightening, I think!  :o
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Tom

Thanks for the praise, I'm glad the pattern in the spinners meets your approval, now I have to make sure that it will scale up and look OK in a night spinner's doomweaver.
Quote from: salamut2202 on January 08, 2013, 03:07:22 AM
Those are pretty brilliant, there is a glint  in each stone, what colours did you use for them?
The stones were a blend from Dark Angels Green to Snot Green and then to Scorpion Green. The glint is from cheating afterwards by using a coat of gloss varnish which seems to create a better effect from more angles than actually painting a white reflection dot.
Quote from: Linn Scarlett on January 08, 2013, 01:09:48 PM
Don't the Warpspids have resin kits yet? You could always get around to getting one of those and mix in some posed ones to break up the monotomy. Even so, I don't think the similar posings hurt them too much, they're a bunch of well-trained, reflex-savvy, unity-fighting fluffies, are they not? Them moving all in sync is actually more frightening, I think!  :o
They do have a resin kit but it's just a re-cast rather than a new sculpt. Unfortunately lumps of resin might be lighter than metal but they're still lumps. I like the idea that they're well-trained soldiers, too bad they don't appear to be trained to shoot!

Jonagon

Looking great! Warp spiders clearly recieve extensive training on how to stand with their legs really far apart.  ;)

Quote from: Tom on January 07, 2013, 11:54:17 PM
The freehand on the back gave me enough trouble, if you pay attention it's obvious how different each rune is from the others but I think they look regular enough. I think I find curvy symbols more forgiving.

:o You're crazy man! I find straight lines waaay easier!

Thantos

Awesome unit :D I love warpspiders since playing Dawn of War. I too, cant wait for a new plastic kit.
The freehands is very consistant! Perhaps something more jazzy is needed with the powerblades though? They dont stand out too much at the moment.

Tom

Quote from: Jonagon on January 09, 2013, 07:05:48 AM
:o You're crazy man! I find straight lines waaay easier!
But if you get a straight line wrong then it's not straight and it's obviously a mistake - whereas if you get a curvy line wrong you might get away with it!
Quote from: Thantos on January 09, 2013, 07:04:41 PM
Perhaps something more jazzy is needed with the powerblades though? They dont stand out too much at the moment.
You're right, powerblades should stand out more but I kind of don't want them (extra pts spent to make a shooty unit better in CC? Foolish!) so I thought painting them in a boring way might allow me to justify counting them as a standard close combat weapon rather than powerblades. I do have another exarch somewhere, so maybe one day I'll go to town on his powerblades to make up for these boring ones.