News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Loeldrad's Project Log

Started by loeldrad, January 21, 2013, 04:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loeldrad

Hi Guys! Randomly got inspired to pick up the brush yesterday. Still have to go back and clean up the Turquoise highlights, add highlights to the grey areas, and add more dry brush bronze to the Tin bitz base coat but I'm really happy with my progress so far. Any tips on having a steadier hand for edge highlights would be great haha. I always have to spend so much time going back and cleaning up highlights. 

Looking to get 1,000 points painted up within a month. I want to finish off The unit of Destroyers and Scarabs then probably a squad of Immortals, some Wraiths (Still have to assemble these) and a Destroyer Lord for an HQ. I'll see how many points I have left to play with after that. Any tips to improve these are more then welcome!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Oh Also I was playing around with different base colors. I like the warriors bases better so I'll be fixing the scarab bases to match as well.

Narric

Some very cool looking 'Crons you got there :D

Can't ait to see more :D

Will's on Fire

Looking good! Keep it up!

- Will

Chris

Yay! Non silver necrons! It was a problem back with their old codex, which unfortunately seems to have been carried over... or at least in my LGC

Nice to see some change! Keep it up buddy!

LinnScarlett

Oh, I love the blue in them it really makes them pop out of the mass of everybodypaintsnecronblackandsilver! Very cool! Looking forward to see more of that!  ;D
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Lord Sotek

I paint mine black and silver with gold and dark-green elements....  :( *embarrasment*
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

loeldrad

Thanks guys! I should Have some more stuff painted this weekend!

loeldrad

Haven't painted in a while and randomly got inspired to paint up a mini I had lying around for a cleric in a Pathfinder run I joined. If anyone could point me towards a decent tutorial on painting eyes or just give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. My attempts came out pretty bad so i covered them up haha.

Spoiler

Tom

I can't help you very much without pictures but I can tell you that the key with small eyes (in other words not a big monster or something similar) is to make sure the pupil touches the top and bottom of the eye. If you try and paint a black dot on a white background your mini is going to look surprised. Essentially you want to be trying to paint a white ellipse with a black circle over the top that is larger than the height of the ellipse. Of course you don't actually paint the whole circle, just how much of it falls within the ellipse. In the end it can even look like a square within a rectangle and still look alright from a distance, just be prepared to spend a little time on it and don't be frustrated if you slip.

Jonagon

I often do this:

1. Paint the eyes white
2. Use a wash to add shadow around them and clean up the definition on the eye/cover mistakes
3. Dot some black at the edge of the eye.

That is to say, I put the pupil in the corner of the eye, which means I don't have to worry as much about lining them up.

There's an example of this here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/c0bra/2012/front-2.jpg

In this case I added blue to the wash around the eyes, because people tend to have that.

Does that make sense? I guess one important thing is, this is hard, everyone messes it up sometimes, even the pro's often need a couple of attempts to get it right.

EDIT: found a better picture maybe:

loeldrad

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll be doing some painting tonight and I'll give the eyes another go. I also might have another mini painted up for the run to post.