News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

How would you guys crack my Dark Eldar army?

Started by crisis_vyper, January 07, 2013, 11:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on January 11, 2013, 01:54:42 PM
Good call on dropping the Archons gear for a Venomblade. As an awful lot of tough units these days have an invun save that is better than their normal save [as they usually dont have a normal save] the Venomblade is a smart choice, plus I think wounding on 2+ offsets them getting a save even if its 3+. I think in terms of points effectiveness its his best weapon. That and a Shadowfield can bog down very good characters in challenges for ages and often come out on top thanks to weight of wounds caused.

Not really sure about that. I don't think you want a shadow field archon in prolonged battle. He is good for a few wounds here and there. To many wounds can be dangerous to his health. I can see other upgrade characters going that routr however or scissorhands.

I was thinking with challenges a clone field wouldn't be bad now. You get to negate on averagetwo wounding attacks which is a character with at least 5 attacks dishing out that many wounds on average, unless str 5 or higher. Also with some shardnets like say 3 you can be boss in almost any challenge. Let's say you get charged by KOS with 7 attacks, it would be reduced to 4 attacks with 3 getting through you can negate 2 with 0n possible getting through. Ok bad example unless you had D grenades or if you are charging the model.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on January 11, 2013, 01:54:42 PM
Good call on dropping the Archons gear for a Venomblade. As an awful lot of tough units these days have an invun save that is better than their normal save [as they usually dont have a normal save] the Venomblade is a smart choice, plus I think wounding on 2+ offsets them getting a save even if its 3+. I think in terms of points effectiveness its his best weapon. That and a Shadowfield can bog down very good characters in challenges for ages and often come out on top thanks to weight of wounds caused.

Yeah and I noticed that wounding with the huskblade is something to be desired for at times despite its advantages. The problem I see with it is that I need to 'trigger' the weapon with the soul-trap to make it efficient, and with their low strength it is an uphill struggle. Only issue that I have is that there is a tendency among the players here to buff their HQ with either terminator armour or artificier armour to protect them and the venom blade is not really amazing against them either.

Of course I could take both the venom blade and the huskblade together, but that is just a little too much at times pointwise.

Quote from: Chicop76 on January 11, 2013, 02:36:16 PM
Not really sure about that. I don't think you want a shadow field archon in prolonged battle. He is good for a few wounds here and there. To many wounds can be dangerous to his health. I can see other upgrade characters going that routr however or scissorhands.

I was thinking with challenges a clone field wouldn't be bad now. You get to negate on averagetwo wounding attacks which is a character with at least 5 attacks dishing out that many wounds on average, unless str 5 or higher. Also with some shardnets like say 3 you can be boss in almost any challenge. Let's say you get charged by KOS with 7 attacks, it would be reduced to 4 attacks with 3 getting through you can negate 2 with 0n possible getting through. Ok bad example unless you had D grenades or if you are charging the model.

My experience with CC with the Archon always puts me with an opponent that will be able to instakill me in a second and have a medium to high number of attacks. The clonefield is not reliable in that sense as it does not entirely eliminate all the attacks. It is good against sergeants and stuff, but against other more dedicated assault characters, there is something to be desired. The shadowfield is more reliable in that sense. It is not bad, but the fact still remains that the shadowfield works outside of combat as well. That is the main selling point of the Shadowfield in my opinion.