News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Cult of Fleshmetal: a fun idea to run chaos

Started by Brassclaw, January 08, 2013, 12:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassclaw

So i was looking through the chaos codex, and i thought about how some people build there lists on a theme. Usually as a chaos player, you build you list on a mark of chaos. As a Worldeater player, i have built an army around the mark of khorne. So then i thought about building a list that wasn't based on the usually mark of chaos, but something less obvious. So as the title suggests, i thought i would build around Fleshmetal armour. Here's how i would go at it.

HQ

• Warpsmiths
  • Uber Mutilator (Count as Chaos Lord)
  • Uber Obliterator (Count as Sorcerer) 
  • Fleshmetal High Priest (Count as Typhus)

So the whole point of the Cult is to put out as much Fleshmetal gear or 2+ saves. Now at first looks, you would say that Warpsmiths would probably be the choice of this list as they have Fleshmetal. But this list wont have much tanks, so picking them might be a waste of that ability. The next choice would be pick a chaos lord and deck him out hand to hand combat and Terminator armour. This would basically make him into a uber mutilator. You could also take Sorcerer and take him with Terminator armour and some other goodies which would make him into a uber obilterator. Last option would be to take a count as Typhus, since he has Terminator and comes with his own pile of goodies, He would make a great choice.

TROOPS

• Cultists
  • Plague Zombies
Every cult needs cultists and this list will probably need cheap bodies for objective takers and sitters, If you take Typhus, you can make plague Zombie cultists.

ELITES

• Mutilators
Yup, probably not the best choice tactically, but this is the cult of fleshmetal. I would use them to guard your Obits or cultists

FAST ATTACK

• Spawn
  • Heldrakes
Not actually sure to put here. The fast attack section doesn't have a unit with fleshmetal.  Spawn might work as a choice, they could be cultists and warriors who have failed on are now kept as pets or something along those lines. Also you can never go wrong with Heldrakes as a tactical choice, plus they are kind of like living metal being daemon engines.

HEAVY SUPPORT

• Obilterators
  • Daemon Engines
Pretty obvious what goes here. Obilters and Daemon Engines.

So there you have it. An alternative look on the themed chaos army and tactically viable IMHO.

The Man They Call Jayne

It's certainly possible. Although I would definatly put forward the Warpsmith as a good choice. Give him the Burning Brand (my favorite weapon in the whole codex) and he will still get 5 attacks on the charge with a Power Axe. This gives him devestating ranged and close combat ability. He can support your other units, and he can do a number on enemy tanks with Machine Curse.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Fhanados

I think the Dark Vengeance hellbrute would fit the feel for this army quite well. Take two of them and reduce your reliance on Mutilators. You'd probably save a few points too.

For Fast Attack I think with some suitable conversions you could pull of Nurgle (or whatever mark you're inclined to really) bikes. I saw two armies recently with very nice bike conversions. One made "centaurs" out of Chaos Knight horses and CSM torsos and another had the rider's armour fused to the bikes. No 2+ armour save, but still possible to fit the theme I think.

I also agree about the Warpsmith. They're a nice choice even when not using many vehicles, just don't expect them to be the unstoppable beast that the Chaos lord can be.