News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

6th Edition WTFs?

Started by BigToof, July 02, 2012, 09:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

I discovered this WTF as I was looking over what was a character. At first I thought characters was just your traditional Special Character like The Avatar of Khaine, but I looked over the army listings and realise that almost all upgraded models is a character. The typical Shas and a seargent are both characters. At first I said so what, but then I saw that you allocate wounds to whatever modle you want if you roll a 6 to hit. Also chalenging is also a downer.

1. Let's say you take a Shas'o with body guard with plasma and missle pods. Within rapid fire range on average you can allocate 1 plasma shot and 1 missle shot to whom ever you like. If you going against chaos it would be nice to allocate the plasma shot towards the icon bearer, missle launcher, etc. Although it would hard t be able to snipe a character with them taking wounds off them and placing them on other models that's within 6".

2. Another thing I noticed is units like wolfguard and paladins happen to be all characers. This being the case they can move wounds around the squad almost like having differant models in the squad in 5th. So instead of making models differant just stuff the unit wit as many characters as possible like nobs.

3. Characters can now challenge each other. In some ways it is good and bad. Like say the Avatar of Khaine is about to charge a squad of marines with a power fist seargent. With a challenge you can isolate the power fist guy from the rest of the squad, kill him, and finish off the squad the next turn. The problem with this is if the Avatar assaults a palladin squad. In essence he could get bogged down solo fighting each model for the rest of the game. It makes sense for the Avatar in the beginning to solo out models to get rid of the most threating models. The problem is when you reduce the squad to 3 models you might want to fight them as a whole, but than they will challenge the Avatar to keep him tied up for 3 combat rounds instead of 1-2.

The character aspect changes a lot of dynamics in game play. For example it might make more sense to take a jester and master in a Harliquin squad now to prevent a challenge towards your shadow seer. Although squads like Paladins have so many characters they could challenge your characters to prevent and isolate your Harliquin damage.

The Man They Call Jayne

It's exactly this that is making Nob Bikers so dangerous IMO. They are all characters, and so can all benefit from Look Out Sir! So even though wound allocation is gone, they can still do it.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 31, 2012, 06:11:42 AM
It's exactly this that is making Nob Bikers so dangerous IMO. They are all characters, and so can all benefit from Look Out Sir! So even though wound allocation is gone, they can still do it.
Yep. Paladins are exactly the same for Grey Knights. Because they needed a power boost, honest. ::) However Wolf Guard are only characters if they're split up and Tyranid Warriors aren't characters at all, so how they've decided who is and who isn't I don't know. :-\
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Chicop76

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on July 31, 2012, 06:14:56 AM
Yep. Paladins are exactly the same for Grey Knights. Because they needed a power boost, honest. ::) However Wolf Guard are only characters if they're split up and Tyranid Warriors aren't characters at all, so how they've decided who is and who isn't I don't know. :-\

Do not forget that Halbreds give them +1 strength with +2 int. With hammerhand they hitting at str 6, but with a libby they can hit at str 7 now at int 6. Yes they are now worst than before since all you have to do is give them all Halbreds and allocate away as characters.

Not to mention Halbreds are also ap 2. :facepalm001:

Cammerz

Quote from: Chicop76 on July 31, 2012, 12:11:22 AM
1. Let's say you take a Shas'o with body guard with plasma and missle pods. Within rapid fire range on average you can allocate 1 plasma shot and 1 missle shot to whom ever you like. If you going against chaos it would be nice to allocate the plasma shot towards the icon bearer, missle launcher, etc. Although it would hard t be able to snipe a character with them taking wounds off them and placing them on other models that's within 6".

I'd like to point out that the "Roll a 6 to hit to snipe a particular model" only works if you have a model, or more likely he has a weapon, with the Sniper Special Rule. And Crisis Battlesuits don't have that USR.

InsaneTD

Don't ICs also benefit from that rule?

Rej

Quote from: Cammerz on July 31, 2012, 07:19:57 AM
Quote from: Chicop76 on July 31, 2012, 12:11:22 AM

I'd like to point out that the "Roll a 6 to hit to snipe a particular model" only works if you have a model, or more likely he has a weapon, with the Sniper Special Rule. And Crisis Battlesuits don't have that USR.

Nope, Rolls of 6 with characters when shooting and when in combat are allocated by the controlling player. Page 63, the Rules Precision Shots and Precision Strikes.

EDIT: I got Ninja'd.

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on July 31, 2012, 07:36:42 AM
Don't ICs also benefit from that rule?

All characters benefit from the rule.
Phew...

Matt1785

Target Lock - This piece of wargear no longer helps Tau, go die horrible horrible deaths Tau players.

Why did they get rid of Target lock?  Does anyone know of any reason for them to ditch maybe one of the few things that made Tau a more potent shooting force?  I know that Tau shooting is good... but was it that game breaking that 1 of their guys could shoot at a different target?

The Man They Call Jayne

Tau shooting was just above average. It has be raised a bit to acceptable. Target locks were great. Although the points I spent on those now go on BSFs all round. They are pretty much essential now.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

knightperson

Quote from: Matt1785 on July 31, 2012, 03:19:46 PM
Target Lock - This piece of wargear no longer helps Tau, go die horrible horrible deaths Tau players.

Why did they get rid of Target lock?  Does anyone know of any reason for them to ditch maybe one of the few things that made Tau a more potent shooting force?  I know that Tau shooting is good... but was it that game breaking that 1 of their guys could shoot at a different target?

I haven't heard a good explanation, especially when the Space Wolves, who aren't even all that shooty, can do it at least as well as Tau formerly could. My personal theory is that they gave the task of writing the new FAQs to somebody who didn't know Jack about how the Tau worked. This guy, whoever he is, glanced at the wargear, saw that Target Lock (for infantry) had the phrase Target Priority Test in it, asked somebody what that meant, and was told "that's an old rule that doesn't mean anything anymore." Hearing that, he wrote that the entire Target Lock didn't do anything.  :facepalm001:

It better come back in some form in our rumoured New Codex.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Matt1785

I agree, Blacksun filters are a must in the new Edition, especially with tournaments seemingly just giving in and making all first turns a Night Fight scenario.  I see 3x 2 Broadsides laying low all major contenders vehicle wise turn 1 while the darkness keeps them hidden from return fire.

I am still sorely dissapointed by the ruling though.  As you said, Space Wolves being able to split even better sucks.  3 ML this way and 2 ML this way really is hard to swallow when we can't do anything with splitting anymore... although I will admit 6 TL S10 AP1 shots at 6 different targets is pretty damning with Night Vision!  But it's still not game breaking once you reach them... Or maybe that is pretty good...

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on July 31, 2012, 06:14:56 AM

If that's bad try normal nobs are characters but mega nobs are just infantry. :P

Also Paladins get beasted by TH/SS even more now. :P

- Will

Charistoph

Quote from: knightperson on July 31, 2012, 03:43:42 PM
Quote from: Matt1785 on July 31, 2012, 03:19:46 PM

I haven't heard a good explanation, especially when the Space Wolves, who aren't even all that shooty, can do it at least as well as Tau formerly could. My personal theory is that they gave the task of writing the new FAQs to somebody who didn't know Jack about how the Tau worked. This guy, whoever he is, glanced at the wargear, saw that Target Lock (for infantry) had the phrase Target Priority Test in it, asked somebody what that meant, and was told "that's an old rule that doesn't mean anything anymore." Hearing that, he wrote that the entire Target Lock didn't do anything.  :facepalm001:

It better come back in some form in our rumoured New Codex.

Someone suggested that it was only for the Battlesuit, since that version is the only one on the reference page.  Supposedly, this was to reduce Broadside advantages.  However, since the section referenced is Armoury and all other single references state the other armories, it applies to all in the referenced section.

Why is it that the first round of Amendments tend to be so piss poor?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Chicop76

I think spotlights are a WTF too. Before you had to roll night fight to see the target and than illuminate it. Now all you do is shot first and than illuminate what ever target you like. The only bad side effect is you can not get a cover save when you do so. My problem is if you have a squad of Harlequins with a night seer heading down the middle of the board. All I have to do is put a light on them and no more cover save with or without night fight in place.

It doesn't really become an issue until you're going against an army like guard where almost every vehicle in the army have a spotlight. Although vehicles are much easier to kill it remains to be seen if mech guard is no longer viable. With that said I have in the past stunned 15 vehicles in the last edition doing my alpha strike.

Tempest Six Two

Regarding moving vehciles, disembarking and then shooting- i beliive that disembarking (as embarking) is now up to 6" from the hull, which is pretty good! And my way of fluff-justifying the 'cannot assault from vehicles' (stationary or moving) is that non assault-vehicles usually have rear or side mounted entry points and are not large enough to quickly cram a load of peeps out all at the one time. Whereas with a Landraider or Stormraven- open the front hatch, roll up and chuck on the brakes- out they roll...

Also, Power weapons- i cant agree Chicop, for too long beating armour was a yes or no proposition- the current setup with differences, bonuses and modifiers is more like Second Ed but in a streamlined way.

Whilst I dont agree with Axes needing to be unwieldy (should just be -1 In IMO), I do agree with the Str Bonus. Looking to kit out some of my Sgts or Vets now with Axes and Meltabombs for some flexibility when dealing with Armour and MCs instead of just relying on a Fist. In some cases it may even come in cheaper, depending what squad it is.

My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m